Page 91 of 154 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 4613

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Band of Brothers and The Pacific, i highly recommend those!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I saw "Green Room" last weekend and I really enjoyed it. It was incredibly intense, to the point that my stomach was in knots for a large portion of the movie (like, my stomach actually, physically felt funny, and it's pretty rare for a movie to affect me like that). It's definitely a genre film and rather forumulaic but I didn't really care because I was enjoying it so much. Plus, I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose anyway.

The only complaint I had is that Patrick Stewart's character wasn't all that interesting. He was good in it, don't get me wrong, but his character was kind of meh. His assistant (played by the same actor who starred in "Blue Ruin") was a lot more interesting to me.

Anyway, minor quibble with an otherwise really good movie. If you don't mind some seriously graphic gore/violence and are looking for a really well made thriller I would definitely recommend it.

Also, "The Americans" continues to be amazing. Also, I'm four episodes into season 2 of "Daredevil" and am stalling big time. I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to finish the season but it's hard. This season has been a complete dud to me so far.
    Last edited by theruiner; 05-05-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    "Green Room"
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    "Blue Ruin"
    dammit, hollywood

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    dammit, hollywood
    same director

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Yesterday, The Bonfire of the Vanities was on as it's been a while since I've seen it and don't really have any fond memories about it. Yeah, it's one of those films that hasn't gotten any better with age though there's a few moments that are worth watching such as the opening tracking shot, the scene of Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis in a subway, and Hanks just snapping where he grabs a shotgun and demand everyone to get the fuck out of his house.

Other than that, it is a fucking mess and I don't blame de Palma, Morgan Freeman, and anyone else who admit that the film was shit. I wish I could get my hands on Julie Salmon's book about the production which I'm sure if a fun read. I heard about the changes in the novel and the fact that Morgan Freeman's character was actually a white Jewish man but the studio were like "no, we need an African-American to give out this speech about racism and decency". Freeman's monologue is great as it does say a lot about what is wrong with the world though it does feel tacked on in the end. Unfortunately, when his character tells Hanks to go home free. Everyone in that courtroom were like "aw shit!" because they wanted Hanks' character to burn all because he was some rich white guy who gained a soul. I agree with de Palma that Hanks was wrong for the role and John Lithgow would've been a better choice as you could buy him as some blue-blooded rich Wall Street asshole. Oh, such a bad movie.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Got to see Green Room, which I as excited about for a while. Very good thriller, but I don't know if it was as good as Blue Ruin. One thing that bugged me:

Spoiler: While everyone is traped in the green room looking for a phone, there is clearly a landline phone on a tabletop near the door. Did they explain why they couldn't use it? During most of the negotiation scenes there was a loud couple behind me complaining about how they didn't like the movie and contemplating a refund. I missed quite a bit of the dialogue and it might have been explained. Overall, worth seeing.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Short film directed by Spike Jonze with a heavy dose of Jodorowsky's style at the end.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Outlander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Into The Wild is one of my favorite movies, it has been a while since I watched it. I never tire of seeing this film. Sean Penn directs and Eddie Vedder provides the soundtrack and it's based on a true story.
    Brilliant film. While it is largely about a man who wanders alone in the woods, I recommend watching it with friends. I did, and the final message of the film (not spoiling it) made me hug them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    One more recommendation that is on Starz right now, is Laurel Canyon it stars Francis McDormand (one of my favorite actresses) and Christian Bale, Francis plays a record producer and Christian plays her straight laced in medical school sun. It is a cool little film with a great script and obviously a talented cast and also a cameo of Justin Meldal-Johnsen and Danial Lanois during a party scene.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've got Starz right now for Outlander and was seriously considering dropping it. I live Frances Mc Dormand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Been rewatching this series for the fourth time over the last few weeks:

Ryan O'Reily is easily one of my favorite characters of all time.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A little bit of this lately

It flubs the ball a bit with regards to the quality Michael Mann is usually known for, but his flubs would be most any other director's masterpiece.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    A little bit of this lately

It flubs the ball a bit with regards to the quality Michael Mann is usually known for, but his flubs would be most any other director's masterpiece.
    Out of curiosity, have you been watching the theatrical or extended cut? I'm a fan of both, but have seen the extended version more times.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have the extended cut on DVD, but the theatrical is on Showtime (which I watch via Amazon Prime). I like the immediacy of how the theatrical cut starts.

