Page 115 of 154 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 4613

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I just watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It was absolutely hauntingly great. I'm going to be thinking about it for days. I've run out of friends and family members to gush about this movie to, so I figured I ought to praise it here too. It's an absolute must watch.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We saw Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” today.

Very technically good but brutal, ugh.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Just starting up Kim's Convenience (on Netflix in the US) per a relative's recommendation.

I have literally no connection to Korean culture whatsoever, but given that it was created by a Korean immigrant and generally regarded as not being a bunch of stereotypical garbage, I've found it interesting so far.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Is anyone else watching The Magicians? Because this show is a gem. And it's hitting you hard in all them feels.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Made my wife watch Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones the other day. That movie did not age well at all.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Is anyone else watching The Magicians? Because this show is a gem. And it's hitting you hard in all them feels.
    when i was dealing with pretty bad insomnia for a while, i would put it on in the background after my wife went to sleep. it's got some great elements but holy shit quentin fucking sucks, and there are some aspects of the show that just really piss me off. it's also brutally upsetting at times. anyway, i think i got partway through season 2 and stopped, may pick it back up eventually.

currently watching The Matrix with my wife. she's only seen it once and i've probably seen it in excess of 50 times (no, really) but haven't watched it for probably ten years? still absolutely adore it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    when i was dealing with pretty bad insomnia for a while, i would put it on in the background after my wife went to sleep. it's got some great elements but holy shit quentin fucking sucks, and there are some aspects of the show that just really piss me off. it's also brutally upsetting at times. anyway, i think i got partway through season 2 and stopped, may pick it back up eventually.
    Quentin, in the first two seasons, was in dire need of a couple or slaps behind the head. One just wanted to shake him up into waking up and stop being an oversized toddler. He does get better though. And yes, this show does come with pretty serious trigger warnings. However, season 3 was amazing. The episode A Life in a Day is on par with Buffy's The Body, according to a majority of critics; and I agree. And season four is promising to be even better. Also: Margo Hanson is love; mad, undying love.

Currently watching I Am The Night starring Chris Pine at his best.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Man, I just finished Creed 2, which is VERY much Rocky 8.
    I fucking loved it. I love all those movies, especially the way they're like, haunted by the past. I love it that they're sad but still uplifting. I've been watching them since the eighties and just realized that, holy shit, this franchise is forty...three years old now?
    I think they are Stallone's magnum opus as a writer,.director and actor.

Creed 2 rhymed very, very nicely with Rocky 4, and is haunted by Apollo and Adrian. It gave me all the feels, and I may have teared up a few times.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the Rocky franchise, this is a must-see. It's not just a cash grab or a reboot: it's actually a reasonably logical and poetic continuation of the saga, and, I would say, perfectly captures the tone of its predecessors: yes, it's a bit melodramatic, sort of.dark, and slightly over the top, but those elements are part of why we love these movies so much (my wife and i.)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Any Jeopardy nerds? This tournament is awesome.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    YES! Been watching every day, been so much fun.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    The Final Jeopardy questions have been tough, I haven't been able to get any. I felt so bad for Alan last night. Ken and Matt are monsters!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Final Jeopardy questions have been tough, I haven't been able to get any. I felt so bad for Alan last night. Ken and Matt are monsters!
    I LOVE Ken!!!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I can't believe Alex lost the whole bet on Friday. That was mouth dropping!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    it's March...so my college bball viewing has gone into overdrive. best time of year. Selection Sunday in less than two weeks!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Recently I've been rewatching Hannibal. That last episode ...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Finished Netflix's Sex Education the other day. That was a fun and awkward ride.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Recently I've been rewatching Hannibal. That last episode ...
    can't remember if i've recommended this to you, but i created an EP inspired by the show after i finished watching it and you may enjoy it <3 (also on all streaming services)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Jeopardy finale was great

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Spiderverse is pretty fun.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I LOVE it, and tried out for it several years back, but didn't quite make it. :/

