Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Just got back from Jurassic Park IMAX 3D, it was glorious

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I'm so hungry.
    I can't watch that show anymore, everything looks delicious.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    I can't watch that show anymore, everything looks delicious.
    I can't watch the show, though I wish I could. Something about Guy Fieri disgusts me.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Is it the fact that he looks like a bleach-blonde Ron Jeremy?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Is it the fact that he looks like a bleach-blonde Ron Jeremy?
    No, it might be the fact that he looks like a facepaintless Violent J from ICP.

Or if he was a pokemon, an evolved version of that dude from Smash Mouth.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Just got back from Jurassic Park IMAX 3D, it was glorious
    saw it in 3D (but not IMAX) and it was a lot of fun. 3D is still a bit of a gimmick, to me, but being able to see it in the theater was what made it worthwhile.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    the first 4 seasons of Fringe are on Netflix, and I'm watching the season finale of 4. This show is phenomenal!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    recently finished my first time through Twin Peaks so last night my girlfriend sat me down to watch Fire Walk With Me and jesus christ. i want to see that movie with all of the footage that lynch originally intended to be included (he shot over 5 hours worth and the movie is only 2:14).

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Perfect Strangers

I used to watch it religiously when it first aired in the late 80s. This is by far my all time favorite sitcom. Bronson Pinchot and Mark Linn-Baker are so incredible in their roles. I just love everything about it.

Except maybe the dumb blond thing; it was taken a little bit too far.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: What Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    recently finished my first time through Twin Peaks so last night my girlfriend sat me down to watch Fire Walk With Me and jesus christ. i want to see that movie with all of the footage that lynch originally intended to be included (he shot over 5 hours worth and the movie is only 2:14).
    Been considering a rewatch of that.

Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Perfect Strangers

I used to watch it religiously when it first aired in the late 80s. This is by far my all time favorite sitcom. Bronson Pinchot and Mark Linn-Baker are so incredible in their roles. I just love everything about it.

Except maybe the dumb blond thing; it was taken a little bit too far.
    Caught my dad watching that a few days ago. Brought back memories. Loved that show.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Gone

Spartacus War of the Dammed - The dead and the dying

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Spartacus had what I think is one of the best finales ever. Gannicus' final scene killed me as did Spartacus' final moment. The scene where Crassus asked Spartacus if he had been a Roman, would he have been on his side was quite touching considering that for all of the conflict between slaves and Romans, there was an equal amount of respect between these two men.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Spartacus had what I think is one of the best finales ever. Gannicus' final scene killed me as did Spartacus' final moment. The scene where Crassus asked Spartacus if he had been a Roman, would he have been on his side was quite touching considering that for all of the conflict between slaves and Romans, there was an equal amount of respect between these two men.
    Have not watched the finale yet, will watch it this week. I have really enjoyed watching Spartacus the whole series from when Andy Whitfield was Spartacus.
    Spartacus and Mad Men top TV

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Might get bashed for this, but I have been watching The Big Bang Theory lately.... geez Sheldon and Howard have some great lines even though most of the comedy is cheesy.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Might get bashed for this, but I have been watching The Big Bang Theory lately.... geez Sheldon and Howard have some great lines even though most of the comedy is cheesy.
    my problem with that show is its inherent misogyny and the fact that it perpetuates the idea of a "geek" or a "nerd" as someone who is completely out of touch with reality, as opposed to being someone who is just really passionate about the things they like.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Batman Beyond. All that nostalgia. This was probably my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. Glad to finally be seeing it again. Thank You, Netflix.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Take Shelter is so good. Mike Shannon is amazing and is an actor with so much potential. Love the mood and execution of this film!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my problem with that show is its inherent misogyny and the fact that it perpetuates the idea of a "geek" or a "nerd" as someone who is completely out of touch with reality, as opposed to being someone who is just really passionate about the things they like.
    I think that's why I like Sheldon so much. Compared to the stereotype-land that the others live in, it doesn't even register with him.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The IT Crowd's a better take on 'geek culture', in my opinion. The last couple of seasons have been murderously funny.

My problem with Big Bang Theory stems from Everson's, in that it's transitioned from smart in-jokes to making fun of their love of comics and general nerdiness. Sheldon worked so well because he was the world's most lovable chap at the deep end of the autistic scale, not because he likes dressing up as The Flash.

Another thing that bugs me is the annoyed-friend trope, in which one person in an exchange is the 'cooler' person who rolls their eyes at the other's weirdness. It's something that's also very prevalent in Two And A Half Men, which makes me think that Chuck Lorre is the detrimental factor in these shows.

With all that said, when it's on form, Big Bang Theory is tremendous.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Living and the Dead - a very weird strange shocking British horror film i wish I had not watched. IMDB says the director made the film weeks after both of his parents died, I think he should have had counselling instead of making a film.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gonna throw on the original Evil Dead since the remake is out here tomorrow.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I think that's why I like Sheldon so much. Compared to the stereotype-land that the others live in, it doesn't even register with him.
    Yup. Also, I find it pretty impressive with the lines that the actor has to memorize and spit out so fluently.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Watched Oblivion last night. It was actually pretty decent. It was cheesy and flawed but somehow it still worked on the whole. It was a medley of sci-fi. The Matrix meets Moon meets Chronicles of Riddick meets Solaris with sprinkles of Inception, Blade Runner, etc. I could go on. But the direction, the imagery, the performances, they all come together enough to make this effort worthwhile. The IMAX was breathtaking. I'd highly recommend it as a nice summer movie prologue. Nordling over at AICN wrote a review that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I used to watch it regularly during the first five seasons and thought it was consistently good, sometimes very good. I don't really know why I stopped watching the new episodes. Maybe there is a little too much routine now, but the show used to have a kind of humor you don't find anywhere else.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    I used to watch it regularly during the first five seasons and thought it was consistently good, sometimes very good. I don't really know why I stopped watching the new episodes. Maybe there is a little too much routine now, but the show used to have a kind of humor you don't find anywhere else.
    Yea, it def got more watered down for me when they started bringing the girlfriends into the mix. I liked it when it was the original 5 and the other girlfriends were just guest appearances instead of being in the cast full time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Mad Men - first episode of new series

Ah Don back to his bad old ways again!. Reviews for episodes so far have not been that good

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Mad Men - first episode of new series

Ah Don back to his bad old ways again!. Reviews for episodes so far have not been that good
    Really? I'm quite happy so far with the new season. It's starting up slowly, but I enjoy it just as much as I did with every other season.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Well in the UK Mad Men has not has the buzz it usualy has. Just watched finale of Spartacus! I will miss watching that. Was that Andy Whitfield they showed at the end of the credits?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    You know, I really liked this movie. But the funniest part of it was discovering that the actor who played Bjurman in Dragon Tattoo was in it, only when he took his shirt off in one scene of The Way.