Catching up for season 7.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Only one season?? Damn you HBO.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Only one season?? Damn you HBO.

how is it? i love chris o'dowd, but we tried to watch his other show (about being that kid's imaginary friend, based on his life as a kid) and it was kinda of a downer.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    how is it? i love chris o'dowd, but we tried to watch his other show (about being that kid's imaginary friend, based on his life as a kid) and it was kinda of a downer.
    I loved it. It's written by Christopher Guest so it's got his well-known mockumentary 4th-wall style but as you can expect all of the characters are "characters". Guest brings on some of his regulars (Willard, Balaban) and some guest appearances as well. All well-played and if you're a fan of Guest's humor, the writing is spot on spoofing everything from the Brit TV to civil war re-enactors. LOVED IT.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

This looks like it's a lot of fun. Based on the Marvel comic. Which i knew nothing about before but will check it out since it's on Marvel Unlimited. Anybody else read the comic or see the trailer and are looking forward to it?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    About halfway through, loving it!

"MATE! Please, help us, go and get some men with guns, and some dogs, and some dogs with guns, and a fucking helicopter!"
    Last edited by ibanez33; 06-01-2014 at 04:40 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Watched the first episode of Crossbones, it was not what I was expecting and actually better than I figured it would be. Malkovich is awesome as usual. Hopefully it stays good.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Watched the first episode of Crossbones, it was not what I was expecting and actually better than I figured it would be. Malkovich is awesome as usual. Hopefully it stays good.
    I had mixed feelings. It wasn't bad but I have seen better shows in my time. The fact this will probably have slow pacing until payoff will probably kill it for me as well as ratings. If Hannibal was failing, I don't see how this would exceed those numbers. Especially in Summer.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I had mixed feelings. It wasn't bad but I have seen better shows in my time. The fact this will probably have slow pacing until payoff will probably kill it for me as well as ratings. If Hannibal was failing, I don't see how this would exceed those numbers. Especially in Summer.
    The one thing it has going for it that Hannibal didn't/doesn't is that Malkovich is a really well-known or at least recognizable actor, and also pirates and big shots of the ocean are probably more marketable/appealing to a broader audience than dark lighting and cannibalism and intense, layered psychodrama.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I think has potential to be worth watching, I like the characters so far. NBC does love to cancel shows early on though...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The one thing it has going for it that Hannibal didn't/doesn't is that Malkovich is a really well-known or at least recognizable actor, and also pirates and big shots of the ocean are probably more marketable/appealing to a broader audience than dark lighting and cannibalism and intense, layered psychodrama.
    Hannibal is a really well-known film franchise already though, which I'm sure helped tremendously. If it weren't for the name, I probably wouldn't have given the show a look at in the first place. But also, NBC has never marketed their shows well, IMO. I don't think I've ever seen a promotion for one of their shows and thought "oh that looks good". They're all completely forgettable until the internet starts raving about it after a year or so, then I think "well I'll give it a shot" and it completely hooks me, like Community and 30 Rock and even Hannibal, which I did think was cool specifically because of the name but the trailers I'd seen looked like another cut & paste crime show, so I put it off until /r/Television on Reddit started losing their shit about season 2 every weekend.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Hannibal is a really well-known film franchise already though, which I'm sure helped tremendously. If it weren't for the name, I probably wouldn't have given the show a look at in the first place. But also, NBC has never marketed their shows well, IMO. I don't think I've ever seen a promotion for one of their shows and thought "oh that looks good". They're all completely forgettable until the internet starts raving about it after a year or so, then I think "well I'll give it a shot" and it completely hooks me, like Community and 30 Rock and even Hannibal, which I did think was cool specifically because of the name but the trailers I'd seen looked like another cut & paste crime show, so I put it off until /r/Television on Reddit started losing their shit about season 2 every weekend.

Exact same thing happened for me with Hannibal; a big thing for me was I initially expected it to be a paper-thin procedural show cashing in a well-known name, and every week it's been on I've been joyfully eating my words. It's definitely my favorite show I'm currently following (Mad Men is top-shelf quality and still wonderful but just in terms of the enjoyment I get from each episode, Hannibal is certainly winning), but it still has a lot of people who disregard it because it's on NBC, or who see a few episodes and find it too gruesome (which I understand quite honestly because yeah, there are certainly some moments that I can see not everyone enjoying or being able to watch with eyes wide open).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I watched the new Godzilla. I thought it was really good. Something i'm definitely getting on blu-ray. Probably my favorite movie of the year even besides DOFP. Still haven't seen The Winter Soldier yet. Also when Godzilla did his roar for the first time. My inner child squeed. It was awesome.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    I watched the new Godzilla. I thought it was really good. Something i'm definitely getting on blu-ray. Probably my favorite movie of the year even besides DOFP. Still haven't seen The Winter Soldier yet. Also when Godzilla did his roar for the first time. My inner child squeed. It was awesome.
    i really, really liked godzilla. i saw it with a couple friends in a big theater, and it was a lot of fun.

