Page 98 of 119 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 3561

Thread: What Are You Watching?

  1. #2911
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,199
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    also watched "when harry met sally" yesterday, which i had never seen. what a great movie.

    today, we watched david lynch's Dune, which i hadn't seen since i was about ten (like Krull). jeez, barron harkonen is nasty, but wtf with people thinking the film was homophobic because of the portrayal of that character?

  2. #2912
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Well he had an Eros/Thanatos rapport to his male slave, in that one scene. And his admiration for Feyd is kinda iffy. So you have a fat nasty floating psychopath with a subtext of homosexual desires (and incestuous ones too).

    But calling that homophobic feels like jumping the gun a little.

    Although you have to admit, adding an homosexual subtext to the vast array of murderous, sadistic, egomaniacal tendencies of that character feels a bit like throwing gays under the bus.
    As opposed to Paul the Human (as defined in the Gom-Jabbar scene) you have Vladimir the Beast, who manifestly happens to also like to fuck guys. Doesn't sound like being gay is a redeeming quality here.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.

  3. #2913
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,199
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Well he had an Eros/Thanatos rapport to his male slave, in that one scene. And his admiration for Feyd is kinda iffy. So you have a fat nasty floating psychopath with a subtext of homosexual desires (and incestuous ones too).

    But calling that homophobic feels like jumping the gun a little.

    Although you have to admit, adding an homosexual subtext to the vast array of murderous, sadistic, egomaniacal tendencies of that character feels a bit like throwing gays under the bus.
    As opposed to Paul the Human (as defined in the Gom-Jabbar scene) you have Vladimir the Beast, who manifestly happens to also like to fuck guys. Doesn't sound like being gay is a redeeming quality here.
    no, that's totally fair. BUT, the barron is gay and just as awful in the books, from my understanding...so if anything, the homophobic aspects come from the source text, not david lynch. the idea of lynch being homophobic is pretty laughable to me.

  4. #2914
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    no, that's totally fair. BUT, the barron is gay and just as awful in the books, from my understanding...so if anything, the homophobic aspects come from the source text, not david lynch. the idea of lynch being homophobic is pretty laughable to me.
    Well, the film would be homophobic insofar as it relays the book's portrayal, while Lynch could just have left that part on the cutting board, like he did with many other details. The Barron is indeed gay in the book, but is also a more nuanced character (even though the Harkonnen are pretty much a Big Bad Bunch). In the film his portrayal is just gross, you feel like he just earned power by brute force and malevolence, while in the book you know he is actually extremely intelligent, a fearsome strategist.
    What I mean is, in the book his homosexuality comes with a more nuanced characterization, and isn't portrayed as one more repulsive behavior. But the film just shows us his most caricatural and repugnant sides. If Lynch showed him to be a total bookworm, it would feel equally disgusting, and given the character's other characteristics it would feel like the movie's saying "AND the guy's a fucking egghead to top it off !".
    I'm not saying Lynch is homophobic, and indeed he's simply displaying what the book tells us. But since he's also cutting off everything that makes the Barron a bit more subtle than a Batman villain, the fact that he's gay ends up being the one cherry on a top of gross, while in the book it's just part of who the Harkonnen are : hedonists.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-03-2017 at 08:39 AM.

  5. #2915
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nowhp.
    Posts
    775
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    how many dune books have you read? (either or both of you lol)
    i have not seen the movie...is it worth watching?

  6. #2916
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    how many dune books have you read? (either or both of you lol)
    i have not seen the movie...is it worth watching?
    The film's still visually stunning, and I'm left craving for something even more ambitious. On the acting side, I'm a bit torn. And as far as adapting the book goes, I consider it a total catastrophe, but it couldn't have gone any other way.
    I think I've read them all (all the Frank Herbert ones anyway). The thing with Herbert is, he's awesome at world - building, not so great when it comes to things actually happening. The further the series goes, the less actually happens. You get tons of fantastic lore thrown at you, but the characters get literally recycled and there's very little action. His rhythm kinda sucks.
    I love love Dune, it's in my top five books, but you can't adapt it into film and have a great movie. There's just too much inner monologue and exposition needed to understand what happens, and why it happens.

  7. #2917
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nowhp.
    Posts
    775
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    yeah, i rarely watch something i can read...and i always wondered how much would be lost in translation...but thanks, @Khrz, i think i will watch it after all.
    i am due to reread them all...i am actually curious (and off to google in a sec) how many newer house books have come out, if at all.

    HOLY CRAP, man. better dust off the library card and hope they are stocked.
    a TON of new house books are out. fahk.
    Last edited by Lew; 01-03-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: done googled. done info-ed.

  8. #2918
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,199
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    how many dune books have you read? (either or both of you lol)
    i have not seen the movie...is it worth watching?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The film's still visually stunning, and I'm left craving for something even more ambitious. On the acting side, I'm a bit torn. And as far as adapting the book goes, I consider it a total catastrophe, but it couldn't have gone any other way.
    I think I've read them all (all the Frank Herbert ones anyway). The thing with Herbert is, he's awesome at world - building, not so great when it comes to things actually happening. The further the series goes, the less actually happens. You get tons of fantastic lore thrown at you, but the characters get literally recycled and there's very little action. His rhythm kinda sucks.
    I love love Dune, it's in my top five books, but you can't adapt it into film and have a great movie. There's just too much inner monologue and exposition needed to understand what happens, and why it happens.
    i haven't read any of them, actually. but i've read things ABOUT them, and after watching the movie, i looked in the appendices of the book (i own a lot of books i've never read, for some reason).

    on the general topic, i've been re-watching adventure time from the beginning. currently in the middle of season 2. i definitely don't enjoy the early episodes like i used to, which makes me wonder if the show actually stopped being good in the later seasons, or if i just lost my ability to enjoy it properly. feels weird, because i used to adore it.

