Page 69 of 155 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 4621

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just saw the pilot for The Affair. Good start.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That's a great idea: a Truffaut film fest of sorts. Did you rent all of them? Buy them?
    Most of them that I watched I had recorded last year on Turner Classic Movies where they did a month on the films of Francois Truffaut. I had seen a few up to that point as I managed to watch nearly all of them until I had to switch providers from Dish to U-Verse (which ended up being a better deal) as I had to download some of them through torrents like Fahrenheit 451, Small Change, The Man Who Loved Women, The Green Room, The Woman Next Door, and Confidentially Yours. Here is my list of all of the films of Truffaut that I've seen minus a short film that isn't available in public and another short he co-directed with another filmmaker: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list...uffaut-ranked/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I ordered both special editions of the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray collection, and the Funimation version came in the mail yesterday. <3

IT'S SO GOOD. The picture is crystal clear, and they managed to remaster it without losing any of the visual fidelity that gives the show the Bebop "look." There are a couple minor hiccups where the CGI meets/overlaps the hand-drawn animation, but I just chalk that up to the source material being 25 years old. Sounds fantastic, too. Not to mention this awesome package - I'm so glad I buckled and got one before they sold out. If you wanna check the series out, the first four episodes are up on Hulu in HD, and if you're inclined to purchase the whole set, the latest remaster is definitely the way to go - although, the special editions are all gone. Recommended for anyone that loves space, noir, sci-fi, pop culture, jazz, and all that....jazz. Even if you're not into anime, this one's a little different.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I ordered both special editions of the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray collection, and the Funimation version came in the mail yesterday. <3
    i asked for just the standard blu-ray set for x-mas but now i wish i had asked for the funimation one :/
    i used to have the dvd box set but my ex took it when we split. i was almost as upset about that as i was that she took the cats/bunnies. haha.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i asked for just the standard blu-ray set for x-mas but now i wish i had asked for the funimation one :/
    i used to have the dvd box set but my ex took it when we split. i was almost as upset about that as i was that she took the cats/bunnies. haha.
    I was REALLY on the fence about even buying that one, let alone BOTH of them. The one I have now was $65 when it was available (it's already listed on ebay for up to $599.99, by the way), and the Amazon version, which comes with the same on-disc content but had a bunch of little art books and things, was something like $95. That's a looot to spend on one show, but I knew that if I didn't just splurge right away, I'd probably never get a chance to get either one, judging from the likes of literally every piece of Bebop merchandise ever (INCLUDING SUPER RARE REAL RECORDS THAT WERE PRACTICALLY NEVER CIRCULATED).

Edit: I'm still totally watching it, by the way. I forgot how beautiful the end of "Jupiter Jazz (pt 2)" is, with that song "Cosmos" just playing itself out. Fantastic.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-13-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Transparent. Jeffrey Tambor was really good.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    ^ Regarding Cowboy Bebop on Hulu, the entire series drops December 19th.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Transparent. Jeffrey Tambor was really good.
    Jeffrey Tambor was AMAZING on that show. Can't wait for the second season (whenever that may be).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Following first season. I also snagged the first season of Hannibal today as well. Should be good for the week.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Re-watching Deadwood with my partner who's never seen it. I don't think I got through the entire 3 seasons my first time through and am picking up a lot in this re-watch. Westerns like this must have been a joy to act in.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Two Days, One Night by the Dardenne Brothers. These guys are getting better and better with their films. It takes them three years to get funding and get it made and it's often worth it. Plus, the Academy would be fools if they don't nominate Marion Cotillard as she once again gives a knockout performance. Everyone is clamoring on Jennifer Aniston going unglamorous for her role in Cake. Pfft... that is just Oscar-bait bullshit. Cotillard is the real-deal. She just brings it. Hell, she can read a phone book and give a great performance.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    i doubt she will even be nominated. The Oscar members just vote for films that mount a campaign with numerous ads and free watches in the mail. They also bite on 'Oscar bait' every single time. Looking forward to the film, though. The Dardennes are always worth a watch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Alien (1979), the Theatrical Cut. Beautiful movie.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Requiem For A Dream for the first time. Hell's horses, what a bleak movie.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Requiem For A Dream for the first time. Hell's horses, what a bleak movie.
    Drug addiction is pretty fucking bleak.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Good point. Excellent movie, though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    One of the greatest crime movies ever written:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    One of the greatest crime movies ever written:

That movie blew my mind when I watched this past summer. Bryan Singer sure knows how to get the job done.

