Page 129 of 154 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 4618

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Just finished Underworld (had to spread it out over two days) and am currently watching Battle: Los Angeles. Disappointed in myself.
    Battle: LA is pretty good actually. I liked it way more than I thought I would. Not winning any Oscars but good action and shot well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Vivarium was great. What did you think in MEANT, though? We thought it was about being trapped in suburbia and traditional roles/expectations.

For you, I recommend She's Allergic to Cats and Horse Girl.
    Throw me a couple of your beloved reccomendations, if you have any.
    Great question!! Still not sure how I interpreted it, but it perpetually made me think of Womb (see below). I quickly found this interview with the director after watching and this quote regarding its inspiration is interesting: "Finnegan describes him and co-writer Garret Shanley’s inspiration from the film came from the socio-political environment of Ireland in the early 2000s, as the 'economic boom and subsequent crash' of the economy led the building of numerous housing developments that were left empty."

Oddly enough, Vivarium also reminded me of Womb starring Eva Green. Ever see it? I could only watch it once. Very intense but I remember liking it. Would be curious to know your thoughts!

Also, while we're talking about isolation movies that stick to one indoor location, I've been recommending The Invitation (on Netflix) and Coherence (should be on Prime Video) to *everyone* I meet for years. I absolutely adore both of those films and they make a great double feature.

EDIT: I saw Horse Girl a couple months ago! Whoa, that was intense and trippy. I need to read some theories on that still because it left me reeling in a good way. Loved how weird it got. And I'll def check out the other one – thanks for the recommendations! Appreciate it!
    Last edited by Deadpool; 05-09-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yay, Gervais' After Life season 2 is out, I loved this little secret thingy, don't tell anybody about it, it's mine. I'm including trailer without even watching it. ;-)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Also, while we're talking about isolation movies that stick to one indoor location, I've been recommending The Invitation (on Netflix) and Coherence (should be on Prime Video) to *everyone* I meet for years. I absolutely adore both of those films and they make a great double feature.
    coherence is one of (if not my #1) favorite indie sci-fi films. so well-thought-out and intriguing.

the invitation was amazing. such a pervasive sense of dread. i watched in months ago and have still been thinking about it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    coherence is one of (if not my #1) favorite indie sci-fi films. so well-thought-out and intriguing.

the invitation was amazing. such a pervasive sense of dread. i watched in months ago and have still been thinking about it.
    Hell yes!! I've completely lost count of how many times I've seen both films. I'm still noticing things in both. <3

I even flew from NJ to Los Angeles at the beginning of 2020 to see a screening of Coherence with a full crowd (significant since I'd only ever watched on a TV screen til then) that doubled as a cast reunion + Q&A. Writer/director Jim Byrkit was there too and he had some seriously awesome insights.

When I told him and the cast that I came from the East Coast they were flattered and it turned into a really, really nice and memorable evening. We got to chat one-on-one afterwards and he's a genuinely cool, down-to-Earth dude. Really hoping he's able to get another feature off the ground soon. He so deserves it.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 05-13-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

This was a solid coming of age flick. As I approach 40 it's nice to see how filmmakers update these kind of stories for modern times, and to see that executed well. Pete Davidson is really good playing a piece of shit screw-up. Shocker right? There's some unrealistic silliness in the film's third act with the big party scene, but it doesn't really detract from the overall impact. Nice to see Jon Crier too. Anyone else catch it?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Watching the second season of Altered Carbon. Very good. Less convoluted than a lot of recent sci-fi.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Since I’m basically done with the book the wife and I started American Gods. That show is straight eye candy!! Holy cow what a beautiful show. And so far the story is in line with the book, give it take a few slight differences. Really enjoying it but I can see how people who haven’t read the book (my wife) could be totally lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    During lunch yesterday my son asked me about a soundtrack on his ipod. I asked him to show it to me and it was the Dr. Horrible soundtrack. If you recall he listens to his entire library on random so I asked him if he had listened to the whole thing or just one song. He said he heard one song but liked it to much he made a point of listening to the whole thing. I asked him if he liked it and he said yeah, just wasn't sure if it belonged to something or not. So I went and grabbed the blu-ray and said we'd watch it after.