but then i watched pacific rim the next night, and realized that a lot of the really cool ideas from pacific rim totally got co-opted and re-used in godzilla. pacific rim was also a lot more fun to watch, whereas godzilla felt much more serious.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    "Kristina från Duvemåla":

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Only God Forgives with Ryan Gosling is by no means a great film.....but did anyone else think it was one of the most visually stunning films they have ever seen? Holy fuck the lighting and atmosphere was powerful. seriously could not stop staring at the screen.
    The Incest relationship between Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Scott Thomas was weird but funny.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Jodorowsky's Dune is a fantastic look at one man's unrealized vision for a film that could've been an all-time classic or a total clusterfuck, but sounds extremely fascinating. Its filled with great tidbits of the film he was planning, like how he basically bribed Orson Welles with food to be the Baron Harkonnen, and other crazy stories involving Salvador Dali, Pink Floyd, Mick Jagger, Moebius, and David Carradine. They also got a great interview with the late H.R. Giger, who did a couple of his most famous paintings designing Arrakis. Its kind of inspirational for artist types, seeing Jodo's endless passion for his project from years ago. For an 84 year old, his energy and liveliness is razor sharp. Hell, it would be pretty sharp for a 30 year old.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 06-04-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Watched the new RoboCop last night. I liked it enough I guess but I'm glad I didn't spend the money to see it in the theater. It is massively different from the original, which is a good thing for a reboot I guess. Special effects were pretty damn good and I did mostly like the story. Overall, it could have been a lot worse. Worth a $6 rent from Vudu, I actually had a $5 credit so it only cost me a buck.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 06-04-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @SpaceSuicide : Seven is definitely my favorite of the later seasons. I think it would've served as a great ending to the series, especially if a certain someone had been shot instead of another certain someone.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Are you watching it again, or for the first time?
    the mrs and i love dexter SOOOO FUCKING MUCH.
    i was wondering about "replay value."

and HOLY SHIT, @kleiner352 , my sentiments exactly! THAT should have been the ending. i have a funny feeling that it was GONNA be the ending but someone decided to change it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I will always love "Dexter, just not the ending.

Currently watching Orange is the New Black. This.show.is.so.good. Can't wait for the 2nd season. I'm going to watch as many episodes of that until i pass out tonight.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @SpaceSuicide : Seven is definitely my favorite of the later seasons. I think it would've served as a great ending to the series, especially if a certain someone had been shot instead of another certain someone.
    Yeah, it is. It has returns and makings of season 2 and earlier tensions.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Are you watching it again, or for the first time?
    the mrs and i love dexter SOOOO FUCKING MUCH.
    i was wondering about "replay value."

and HOLY SHIT, @kleiner352 , my sentiments exactly! THAT should have been the ending. i have a funny feeling that it was GONNA be the ending but someone decided to change it.
    Again, I own the whole series on Blu-Ray so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    I will always love "Dexter, just not the ending.

Currently watching Orange is the New Black. This.show.is.so.good. Can't wait for the 2nd season. I'm going to watch as many episodes of that until i pass out tonight.
    I mentioned my opinion on the ending and the eight season in the Dexter thread.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    well not sure where to put this, but last nite we popped into London to catch a showing of Jersey Boys, @ Piccadilly Theatre

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InnerLondon Skywave View Post
    Only God Forgives with Ryan Gosling is by no means a great film.....but did anyone else think it was one of the most visually stunning films they have ever seen? Holy fuck the lighting and atmosphere was powerful. seriously could not stop staring at the screen.
    The Incest relationship between Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Scott Thomas was weird but funny.
    Watched it recently and thought it was awesome. Lynch goes to Bangkok. KST was hot.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow the other day. I liked it a lot. Groundhog Day + aliens. Emily Blunt=awesome.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I second the Edge of Tomorrow recommendation. Its just a really fun, solid sci-fi flick that comments on video game tropes in a clever way. Pleasantly surprised. Its sort of like what I hoped Elysium could've been when I saw the trailers and pictures from that film.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm gonna go ahead and third Edge of Tomorrow. I saw it in IMAX 3D this past weekend and damn that extra-large frame is so luxurious. The sound is of course amazing, and the 3D was good - particularly during those plentiful battles on the beach with sand and debris flying in the foreground & background.

As for the movie itself, it's such a joy to see Tom Cruise go from playing a funny, convincing wimp to playing a convincing badass. It made me realize how often I (and probably most audiences) take TC's badassery for granted - because he is a badass doing insane stunt work at age 50. So, seeing that character arc was very satisfying. Bill Paxton is the cherry on top when it comes to the cast if you ask me. He's totally channeling Apone from Aliens. Torch passed.

The creatures/aliens are very unique and often pretty scary with how quickly they move and appear.

I could go into more spoiler-y detail, but just know that Edge of Tomorrow is cleverly constructed (both in story and editing), well-acted, and beautifully rendered in terms of action and special effects. My favorite summer blockbuster so far.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Finished off the entire Breaking Bad series on Netflix last night. Now I get why so many people were hooked on this show.