After watching Star Trek (2009), it's time to move on with the Abrams rehab. Super 8 (2011) is the next in line.
    Last edited by Maul; 12-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I saw the Hobbit. It went quicker than I thought it was going to take. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

I'll try it haha.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Cloud Atlas. A fascinating movie. It belongs into the category of "almost-masterpieces", movies that have some flaw that prevents them from being classics, but you just know that most of them is great. I'd also put Event Horizon, David Lynch's Dune and Prometheus into this category. Only with Cloud Atlas, it's even more extreme. It's a little too long and the tone is very uneven, and sometimes, it's right on the edge between embarassing failure and genius, for example, the somewhat cheesy post-apocalyptic tribal language, and the occasionally crappy make-up. But if one approaches it with an open mind and open heart, there is lots to enjoy.
    I also watched The Third Man last week. Another classic I can cross off my list now. I had expected a little more scenes in the Vienna sewers. But it was a very enjoyable movie. I think some people miss the satire in it, you know, the naive American writer expecting a Hollywood ending in a European city where even the animals are against him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I watched Fight Club (2000) yesterday with my sister. That movie is freaking awesome and it always will. Se7en is my fave from Fincher though.
    Also watching Mad Men (second season), Z Nation and The Strain.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

I'll try it haha.
    It's one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen, but in the best possible way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Class of Nuke'm High is decent as well.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Just finished the first half of the director's cut of Nymphomaniac which is amazing so far. There's definitely a lot of Tarkovsky elements in the direction but it's really von Trier being bawdy but also melodramatic. I'm going to watch part of the second half a little later on and try to finish the rest tomorrow.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Just finished the first half of the director's cut of Nymphomaniac which is amazing so far.
    The wifey and i got a big kick out of that one. I thought it was brilliant...it's a veritable cinematic assault.
    Did you see Antichrist and Melencholia? I highly recommend those two as well, and Von Trier considers them a trilogy. Did you hear this bad news though?
    He says he has gotten sober and has no more creativity, stating “There is no creative expression of artistic value that has ever been produced by ex-drunkards and ex-drug-addicts."

Maybe he should check out HTDA, HM, and trent's film scores.

As for me, we are finishing up the sopranos, and starting this aussie prison drama called Wentworth that seems promising.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The wifey and i got a big kick out of that one. I thought it was brilliant...it's a veritable cinematic assault.
    Did you see Antichrist and Melencholia? I highly recommend those two as well, and Von Trier considers them a trilogy. Did you hear this bad news though?
    He says he has gotten sober and has no more creativity, stating “There is no creative expression of artistic value that has ever been produced by ex-drunkards and ex-drug-addicts."

Maybe he should check out HTDA, HM, and trent's film scores.

As for me, we are finishing up the sopranos, and starting this aussie prison drama called Wentworth that seems promising.
    I've seen all of von Trier's films. Breaking the Waves is my favorite of his with Antichrist coming a close second. I think he needs to take some time off and figure out what to do next.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I've seen all of von Trier's films. Breaking the Waves is my favorite of his with Antichrist coming a close second. I think he needs to take some time off and figure out what to do next.
    Ok Breaking the Waves?
    What else should i check out?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    The Following first season. I also snagged the first season of Hannibal today as well. Should be good for the week.
    Those are excellent series imo. Season 2 of Hannibal has such a good ending, too.

edit: I misread The Following as True Detective, for some reason.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok Breaking the Waves?
    What else should i check out?
    Here's a list of all of his films that I've seen and how I ranked them so far, not counting shorts,: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list...-trier-ranked/