Thread: What Are You Watching?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I liked Lamb, but it is a very hard movie to recommend. The subject matter, or I guess concept of the movie, is not that weird in a folk/ horror story, but the way the movie tells the story and handles everything is very strange for this type of movie. I think the craft of the movie is almost flawless, beautifully shot and acted. The pacing and development for some might be a very slow and thin. And, you have to take a huge leap of faith to stay present and engaged which is another reason I understand why people wouldn't like the movie. The movie does not give you much to stay present and engaged either beside a tone and good actors. It is hard to explain to someone who has not seen it, and I completely understand why some don't like it or are bored by it or couldn't accept it would be a way to describe disliking it. There is something very cognitively dissonant about the subject matter of the film as a visual thing and the craft of the story telling in how the film was made. For me there where moments of what the fuck am I watching. And again, not out of shock or weirdness, but just the effort of the tone and reality the film trys to create in telling this story. Which I know some would say who cares about the process of the why and how the movie was made if the movie is boring or unengaging or seemingly pointless or in this case mix of tones (some almost comical) that can take you out of what you feel (or expect) is a heavy psychological or folk horror story. For me, it was just a very strange expierence watching it, but overall rewarding. Sometimes you watch a movie and wonder how it ever got made. What inspired the director how did it get funded. And sometimes those types movies are good in a B-movie sort of way or a cult movie way. But this movie has all the hallmarks of an excellently crafted movie, the type of thing you would expect from A24, but the drive of the film is such a headscracther within this well made movie. You could almost take away the main plot point and character and you would still have a beautifully shot character study/couple/family dynamic movie. There is something that is sort of forced into that, or forced into the things we traditionally accept in movie genre reality. Which is weird because we acccept all kinds of folk horror or supernatural or fantasy things in other movies or stories as long as they are tethered to something we accept as real or able to be real or how they work in narrative story telling or why they are an ingredient in story telling.
    This was a very long post for a movie that I wouldn't recommend but that I liked and had a very unique experience watching.
    Last edited by Alpha 60; 01-08-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    You could almost take away the main plot point and character and you would still have a beautifully shot character study/couple/family dynamic movie.
    The thing is, in my case I did not find it particularly interesting as a character study either.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    I liked Lamb, but it is a very hard movie to recommend. The subject matter, or I guess concept of the movie, is not that weird in a folk/ horror story, but the way the movie tells the story and handles everything is very strange for this type of movie. I think the craft of the movie is almost flawless, beautifully shot and acted. The pacing and development for some might be a very slow and thin. And, you have to take a huge leap of faith to stay present and engaged which is another reason I understand why people wouldn't like the movie. The movie does not give you much to stay present and engaged either beside a tone and good actors. It is hard to explain to someone who has not seen it, and I completely understand why some don't like it or are bored by it or couldn't accept it would be a way to describe disliking it. There is something very cognitively dissonant about the subject matter of the film as a visual thing and the craft of the story telling in how the film was made. For me there where moments of what the fuck am I watching. And again, not out of shock or weirdness, but just the effort of the tone and reality the film trys to create in telling this story. Which I know some would say who cares about the process of the why and how the movie was made if the movie is boring or unengaging or seemingly pointless or in this case mix of tones (some almost comical) that can take you out of what you feel (or expect) is a heavy psychological or folk horror story. For me, it was just a very strange expierence watching it, but overall rewarding. Sometimes you watch a movie and wonder how it ever got made. What inspired the director how did it get funded. And sometimes those types movies are good in a B-movie sort of way or a cult movie way. But this movie has all the hallmarks of an excellently crafted movie, the type of thing you would expect from A24, but the drive of the film is such a headscracther within this well made movie. You could almost take away the main plot point and character and you would still have a beautifully shot character study/couple/family dynamic movie. There is something that is sort of forced into that, or forced into the things we traditionally accept in movie genre reality. Which is weird because we acccept all kinds of folk horror or supernatural or fantasy things in other movies or stories as long as they are tethered to something we accept as real or able to be real or how they work in narrative story telling or why they are an ingredient in story telling.
    This was a very long post for a movie that I wouldn't recommend but that I liked and had a very unique experience watching.
    I watched it and while there were moments of “what the fuck”, there were also moments of beauty, suspense, terror, etc.

Overall, I liked it. It stayed with me through the next day and I kept thinking about it which to me is the sign of a good movie.

Glad I watched!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk