Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154
Results 4,591 to 4,613 of 4613

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I heard somewhere that the Jason Statham action movie The Beekeeper was good. I watched it and it wasn't, it was a cheap version of John Wick. Jeremy Irons is fun to watch though.
    The Beekeeper did remind me of the John Wick films, but with political intrigue. I honestly enjoyed The Beekeeper a little more.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the movie "Permanent Midnight" ... it is a good movie, but definitely showing that addictions aren't healthy. As different from "Trainspotting" or "Requiem For A Dream" as they are from each other... but that, uh, the same vein of topic. I don't need to keep but I am glad I've re-watched it for the first time since I rented it pre-2k...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Just finished watching the movie "Permanent Midnight" ... it is a good movie, but definitely showing that addictions aren't healthy. As different from "Trainspotting" or "Requiem For A Dream" as they are from each other... but that, uh, the same vein of topic. I don't need to keep but I am glad I've re-watched it for the first time since I rented it pre-2k...
    Crazy story based on Jerry Stahl's life.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just saw Battle Royale by Kinji Fukasaku. I didn't really care for it. It's one of Tarantino's favorite films (Kill Bill was modeled after it). But Kill Bill was fun, had a great protagonist, and the bad guys had it coming. This movie was just unpleasant.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched Drive-Away Dolls last weekend. I should have taken the whole "there are ten showings for the entire weekend" thing to heart and waiting until it was on video: There were five people in the theater, including me and my wife. The movie is fine, maybe a little less than fine in places, and man was it stretched to fit a 'movie' run time. Like this is as close to a novella as you can get with a movie, i.e. not quite a book but not a short story either.

I've been reading up on it and apparently the movie is a lot more fun if you're a huge Coen Brothers fan and catch all the references. So I guess it's also basically a greatest hits album?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Anyone watching Shogun?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Anyone watching Shogun?
    Recorded on DVR

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Anyone watching Shogun?
    Are you kidding me? I've watched the first two episodes 3 times since they dropped. I've been waiting for this for YEARS.

We are not worthy of Hiroyuki Sanada.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's that good, huh?
    I always loved the old miniseries, even with the classic white savior trope cranked to 11

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's that good, huh?
    I always loved the old miniseries, even with the classic white savior trope cranked to 11
    Oh yes it is. It's extraordinary.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Extraordinary on Hulu / Disney +

Watched the first season last spring and it was pretty funny so we were excited for the second, which went live yesterday.

Found a video on some of the fun powers they have on the show. It's so dumb, especially some of the ones not in this video, but always inventive.

Last edited by allegate; 03-07-2024 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just rewatched the entirety of The Leftovers, and man... what a series. Amazing how a lot of the messages reflect what is going on in my life, at the moment.

The thought provoking moments, the ambiguity, the execution of the acting, it has everything.

One of my favorite quotes:

Kevin: Why isn't it enough?

Kevin Sr:
    Because every man rebels against the idea that "This is fucking it." Fights windmills, saves fucking damsels, all in search of greater purpose...

... You have no greater purpose, because "It" is enough... So cut the shit, K?

Nora:
    Terrible things happen in this world, and the only comfort we get, is that we didn't cause them.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-07-2024 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Started Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Prime, really good so far!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Anyone watching Shogun?
    It's really good but that Jeremy-Irons-turned-to-11 guy could tone down the shouting a bit. holy crap dude.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    It's really good but that Jeremy-Irons-turned-to-11 guy could tone down the shouting a bit. holy crap dude.
    Well, he's a barbarian and everyone who speaks Portuguese is a damn Papist. No offense, Mariko-sama.

Aren't you glad you understand Portuguese so well?

I am so glad they are telling the story from the perspective of Toranaga. Shogun never was about Blackthorne; it's about how Toranaga's cunning and genius allowed him to defeat his enemies. Although he does care about them, Lady Mariko and Anjin-san are pawns in the dangerous game he's playing.

Reading about all the real life persons there characters are based on is absolutely fascinating.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Well, he's a barbarian and everyone who speaks Portuguese is a damn Papist. No offense, Mariko-sama.

Aren't you glad you understand Portuguese so well?

I am so glad they are telling the story from the perspective of Toranaga. Shogun never was about Blackthorne; it's about how Toranaga's cunning and genius allowed him to defeat his enemies. Although he does care about them, Lady Mariko and Anjin-san are pawns in the dangerous game he's playing.

Reading about all the real life persons there characters are based on is absolutely fascinating.
    I don't know much about that time in Japanese history (or much of Japanese history before that), so I need to read about it!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't know much about that time in Japanese history (or much of Japanese history before that), so I need to read about it!
    It's fantastic on every aspect. It's an eye opener.

In other news: boy am I feeling the Kenergy. All hail the Gosling!

And my man RDJ; I love you.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

lol

holy crap, they got the other Kens too?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished watching "The Peripheral" series... yeah that was really good.
    Too bad about the S2 probabilities at this point (strikes killed the time line)...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anyone else watching the 2024 season of Gladiators UK? I am, and I cant get enough of it.

There has been a number of spin offs/reboots over the years, but this one really nails it. Fun to watch, engaging, gladiators that both physically intimidating, attractive and charismatic at the same time, captures the tone of the original shows, awesome licensed music, great balance of cheese with seriousness, good humor, a great mix of classic and new games (the Edge is AWESOME!), just all around a fun show for someone like me who grew up watching the original shows. I could go on and on and on. Really looking forward to the finals and hopefully it gets picked up for another season!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 03-26-2024 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Anyone else watching the 2024 season of Gladiators UK? I am, and I cant get enough of it.

There has been a number of spin offs/reboots over the years, but this one really nails it. Fun to watch, engaging, gladiators that both physically intimidating, attractive and charismatic at the same time, captures the tone of the original shows, awesome licensed music, great balance of cheese with seriousness, good humor, a great mix of classic and new games (the Edge is AWESOME!), just all around a fun show for someone like me who grew up watching the original shows. I could go on and on and on. Really looking forward to the finals and hopefully it gets picked up for another season!
    Is it on BBC or something?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is it on BBC or something?
    Yup, BBC one I think it's what it airs on.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    The Truth vs Alec Jones. Excellent documentary.