God there are so many truly wonderful parts to this thing. That's not to say there aren't some bits that stood out as 'sucks teeth' icky here and there but a lot of that's just mores changing.

I hope there isn't a sequel, I just don't see how it would work.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Since I’m basically done with the book the wife and I started American Gods. That show is straight eye candy!! Holy cow what a beautiful show. And so far the story is in line with the book, give it take a few slight differences. Really enjoying it but I can see how people who haven’t read the book (my wife) could be totally lost.

not really a spoiler to post this, i promise. but it's gonna make you laugh HARD when you get to this point.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

not really a spoiler to post this, i promise. but it's gonna make you laugh HARD when you get to this point.
    Haha I’ve already seen a few of those scenes. Just finished season one and now we need to start season 2. Since it’s in Starz and we don’t have that, my choice is either pay to get stars or find the season cheap on dvd. Maybe the latter. Loved season 1. Finished the book up until the point of the epilogue which I’ll either finish tonight or tomorrow. Really enjoying it as a whole, and I think it’s safe to say the show is almost unlike anything I’ve seen before. Hoping season 2 delivers and that the upcoming season does too!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Had anyone watched Mythic Quest yet? I was super surprised to see it got pretty good reviews.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Just finished up Happy! It went to Netflix after Syfy cancelled it. Wow, what a bonkers show. Loved it. Christopher Meloni completely bought in & went ham every episode. Hope someone picks up it up and does season 3, b/c man did they clearly leave it to keep going.

Starting Runaways seasons 2 & 3 now, preparing for disappointment b/c season 1 fell flat after good start for me. I'll be watching while continuing to add album art to my music collection though, so maybe i wont hate it since i wont be paying complete attention haha.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    if you have a device that can use it, download the PlutoTV app. it's 100% free, there's a ton of on-demand content, and a ton of "live tv" including 24/7 channels for mst3k, rifftrax, rupaul's drag race, and AMERICAN GLADIATORS. we have watched so much old school american gladiators in the last couple days it's ridiculous and glorious.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    my favorite part:

Last edited by bobbie solo; 05-17-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Starting Runaways seasons 2 & 3 now
    S3 felt like it tried to squeeze in a S4 / series ending plot that they really liked by then had to take away from the initial S3 plot (and the build up of S1 and S2 into it). I dunno... I'm not much into the teenage angst shows (see also; The Gifted). So I pause the episodes and yell at the characters kinda often... but I'm better now. So much better now.

Have you watched Cloak & Dagger? It might still be a teenage angst show but the larger scope of the stories made it worth watching for me. S3 of Runways has a crossover episode...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Just finished up Happy! It went to Netflix after Syfy cancelled it. Wow, what a bonkers show. Loved it. Christopher Meloni completely bought in & went ham every episode. Hope someone picks up it up and does season 3, b/c man did they clearly leave it to keep going..
    I was all-in for the Happy show until I read the book. From reading the wiki blurbs on the episodes they seem to do a much better job of moving the story, unlike the book that was a two-book burnout of running at full speed but going nowhere. They spent two books just telling you how much of an asshole Sax is and it goes nowhere. The underlying story was typical Grant Morrison.

I did however watch the first few minutes of the show - netflix autoplay - and I 100% agree with you on him going ham. wow.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Happy! the show expands so much more on everything than the comic. Not really comparable. Second season is completely new and original too obviously.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    S3 felt like it tried to squeeze in a S4 / series ending plot that they really liked by then had to take away from the initial S3 plot (and the build up of S1 and S2 into it). I dunno... I'm not much into the teenage angst shows (see also; The Gifted). So I pause the episodes and yell at the characters kinda often... but I'm better now. So much better now.