But here's the thing: the questions seem a bit harder during the tournament shows. That's why I was frustrated that all we got on Netflix was tournament of champions.
    Like, I'm knowledgeable, but not THAT knowledgeable, not championship level knowledgeable, and I watch it because I wanna play along, but I CAN'T when the questions are extra hard. I know this isn't a problem for some of you.
    On a side note, God bless Alex.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So, Studio 54 doc on Netflix was stunning. It made my brain hurt and my jaw clench up, in fact, because it made me feel like I had eaten too many ecstasies, BECAUSE: the footage of the inside, the lights and the dancing and free love and drag queens and crazy fashion- it was SO reminiscent of the rave scene in the late 90s. They said "it has never been done again," but apart from a few differences ( there weren't a bunch of.celebs at raves and the average raver was younger than the average Studio 54 goer,) the SPIRIT of the thing was exactly the same. It blew my mind. Had I written the thing, I would have ended with how the spirit of 54 lived on in the rave scene, for SURE. But it was still badass.

Like, I was aware of Studio 54, but I certainly didn't know the intricacies of the story, which are fucking fascinating.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-15-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So, Studio 54 doc on Netflix was stunning. It made my brain hurt and my jaw clench up, in fact, because it made me feel like I had eaten too many ecstasies, BECAUSE: the footage of the inside, the lights and the dancing and free love and drag queens and crazy fashion- it was SO reminiscent of the rave scene in the late 90s. They said "it has never been done again," but apart from a few differences ( there weren't a bunch of.celebs at raves and the average raver was younger than the average Studio 54 goer,) the SPIRIT of the thing was exactly the same. It blew my mind. Had I written the thing, I would have ended with how the spirit of 54 lived on in the rave scene, for SURE. But it was still badass.

Like, I was aware of Studio 54, but I certainly didn't know the intricacies of the story, which are fucking fascinating.
    Studio wasn’t all celebs and older people. It was a whole lot of gays, drag queens, trans people, and scene people all mixed together drinking and doing coke and poppers. It was the first of its kind in mixing everyone together, and it spread to other cities, and there were copycats. But I think that you may have misheard them when they said it wasn’t done again. Ian and Steve did it again with Palladium after they got out of prison.

The saddest part of the doc was how many Studio employees and regulars died of AIDS.

Watched tonight, LOVED IT:
    Last edited by allegro; 03-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Studio wasn’t all celebs and older people. It was a whole lot of gays, drag queens, trans people, and scene people all mixed together drinking and doing coke and poppers.

]
    oh, I know. and, trust me, there were a lot of gays and trans people at illegal and pseudo legal raves in the 90s. I just meant that there were also a lot of 16 year olds, and not a lot of celebs.
    Also, although it was ecstasy and such instead of coke, the vibe was strikingly similar. I think that the whole "raver/club kid" thing might have been born at Studio 54.

I also loved Baby Driver.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    oh, I know. and, trust me, there were a lot of gays and trans people at illegal and pseudo legal raves in the 90s. I just meant that there were also a lot of 16 year olds, and not a lot of celebs.
    Also, although it was ecstasy and such instead of coke, the vibe was strikingly similar. I think that the whole "raver/club kid" thing might have been born at Studio 54.
    I don’t want to drift this thread but I’ll boil it down to the part in the doc about installing a rubber floor so they could wash off the semen more easily, mattresses in the basement, blow jobs in the balcony, and fucking on the dance floor, which goes well with poppers, ‘ludes, cocaine and alcohol. It was a hedonistic orgy disguised as a dance club. But, it was the 70s.

Baby Driver almost gave me a stroke.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-16-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I don’t want to drift this thread but I’ll boil it down to the part in the doc about installing a rubber floor so they could wash off the semen more easily, mattresses in the basement, blow jobs in the balcony, and fucking on the dance floor, which goes well with poppers, ‘ludes, cocaine and alcohol. It was a hedonistic orgy disguised as a dance club. But, it was the 70s.

Baby Driver almost gave me a stroke.
    Ha. I hear you.

So, yeah, Baby Driver was VERY exciting. I felt like it was the best action movie I'd seen in a LONG time. It was, somehow, both pure AND unorthodox.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Speaking rave culture, though, have you seen this? It’s really good.

Watched AGAIN tonight: Pulp Fiction. It never gets old.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-16-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Watched this tonight, HILARIOUS AND AWESOME.

Last edited by allegro; 03-17-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We saw this today, it was FANTASTIC!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Saw Us last night. Shit was wild.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    US was ok. Great film making as far as direction and cinematography goes. Huge lapses in reasoning. Many things go unexplained. Ending is at best vague.