  9. #2919
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Herts, United Kingdom
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    xfiles season 3

    and man in the high castle season 2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #2920
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    The Infiltrator
    The Shallows
    Sully

  11. #2921
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,383
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    @Harry Seaward

    Deepwater Horizon was decent, as was The Eyes of My Mother.
    I loved Blair Witch and The Conjuring 2 also.

    I know i saw some others and i will let you know when i remember them.

    The Lobster was pretty damn good.

    Anomalisa was fucking incredible but was a 2015 movie.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-05-2017 at 09:18 PM.

  12. #2922
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,383
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    also @Harry Seaward , thank you for posting that list.
    i will be checking some of them out tonight

  13. #2923
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    799
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just finished watching The Wire. Can't believe I waited till recently to start it. What a show. Tied for number 1 with The Sopranos for me. The episode that sticks out most to me is the season 3 finale. I've never been more satisfied from an hour of TV in my life. An hour of perfection.

  14. #2924
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,199
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    my wife had never seen 13 going on 30 (and i turned 30 on monday) so we got some razzles and watched it tonight.

    i forgot how much i love it, and i forgot that it was the beginning of my giant crush on mark ruffalo.

  15. #2925
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I just watched this and really enjoyed it. I can see why it got such mixed reviews. Very floaty and foggy and experimental.


  16. #2926
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kinnelon, NJ
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Saw Scorsese's SILENCE tonight. Powerful stuff. Thematically and otherwise, everything is so precise/deliberate one viewing feels like just the beginning. I can't wait to see it again. While discussing it with my brother on the way home, we were already stumbling on insights.

    *edit: lovely essay on Scorsese and SILENCE by my favorite film critic: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/...t-you-be-wrong
    Last edited by Deadpool; 01-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.

  17. #2927
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,383
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer all the way through for the 8th? 9th? time. This time with the wife.
    And i get goosebumps and tear up and shit.
    I'm such a geek; this is my secret geekdom.

  18. #2928
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)

  19. #2929
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Herts, United Kingdom
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    xfiles season 5


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  20. #2930
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle/Panama City, Panama
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just started watching Outlander; I'm almost done with Volume 1 of Season One. Gotta say I am enjoying it a lot and I really enjoy the setting and time period plus there is way more humor than I expected. Can't wait to see how the rest goes.

  21. #2931
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Netflix's Series of Unfortunate Events. I grew up with the books and it is amazing so far (I'm on episode 3 now). The casting is top-notch, the aesthetic is wonderful and the way that they've allowed Snicket's narration to serve as its own character in a Rod Serling Twilight Zone sort of way is delightfully organic. I'm loving this. It's so much of what the movie failed to be.

  22. #2932
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,199
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    Just started watching Outlander; I'm almost done with Volume 1 of Season One. Gotta say I am enjoying it a lot and I really enjoy the setting and time period plus there is way more humor than I expected. Can't wait to see how the rest goes.
    a couple of my friends do the Podlander Drunkcast (wherein they get drunk and talk about Outlander). not sure if you're into podcasts but i've heard it's pretty great.

  23. #2933
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,322
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    As I said in the Netflix thread:


  24. #2934
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Concrete Prairie, Texas
    Posts
    2,821
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    a couple of my friends do the Podlander Drunkcast (wherein they get drunk and talk about Outlander). not sure if you're into podcasts but i've heard it's pretty great.
    This sounds like a blast. Going to download.

    I've watch all of Outlander. Is there going to be another season?

    Just finished watching The Night Manager which was very good - Tom Hiddleston didn't deserve a Golden Globe for that acting Olivia Colman and Hugh Laurie were awesome. Spotted Tobias Menzies is in both shows - he is awesome and has a super sexy voice.

  25. #2935
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Herts, United Kingdom
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Man in the High Castle....

    started watching more of season 2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  26. #2936
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,199
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    been mostly housebound for the last few days so i've been watching "comfort" stuff, mostly the harry potter films. almost done with goblet of fire at the moment. definitely not my favorite of the films but still fun and entertaining.

  27. #2937
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,383
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    HOLy shit Patriots Day was SO good.

    The director was on to something with Deepwater Horizon and then really hit his stride with this one.
    I would LOVE to see more movies about recent history like this. I hope it becomes his "thing."

  28. #2938
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Is there a thread for La La Land? I couldn't find it. Anyways, very worth it to see this film. It could have been shortened by 15 minutes, but it really was a great breath of fresh air. More original stuff like this Hollywood.

  29. #2939
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Herts, United Kingdom
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    What Are You Watching?



    finally...
    Stranger Things; season 1 episode 1


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by InsecureSpike; 01-26-2017 at 04:38 PM.

  30. #2940
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Just rewatched this one for the first time. Forgot how beautiful it is:


Posting Permissions