Have you watched Cloak & Dagger? It might still be a teenage angst show but the larger scope of the stories made it worth watching for me. S3 of Runways has a crossover episode...
    I basically hate every one of these kids for the dumb decisions they make and want bad things to happen to them. Parents too. Basically no one is likable on the show. I'm watching in the background now while I do other things.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I basically hate every one of these kids for the dumb decisions they make and want bad things to happen to them. Parents too. Basically no one is likable on the show. I'm watching in the background now while I do other things.
    On the bright side, there is a dinosaur. And Dale.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    On the bright side, there is a dinosaur. And Dale.
    The raptor is cool for sure. I'm almost done with season 2. I think the show would be infinitely better if THINGS HAPPENED. They spend so many episodes dicking around. These kids all have powers/abilities and barely use them. Standard free TV trap that we would see 15-20 years ago. If they fought alot more and used their abilities more often it would improve the show a ton.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think the show would be infinitely better if THINGS HAPPENED.
    S3 has that... and still tedium.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I have been binge-watching Brad Mondo videos all day. For some reason it's just perfect. And he stays positive even though some people seriously jack up their hair.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    On season 3 of Stranger Things, so good.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Watched Coherence tonight. Had already seen The Invitation and liked it.

Coherence was....just okay. I found it distracting how low budget it looked. In the first five minutes I couldn’t decide if it was a found footage film or just low budget. Turned out it was the latter. The story was intriguing but it would have been nice to SEE things happening rather than to just hear a group of people talking about them. Would have been nice to see them walk through the dark space into another reality, or to see the comet more often, etc. I found that for the most part, if I had muted the movie and tried to figure out what was happening, I wouldn’t have been able to because it didn’t show a lot of what was supposedly occurring. Thought the last quarter was better than more of the rest of the movie .

Maybe I just need to re watch it, but I thought the premise has potential but the execution was totally meh. I liked the invitation much better.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so apparently if you're a DirecTV subscriber, you get HBOMAX for free. besides the new looney tunes stuff, they have a large number of the classic ones (including the REALLY old black & white stuff). the amount of excitement that welled up inside me and then exploded when i saw that was ridiculous.

also there are a TON of movies on there (way more than HBOGO) and i'm really looking forward to watching Legendary

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I did not know about the Looney Tunes, cool. I have the blu-ray releases but it'd be nice to be able to watch them without that extra step. Yes, I'm lazy.

One thing that bugs me about the roll out is that I can't put it on my Pixel tablet but it's on my Pixel phone. And I've heard that it's not on the Amazon Fire Stick? I do have one of the Xfinity Flex devices but I've used it for probably less than an hour total so I don't know if it's there or not. Might try it out though just to see. The interface is so clunky though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Re-watched "Ready Player One" because I wanted to be distracted... the pacing is just terrible. Too fast and skipping over details that, I think, made the novel interesting.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    The wife and I started watching Community on Netflix. While it’s not as laugh out loud funny as I was hoping, we’re both really enjoying it. I think it has a similar appeal as The Office did with people: they love to watch a show like this and live vicariously through the characters and the friendships they make.

I can see this series as becoming a favorite of mine.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    What timing, we also just rewatched RPO and finished Community!

You're right that RPO was oddly paced. There are bits where it's done very well - the race for example - but then it's just weird in others - like "gimme that" when he takes the guy's gun. The book could not have been filmed, especially the whole intro bit where you have to find the first challenge before moving on, that doesn't fit a movie's sensibilities. On the flip side, there are so many easter eggs in the film that last for less than a second that it's a bit of 'eyes glassed over' in those scenes.

Community was a great watch. Went through all six seasons in about a month or so, speed will vary based on free time of course but the shorter seasons kind of zoomed right along. It's interesting thinking about the show as a whole because you can see how the characters changed. Not all of them did the typical sitcom thing where they zoom in on a character and that becomes their trait.

I also loved how the show made such an effort to let you know there are background characters but they aren't just background all the time. I know other shows do it as well but how often do you see sub-main characters just walking around in the background so it doesn't look like a typical TV show but instead an actual, dare I say it, community with people instead of extras who just wanted the $50 for the day?