Page 93 of 155 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 4621

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books. The first film ever by Richard Linklater.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Caught up with some 70s classic during my vacation.
    Taxi Driver and Chinatown. Both fantastic but definitely liked the former better.

I was looking at some of the best rated titles and boy did the 70s produced a significant amount of amazing movies.
    i took a 70s film class when i was getting my associates degree and, though many of the movies were FUCKING AWFUL ("an unmarried woman" being the worst offender), we watched some really good stuff. i had already been into john carpenter since i was a kid but had never seen Assault On Precinct 13 (the original, obviously) and it was so fun to watch in the high-end screening room at my school. it's definitely one of my favorite 70s films, and it's up there on my ranking of carpenter films.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    70's movies are some of my favorites, I have been into 70's films for sometime now. They have a certain look and I love how films in the 70's work at building a story and developing characters before they start the action sequences or in the case of horror films before they bring out the chills. The Exorcist for example takes nearly half the movie before all Hell breaks loose.
    Nowadays with films there has to be ten car crashes sixteen explosions and a meteor hitting the Earth before they do the title credits. I wish movies would go back to the slow build of a film the way they did it in the 70's. Some of my favorite 70's films Network, All The Presidents Men, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist, Carrie, Serpico, The Godfather I & II, Harold & Maude(However that might be a late 60's film), Alien, Chinatown, One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest, and I am sure I am forgetting some but you get the idea oh yeah Close Encounters
    have you seen The Conversation? i just remembered, that was one of the other amazing ones we watched in that class. that was six years ago and i still haven't been able to stop thinking about how well-done and intense that film was. gene hackman is top notch and harrison ford's small but pivotal role is really, really great.

now i just want to marathon a bunch of my favorite 70s films.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Hail, Caesar! I didn't think it was as bad as everyone made it out to be, since I'm a Coen junkie, and it had its moments (especially its multiple loving homages to 50's cinema), but too much of it felt too derivative of other Coen works. The premise reminded me of The Big Lebowski, the "complete idiot character" shtick has been done too many times, and even a joke near the end of the film was lifted from The Ladykillers. Still, when it rips on Hollywood, it hits hard. The cast is a joy to watch, because when wasn't it in a Coen movie? And Wayne Knight was completely unrecognizable.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    have you seen The Conversation? i just remembered, that was one of the other amazing ones we watched in that class. that was six years ago and i still haven't been able to stop thinking about how well-done and intense that film was. gene hackman is top notch and harrison ford's small but pivotal role is really, really great.

now i just want to marathon a bunch of my favorite 70s films.
    Coppola's run of Godfather - Conversation - Godfather Part II - Apocalypse Now is only equaled but never surpassed in impressiveness to me.

In general I consider the entire New Hollywood era to be the greatest in American movie history. From Easy Rider up till about '79 the amount of highly challenging and unique films that all managed to be major successes and parts of the cultural dialogue is just stunning.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Coppola's run of Godfather - Conversation - Godfather Part II - Apocalypse Now is only equaled but never surpassed in impressiveness to me.

In general I consider the entire New Hollywood era to be the greatest in American movie history. From Easy Rider up till about '79 the amount of highly challenging and unique films that all managed to be major successes and parts of the cultural dialogue is just stunning.
    i've never seen the godfather films. never really been big on mafia movies (other than The Freshman haha).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    i've never seen the godfather films. never really been big on mafia movies (other than The Freshman haha).
    It's so much more than this though, it's a reflection on power and fate.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Khrz said it pretty well -- more than anything they're about the inability to break free of the fate your familial ties have tethered you to, the struggles of power, how good men become corrupted not out of maliciousness but out of perceived necessity, the way that vengeance hardens the human heart and fails to satisfy, the ways things done in the name of our families often isolate ourselves from them and the story of the Italian-American immigrant family in the mid-1940's. It's a sweeping American epic (at least the first two are; skip the third, really) and so worth your time, even if the set-dressing isn't quite your thing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    It's so much more than this though, it's a reflection on power and fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @Khrz said it pretty well -- more than anything they're about the inability to break free of the fate your familial ties have tethered you to, the struggles of power, how good men become corrupted not out of maliciousness but out of perceived necessity, the way that vengeance hardens the human heart and fails to satisfy, the ways things done in the name of our families often isolate ourselves from them and the story of the Italian-American immigrant family in the mid-1940's. It's a sweeping American epic (at least the first two are; skip the third, really) and so worth your time, even if the set-dressing isn't quite your thing.
    i think you two have finally convinced me to watch them (something no one else has ever been able to do).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    i think you two have finally convinced me to watch them (something no one else has ever been able to do).
    The Godfather and The Godfather II are, imho, the best films ever made. I've seen them both at least 50 times, no kidding. If I see them on TV, I'll always watch them again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Some of my favorite 70's films Network, All The Presidents Men, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist, Carrie, Serpico, The Godfather I & II, Harold & Maude(However that might be a late 60's film), Alien, Chinatown, One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest, and I am sure I am forgetting some but you get the idea oh yeah Close Encounters
    (Harold and Maude was 1971)

