Page 139 of 154 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 4619

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I've got sucked into Search Party.
    Modern day mystery starring Alia Shawkat.
    I was surprised to learn that it's has 4 season already.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm about an hour into Coming 2 America now, and there has been one funny moment.
    I think this movie might be really bad... which is a bummer.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I tried watching The Sopranos about 10 years ago. Gave up after 3 episodes - I was bored the fuck out of it.

Fast forward to 2021. Decided to give it another chance... Bam! It's amazing. Being 33 instead of 23 makes a world of difference, I feel like I can relate to Tony much better now after being a sort of an adult for a while. Oh, and maybe watching it in original English dub also helped.
    Last edited by fillow; 03-08-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I tried watching The Sopranos about 10 years ago. Gave up after 3 episodes - I was bored the fuck out of it.

Fast forward to 2021. Decided to give it another chance... Bam! It's amazing. Being 33 instead of 23 makes a world of difference, I feel like I can relate to Tony much better now after being a sort of an adult for a while. Oh, and maybe watching it in original English dub also helped.
    wait till you get to the last two seasons. Good chance you'll be bored again.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This plays so different being 20 years older now, and especially within the last 12 months.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally getting into a Babylon 5 re-watch. The pilot movie and ep1 still hold up well.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Double Feature this past weekend.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    there's a track on The Mandalorian S2 soundtrack called Sorcerer. I have to wonder if it's because there's an episode that is basically the plot of the movie.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Double Feature this past weekend.

Which one you liked more?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tough choice. They are both great.

The grim and suffocating tension of Sorcerer is bar none. It is hard to compete with Friedkin's 70s grit. The sparse use of the Tangerine Dream soundtrack adds a lot to the film. All the shots of the trucks and hands operating heavy machinery is visceral. The sequence on the rope bridge is huge and unreal. Ultimately, I have to go with Wages of War. It does a better job with the characters. I felt more emotionally invested in what happened to those men and therefore the story itself. The acting is better overall in Wages of War. I read that none of the actors in Sorcerer were Friedkin's first choice. He wanted Steve McQueen to play the lead. That's a movie I would have loved to see since McQueen is able to sell so much feeling and emotion with his eyes only. Roy Shreider is ok but no leading man. I loved that part in Sorcerer when the French dude is with his wife and she is talking about the book she is editing. The books says something about the narrator seeing a soldier deciding the fate of some woman and then wondering who will decide their fate. Sorcerer was all about fate while Wages of War seems to focus more on capitalist plunder. I didn't love the very end of Wages of War. Not so much what happens but how out of nowhere it happens. As I said, both are great.

Can you pick a favourite?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I.watched The Little Things, and I'm confused about why people didn't like the ending. I thought it was fucking GREAT.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Drive to Survive season 3, yes! (F1, Netflix)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched Bill & Ted Face the Music and it was at times better than it had any right to be and at times pretty bad. I don't like Beck Bennett when he tries to be weird and this was him trying to be very weird.

Dennis Caleb McCoy was great up until he became an actual character. that scene of him on the ground being kicked by the inmates? I was howling at his reactions. then he became a pseudo-integral part of the movie and it wasn't as good.

Legit cried twice, once for Rufus and second for when Kelly's mom said "Rufus would be so proud of you". No idea why.

I kind of like that the princesses were different so that every movie had a different person in the princess role. And they're even almost age-appropriate as the actresses are in their 40s and Bill & Ted are in their 50s. Though they brought Ted's dad back, I don't know why Bill's wasn't. He's still alive so that's not it.

Didn't much care for the girls, but that's probably because they were too much like Bill & Ted. No one in the 00s would act like they were in the 80s, regardless of who their parents are.

Also the plan to kill Bill & Ted from the future was dumb because it should be clear to them, having lived through this already, what happened at MP 46. not sure on the time travel / alt timeline aspect of that part of the story.

I give it a B- overall. I didn't think they could do it and it was alright.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Got nostalgic and started binging Black Sails again on STARZ, good pirate series.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Father (2020)

Wow, this was... uncomfortable, and I'll watch it again. Hopkins is amazing.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I've started watching the Zatoichi movies and holy fuck there's like 26 of them PLUS a 4 season 100 episode TV series, all with the same actor. It will take me a while to go through everything and I'll be doing it slow because i don't want to burn myself out but I'm looking forward to watching these. I would love to have that Criterion box set but it's crazy money.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Watched two great movies recently. First, I finally got around to Promising Young Woman and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Did not go where I expected it to.

Then last night I watched Supernova and balled my eyes out. I cried five separate times (yes, I counted). Stanley Tucci and Colin Firth were both wonderful. It's a very simple, very quiet movie but it was very moving and beautiful.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I was watching a YouTube video on the "mortal kombat iceberg," and started remembering how much amazing lore there was in the first few games, and secrets to be discovered. I haven't kept up.

And, NOW, I'm watching this web series, Mortal Kombat Legacy, and, good LORD. The episodes are short, and I'm only a few episodes in, but, WOW: this should be the pitch for a multi season HBO show or something.

Apparently, this web series was adapted from a short film that was supposed to be a movie pitch, and I'm stunned that it wasn't picked up. The new movie looks like fun, but the realistic, character driven take in this web series is REALLY cool.

Edit: here's the thing, if you're into it. This is WAY better than I expected out of a web series AND Mortal Kombat.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-31-2021 at 05:55 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I finally started watching "Zero Zero Zero" on Amazon and damn, it's excellent. I also love the score by Mogwai.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Pacific Rim: The Black is fun, trope embracing anime set in the PacRim universe. Quick commitment too...7 20-25 minutes. I enjoyed it alot and will def. watch the second season.

Onto Solar Opposites S2 now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Started watching the Hulu Animaniacs... first episode made me laugh, so... I'm in.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw The Nevers last night on HBO Max, loved it. I'm sure there will be sneering that it's a Joss Whedon show, but I really liked the first episode.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished up a re-watching of the Watchmen series.

So good.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the Bob Odenkirk movie, Nobody. If you like John Wick style action, you'll like this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Men in Kilts. I mean what more could one want than watching Outlander's Jamie Fraser in a kilt traversing Scotland and showing beautiful places, Scottish whiskey and traditions, and history. I suppose I'm missing Outlander quite a bit!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I just sat down and watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and holy shit... that is without question one of the best films ever made. I think the last time I saw it I was maybe twenty or something... but it still felt like a "family movie." It's crazy that it is still billed that way in the caption. This is NOT a kid's movie, at allllllllllll. In a lot of ways, it's incredibly fucked up. But more importantly, it's just pretty much a perfect film.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just sat down and watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and holy shit... that is without question one of the best films ever made.
    Maniacal Christopher Lloyd is nightmare fuel. "P-p-p-p-plllEEEEEze Eddy!"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Shadow and Bone on Netflix is really good. Finished the whole series already.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I watched “The Sound of Metal” on Friday night.

I really liked it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    As a big WW2 movie buff I had to give this one a try eventhough I have a huge dislike for Chloe Grace Moretz... but this was fun!

I was quite amazed by the creature design and atmosphere during the first half of the movie. It get's pretty bonkers in the second half, but on the fun side of things. Plus the soundtrack really nails it for me, kind of like a combination of Carpenter Brut and TR/AR.