Page 64 of 155 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 4626

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I saw the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven and it was markedly improved. I really liked the theatrical version as well, but the extra character development (Sibylla has received some much needed time and dialogue has been added for several characters) really gives the film room to breathe. The setup is much more substantial and generally the story just flows better. I highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence gave me a good impression, even when I think I should watch more movies of her, because I still believe she's overrated as hell. I didn't watch her performance yesterday and think to myself: ''Dude,that's Oscar material right there''.
    Couldn't agree more, guess I just "don't get it" when it comes to her.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Watched American Hustle (2013) last night. A really good movie,but some performances didn't really make it for me.But I'm not nitpicking, the movie is pretty great. I loved Christian Bale's character and Jennifer Lawrence gave me a good impression, even when I think I should watch more movies of her, because I still believe she's overrated as hell. I didn't watch her performance yesterday and think to myself: ''Dude,that's Oscar material right there''. (Maybe that's the reason I'm not part of the academy I guess lol).
    The role that Amy Adams plays is light years away from the unconvincing Lois Lane that she played in Man On Steel. The difference that a good script and character development (which I believe was amazing in this movie) can do to a performance from any actor is huge, honestly.

I'll let you guys know when I'm finished with the J-Law marathon that will include The Hunger Games, Silver Linings Playbook and Winter's Bone.
    I've not seen any Hunger Game film, but I like Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Lining Play Book. She's got that Marilyn Monroe vibe. Everyone thought she wasn't doing much, but really she's working hard on the character.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I saw the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven and it was markedly improved. I really liked the theatrical version as well, but the extra character development (Sibylla has received some much needed time and dialogue has been added for several characters) really gives the film room to breathe. The setup is much more substantial and generally the story just flows better. I highly recommend it.
    Yeah, I think this is one of the best director's cuts in terms of improvements over the original film. If they released this version instead the the theatrical cut it would've probably made more at the box office and got some award recognition, and would've been remembered more fondly than it is.

If they cast someone other than Orlando Bloom(who is decent in this, but still seems a bit wooden) it would've worked even better. Someone like Tom Hardy or Christian Bale could've given the role a little more depth.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Prisoners (2007)

I loved everything about this film. It's as if it was made specifically for me.
    i just watched it too, it was really bad ass.

So. Nymphomaniac. I don't know WHAT the fuck to make of it, still.
    Shia LaBeouf (however you spell it) REALLY fucks the woman who plays the lead.
    I saw where the women where claming that they used body doubles and ";prosthetic vaginas," but i call bullshit. I mean, you can see both of there faces as she rides his cock...there is an insanely clear view of their genitals too.

I think that sometimes this director just aims to shock. I've definitely never seen anything like it, and it had an interesting subtext about gender and femenisim, but i REALLY think his main point was to push the envelope, all the way down to starting the movie with a Ramstien song blasting after being accused of being a Nazi.

Other than that, i'm savoring SOA, which i finally realized is a lot like Hamlet.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but does anyone else see the Hamlet in SoA?

Jax is Hamlet. Clay is Claudius. Gemma is Gertrude and JT is the ghost of Hamlet's father.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Sorry for double post, but does anyone else see the Hamlet in SoA?

Jax is Hamlet. Clay is Claudius. Gemma is Gertrude and JT is the ghost of Hamlet's father.
    Pretty sure Kurt Sutter has said from the beginning it's based, or whatever you want to call it, on Hamlet

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Pretty sure Kurt Sutter has said from the beginning it's based, or whatever you want to call it, on Hamlet

i didn't realize. i didn't catch it until season 4...but i haven't read hamlet in 20 years, so, you know.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah, I just remember hearing that years ago, that it was the plan from the beginning.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

