Page 111 of 154 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 4612

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched Downsizing the other day. It tries to be so many different films throughout and I'm not sure if any of them really shine. It starts out with Ove the Scientist and they're going to save the world and everyone's happy! Then it's suddenly about human rights and how the little people shouldn't have the same rights as the big people and Mr. Tanaka getting drunk in the bar trying to start a fight. And then it was a body horror thing where they were shaving everyone and giving everyone enemas and taking everyone's fillings out of their mouths. And I'm sure other things, but thankfully it was just the fillings.

I could keep on going but it was a weird juxtaposition and that was maybe 20-30 minutes in. Though it was funny when my wife made a crack about "oh so who's going to shrink themselves to take care of all of these people" and then 15 minutes later we're in the slums with the people who were shrunk because a job is a job and then even later in the mini slums.

Kristen Wiig is good in her role but I'm pretty sure she was cast because of one of her SNL characters because she shows up with a bald head and missing an eyebrow that really reminded me of her on the show.

I wish they would have subtitled the languages more. On the flip side of that, I was annoyed that when they went to the OG settlement in Norway everyone was speaking English instead of their native language.

The best part of the film was that the sets looked appropriately tiny, and I don't know if they used tilt-shift to shoot or something but you definitly got a feeling that these were models being walked around, not just 'oh look they're tiny woo'. That by itself was pretty impressive.

The one part that I couldn't get past was the miniature technology. I know it's suspension of disbelief and all that but I just don't think you can shrink LCDs like that. The actual tech sure but aren't LCDs all one size?

Just remembered: The accent from Hong Chau at times made it sound like she was Vietnamese by way of the Deep South. There were so many times where it just sounded like a Georgia accent that I had to finally ask my wife if she was hearing it as well.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-10-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched both of the Jack Reacher movies. I'm not sure if Cruise was trying to be gritty or what but something was off. I enjoyed the story of the first one but not the acting so much and the second one I like the acting more but not the story (as much... started off well but then seems to just lose steam).

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    been doing a si fi Saturday and superhero Sunday this week it's 2011 the thing don't have a super hero movie lined up yet watched a batch last week
    -louie

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Mission Report: December 16th, 1991".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Went and saw The Meg yesterday, it's a fun movie. Really different from the book but I was expecting that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    this later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Just watched "sorry to bother you" quite a good movie.
    The trailer does not really spoil where the movie goes, which is great. Hate trailers these days because they show the whole movie. The movie changes course 2/3 into the film and you are totally not prepared for what you are about to see. It's such a great surprise. Go see if if its playing in your area. It's a great watch.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Upgrade. "Budget: $5,000,000" only, but for me this is the best movie of 2018 so far, seriously.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Upgrade. "Budget: $5,000,000" only, but for me this is the best movie of 2018 so far, seriously.

It's on my list (we don't get it until the end of the month...boo!)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not watching at this second, but this is the best place to post this. They're doing a few showings of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings (extended) trilogy in theaters near me and I'm loving it. I saw Fellowship on Sunday, and I just bought my tickets to see Two Towers/Return of the King. Gonna have to load up on snacks for those last two as they're 4 hours each extended. Can't wait to see them on the big screen again!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    watched the japanese film tag. it made zero sense. wtf?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    watched the japanese film tag. it made zero sense. wtf?
    A woman is cast adrift into an increasingly bizarre set of alternate realities in which each scenario ends in bloody carnage.
    that sounds pretty weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven’t seen anyone talking about “The Sinner” starring Jessica Biel.

Holy shit.

I love the vibe, the pacing, the way the story unfolds. Really good stuff. And that BBD song is infectious.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I started paying attention to Gilmore Girls and now I'm addicted. I love it. Rory is a monster, however.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well i was going to go see Upgrade (a film i'd been following since it got a decent write up in the states a few months back) but unfortunately Cineworld (who i have my cinema all i can watch in a month card with) is only showing it in one 'London' cinema (i'lll use london loosely considering how far out it is!) which is a 2 hour trip from me on public transport...and only showing at 9 and 11, which thanks to some late night engineering works on said public transport i'd need to get there, would mean i wouldn't be able to get home...so i can't see it.