My personal 70s faves (besides the Godfathers I and II and Alien and Harold & Maude): Dog Day Afternoon, Jaws, A Clockwork Orange, Animal House, Deliverance, Close Encounters, Annie Hall, Last Tango in Paris, The Black Stallion, Love and Death, Young Frankenstein ...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    (Harold and Maude was 1971)

My personal 70s faves (besides the Godfathers I and II and Alien and Harold & Maude): Dog Day Afternoon, Jaws, A Clockwork Orange, Animal House, Deliverance, Close Encounters, Annie Hall, Last Tango in Paris, The Black Stallion, Love and Death, Young Frankenstein ...
    Dog Day Afternoon is such an amazing film. talk about taking a true story and making it into a compelling movie.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Dog Day Afternoon is such an amazing film. talk about taking a true story and making it into a compelling movie.
    Attica! Attica!

Last edited by allegro; 07-06-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Speaking of Dog Day Afternoon, this is fascinating:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Just watched Nightcrawler, starring Jake Gyllenhal... a messed up movie with an interesting premise... and a very warped take on the drive to make it and succeed. It's inspiring in a very demented way. Although not flawless, this movie was very charming and dark. I definitely recommend it. Before watching this film I thought it was like a Drive clone... but it's something completely different.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Just watched Nightcrawler, starring Jake Gyllenhal... a messed up movie with an interesting premise... and a very warped take on the drive to make it and succeed. It's inspiring in a very demented way. Although not flawless, this movie was very charming and dark. I definitely recommend it. Before watching this film I thought it was like a Drive clone... but it's something completely different.
    Loved it too. Yeah, it was more in line with Taxi Driver than Drive.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Insidious Chapter 3

I enjoyed it more than the first two. How about you @elevenism ?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I saw Independence Day: Resurgence the other day. It's a horrible, terrible movie.

But I'm still happy to have seen it because Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, the wonderful Charlotte Gainsbourg and Brent Spiner ( I love him). And Brent Spiner's bare ass.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Insidious Chapter 3

I enjoyed it more than the first two. How about you @elevenism?
    not quite as much as the first 2 but it was fucking great.
    Also, that volband dude doesn't understand about being a horror fan, i was thinking.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Y

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Fucking fantastic. I recommend it to all of you. It's on Google Play Movies for $3.99/$12.99 Rent/Buy and it's on Amazon Video for $3.99/$7.99 Rent/Buy. Watch it.

I may also have a link to an HD, less than legitimate, stream.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    wow

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    'the wonder years'
    fucking applicable ass television.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Green Room

about a punk band that gets into some deep trouble. a major thrill ride and highly recommended.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Angie Tribeca. It fills me with joy with each episode. As a huge fan of the series Police Squad!, which got cancelled after only six episodes, I longed for a return of some sort. And Angie Tribeca fills that void for me. It's stupid, ridiculous and pointless, and I love every second of it. Sight gags and puns are aplenty, and the cast kills it. So happy it got a second season. Those who prefer dry, "sophisticated", Parks and Recreation-style comedy probably won't like it (though Rashida is brilliant in both); those who simply need some brainless, zany, cartoonish, loud, over-the-top fun will have a blast.

Oh, and Sarah Chalke had a small guest spot, which reminded me of how much I miss Scrubs.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Casey Neistat's YouTube videos. This guy is my new hero.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    4 episodes into Stranger Things on Netflix. I'm in love.