On Chiller right now. Love this channel.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, this was really enjoyable. It's in theaters right now but it's also available to rent on Google Play (and probably other places, too). Go in knowing as little as possible (the trailer is safe, though). I read a spoiler in a review (seriously, WTF?) and it dampened the first half a little bit. Knowing anything beyond what's in the trailer is knowing too much. Definitely had a Twilight Zone kind of vibe.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Watching Invaders from Mars on Netflix. It was one of the most terrifying movies on my childhood. It's still awesome.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally got around to How I Live Now. I liked it! It was kinda surreal. There was notable use of music (gotta love the original score by Jon Hopkins). Good acting. It didn't shy away from some of the horrors, but didn't linger them too much either since it had a strict POV, and it dealt with it all with a pretty distinct visual + tonal style. It's on Netflix for those interested.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Finally started watching (and enjoying):

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

FUCKING NERD.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The pilot for Hand of God, which can be seen on Amazon (for free now, but not for long I think).

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Anyone watched the premiere of Gotham? I personally really liked it.
    Should be noted that I am totally unfamiliar with the back-story of Bruce Wayne so I don't know if it was accurate in that respect.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Saw Kevin Smith's new one, Tusk, last night. Ridiculous, entertaining, and absurd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Pardon the double post.
    This is pretty good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Saw Kevin Smith's Tusk last week. Asinine, insulting, stupid, half-baked, tossed-off, awful. Not funny, not strange, not creative. Just cheap. Easily among the worst of the year. Kevin Smith should be embarrassed, but it's obvious that he neither gives a shit nor is capable of feeling shame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Should be noted that I am totally unfamiliar with the back-story of Bruce Wayne so I don't know if it was accurate in that respect.
    I thought it was okay....I felt like they were constantly trying to remind you through out the episode that "Hey this is related to Batman" by throwing out cameos of characters that would become for the most part important villains in the Batman Universe. Like I am okay with and expect that but not all at once it just felt like it cheapen the pilot a bit.

I would say for me it was an okay pilot episode definitely interesting to see where it goes from here so I am willing to give it a chance.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I thought it was great, WAY better look and feel than any of the Nolan films as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just saw Coherence. Surprisingly good Sci-Fi movie with a nice concept. Acting was above average.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Just saw Coherence. Surprisingly good Sci-Fi movie with a nice concept. Acting was above average.
    i have literally never seen nicholas brendon in anything outside of buffy, so i want to watch it simply for the fact that he's in it. but it also sounds intriguing!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Just saw The Equalizer. If you like seeing Denzel Washington be a badass (and I do), you will like it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have literally never seen nicholas brendon in anything outside of buffy
    You mean, you've never seen Psycho Beach Party? For shame!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Going to watch this on the weekend. I have high expectations, hopefully it will deliver!

Also on the list - "A walk among the tombstones" which looks like 8mm with Liam Neeson.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I'll let you guys know when I'm finished with the J-Law marathon that will include The Hunger Games, Silver Linings Playbook and Winter's Bone.
    I may be in the minority but I actually think her strongest performance thus far has been in Catching Fire, which was also my favorite of her movies thus far. It's really really good! Huge step up from the original. I always forget how amazing Winter's Bone is though...

This past week I was on a tween binge with Divergent and Fault in Our Stars. Divergent was surprisingly very good! It succumbs to a lot of the same dystopian teen tropes but I was impressed with how high the stakes were and how many people died and how good the acting was. Kate Winslet was a cool villain.

Fault in Our Stars I actually thought was excellent. Acting was great. Characters had nuance and specificity and I haven't cried like that in a movie for as long as I can remember. It's also rare that a movie will make me feel so grateful for the circumstances of my own life in which I am healthy and so are all of my friends. I almost didn't watch it because it seemed so cheesy/lame. It was actually a very brutally honest movie and the bravado of some cast members is actually justified by characterization and insecurity. Very unique kind of flick. I would want my kids to watch it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know I'm a bit late to it, but TRUE DETECTIVE is amazing! ! !

The gf tried to make me watch the first 2 episodes a few months back, and I literally feel asleep through a good 7/8ths of both episodes.

Holy shit, wow. Continuing with the binge watching...NOW!