It's really a mixed bag but I err on the side of liking it because there are slightly more cool moments than there are cheesy ones. And there are some moments where it's truly mixed like the final shootout, which is paced well enough but has a very underwhelming aesthetic.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Liza with a Z by Bob Fosse. If you have a problem with Liza, then you suck motherfucker.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Saw Ex Machina for the third time, and to me its a bit of a sleeper sci-fi masterpiece. It works on many levels, and I pick up something new every time I give it a watch. All the performances are subtlety stellar, and I think Sonoya Mizuno is also a bit underrated as the other Spoiler: android; she doesn't get mentioned as much as the others in reviews, but I think she's quite good. Its not for everybody, but it has similar traits to my kind art films: languid pace, gorgeous cinematography, and a good amount of ambiguity.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 06-09-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Never watched this even though my friend is/was a huge fan. Finally started it about a week ago. I just watched the Riot two-parter episode from season 1. Holy crap.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Probably will see The Conjuring 2 early next week with the mrs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Probably will see The Conjuring 2 early next week with the mrs.
    all of my friends who have seen it have HATED it. some of them are writers for CoS, and some of them are just horror movie enthusiasts, but they have all said NOTHING but negative things about it. which is a bummer, because the first one was fantastic.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Really? That's a shame because I've been hearing good things about it. And I loved Annabel and the first one.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Star 80. It's a re-watch as it's been a long time since I've seen it. I'm doing it as part of a retrospective on Bob Fosse who is currently my next subject on my Auteurs essay series.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Desperado with the director's commentary. Apparently Rodriguez had to recut the ending heavily because it was so violent that it couldn't get under an NC-17 rating, so he just chopped off it off entirely. I would love to see this with the intended end; I thing the movie is damn fine except for the blue balls conclusion. If the footage is still around, shouldn't they put out a director's cut Blu of this? I'm sure Rodriguez would be down with that, and that it'll make its money back.

Desperado, Event Horizon, Hard Target, and Stoker. All four of these have been scissored by studios for one reason or another, and could be killer director's cuts waiting to happen.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Really? That's a shame because I've been hearing good things about it. And I loved Annabel and the first one.
    dude if you loved Annabel, for fuck's sake, i don't see how you can go wrong with this one.
    I've yet to see it, but i consider the first one the holy fucking grail of horror movies, have heard nothing but good things myself, and am considering watching a CAM of this shit because i want to see it so damn bad and the closest theater is like 50 miles away.
    This is even getting good reviews from the mainstream...close to 74% on rotten tomatoes, right? for a fucking HORROR movie-a lot of the greats get like under 20%. It also gets an A- from cinemascore and a B- from entertainment weekly. And keep in mind that this was directed by James Wan, who directed the first one and the first 2 Insidious films. I sincerely believe that those three movies will be remembered as supernatural horror classics of this era and will be "top ten of the decade" material.

So have faith, my friend. I expect to be thrilled and look forward to another wave of decent supernatural horror movies like we had after the last time we were treated to Wan's modern genre defining talents.

As for me, we are on a wave of dark, rough, true crime stuff.
    Can anyone recommend any documentaries? I've been nabbing seasons of ID channel films and every true crime doc that looks good.
    Also, for people on my plex share ( @halo33 , @thelastdisciple , @RocketScience , @ElectricKoolaid if you still exist, @Miss Baphomette if you ever make your server,) i turned this into a full blown true crime library. So check it out if you are into that type of thing, and there will most def be more added over the coming weeks.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Watched both of The Raid movies. Simply wonderful.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Star 80. It's a re-watch as it's been a long time since I've seen it. I'm doing it as part of a retrospective on Bob Fosse who is currently my next subject on my Auteurs essay series.
    Why? That was a meh film. Now, All That Jazz? Awwwesome.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Why? That was a meh film. Now, All That Jazz? Awwwesome.
    I do think Star 80 is Fosse's weakest films due to the fact that he couldn't do certain things legally but it is still intriguing. All That Jazz though is my favorite film of his as I've seen all of them now. I just hope to work on it later this week and then go into Richard Linklater for July.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Saw The Conjuring 2 and loved it!

Also during the trailers they advertised Lights Out (James Wan) and The Shallows, another killer shark movie that both looked awesome.