I could go to one of the many other cinema chains to see it (one is showing it actually IN central London) just the whole point of the card was so i just paid once a month to see all the films, and just checking the price they want the same price i pay a month for a single ticket at the weekend...i'm better off waiting for a DVD with that price ...i was really looking forward to this film as well

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My 600lb life, it's so addicting!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Just finished watching this.... if you like quick dialogue and a murder plot, well... check it out. It is, however, a bit messed up.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Getting ready to.watch Castle Rock finale, YEEEAH!

Also Better Call Saul is probably the best show on tv. If you're a breaking bad fan, you REALLY need to watch it. Apparently it catches up to the BB timeline this season, and Walter and Jesse WILL appear in future seasons.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Halfway through Season 6 of House MD. Got through it pretty quickly. Probably going to finish Luke Cage afterwards, then Iron Fist season 2. So hyped for Daredevil season 3.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Almost caught up with The Handmaid’s Tale. I’d read the book twice but many years ago and this was still really hard to get through without feeling emotionally and physically drained.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    Almost caught up with The Handmaid’s Tale. I’d read the book twice but many years ago and this was still really hard to get through without feeling emotionally and physically drained.
    I just fully caught up last night. Agree 100% about that last part. During the S2 finale, pay attention to something Waterford is looking at on his desk if you want more info about the greater Gilead mythology.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The Mummy (2017)

There is a friend-turned-imaginary-zombie-sidekick that makes jokes and gives advice to Tom Cruise.

This movie is garbage. The exception being the absolutely beautiful Sofia Boutella.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 09-12-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    The Mummy (2017)

There is a friend-turned-imaginary-zombie-sidekick that makes jokes and gives advice to Tom Cruise.

This movie is garbage. The exception being the absolutely beautiful Sofia Boutella.
    oh my god, that image hahaha

the friend is played by Jake Johnson (aka Nick Miller from New Girl), right?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh my god, that image hahaha

the friend is played by Jake Johnson (aka Nick Miller from New Girl), right?
    That image is probably my favorite thing to come out of this movie, heh.

But yeah! That’s him. And don’t get me wrong, he was funny. Comic relief was achieved. If they’re trying to stick to the previous Mummy franchise’s sense of comedy/adventure, then that’s one thing. But everything I saw promoting this movie was just “dark dark dark, scary, evil, rawr, Tom cruise,” not “lol oops I’m in the women’s bathroom instead of the men’s, premature ejaculation jokes, lololololo, shenanigans.” I just didn’t feel like there was much horror or depth there. Kind of a let down, because I’d love to see a mummy movie that’s...actually a little scary.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I've just seen Upgrade and it's my favorite scifi of last couple of years.

Spoiler: When Stem killed Fisk and told Grey to listen to his phone calls, it occurred to me it might be Stem who is behind it all, because it probably wouldn't be that difficult for Stem to synthesize Eron's voice and play whatever voicemail he wanted. But the way it ended really fucked me up anyway.

All around absolutely amazing movie. I'm kinda bummed I didn't go to see this in theatre, this movie absolutely deserved it. The box office it got is absolutely shameful, but I had a part in this also.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Norm Macdonald Has a Show on Netflix will be occupying most of my time for the next few days.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Caught the S6 finale of Elementary tonight... I'm hoping the final scene was an indicator that they are gearing the show towards their apparently larger international audience. (hope that wasn't too much of a spoiler)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

me and my daughter watched these as she grew up, so obviously they make me feel good when I feel bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Michael Palin in North Korea, interesting.
    http://www.channel5.com/show/michael...n-north-korea/

Also, I'm watching The First and after three episodes, so far so very good.
    https://www.hulu.com/series/the-firs...b-a3cec5fd1242

Also, new season of South Park started, yay! :-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 09-27-2018 at 03:20 AM.