Page 26 of 155 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Alright Moonrise Kingdom, tug at my heartstrings.
    Dammit, Wes Anderson, why your movies gotta be so charming?!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Would recommend a powerful documentary/film called Dreams Of A Life, about a 37 year old woman who was discovered in her London apartment having been dead for 3 years.
    It asks how such a beautiful, intelligent social hi flying woman who had been friends with Gil Scott Heron and met Nelson Mandella simply vanished off the face of the earth and lost contact with everyone around her including friends and family.
    She died in 2003 her body was discovered in 2006. She was not murdered there was no foul play and it was not Drug/Alcohol related.
    Her name was Joyce Vincent. When they found her the T.V was still on and her disintegrated body was on the couch facing it! No one noticed the smell because a huge air fan unit/thing was next to her window.
    Her apartment was above a shopping Mall where Hundreds of thousands of people visit every week. She was dead the whole time above it! Chilling.
    Documentary resonated with me because i used to live literally 2 minutes away from the apartment complex where she died and i know how shitty the area is.

It examines how people can just fall through the cracks and loose contact with everyone they have ever known and end up in a situation where no one knows your dead or reports you missing for 3 years until bailiffs knock down your door.

It sounds depressing but its fascinating and way better than i expected, just sort of chronicles someones journey from the peak of their life into the abyss over the space of a few years, and it looks at the impact her death had on the area she lived in. Its won loads of awards got a lot of attention last year, been meaning to see it for ages, its an amazing piece.
    Yes it is a very powerful documentary. Watched it on a plane, couldn't not believe how someone could just drop out of life and no one not notice!. I think her family refused to be part of the documentary though. Very sad and thoughtprovoking.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Party Animals--a BBC show with a pre-Doctor Who Matt Smith.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    On deck tonight: Lawless
    Don't let me down, Hillcoat and Cave. I am willingly renting a movie with Shia LeBeouf in it. I'm hoping Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Guy Pierce counteract this.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    On deck tonight: Lawless
    Don't let me down, Hillcoat and Cave. I am willingly renting a movie with Shia LeBeouf in it. I'm hoping Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Guy Pierce counteract this.
    How was it? My dad wanted to see it when it was in theaters but never made it, I was gonna pick it up for him for Christmas tomorrow.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Half hour in, it's on pause until tomorrow because I am too tired to finish the next 90min, but it's good so far!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Randomly on Spike TV on December 3rd, I'll take it.

<3

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    How was it? My dad wanted to see it when it was in theaters but never made it, I was gonna pick it up for him for Christmas tomorrow.
    40min left, I'm sure that in true John Hillcoat style this will end ugly. Great music (Nick Cave- who wrote the movie as well- and Warren Ellis, Emmy Lou Harris, etc.)

Also true to Hillcoat, savage bursts of violence. I'm enjoying it, it's a good looking film. I'm not even minding Shia "OPTIMUS!!!" LeBeouf.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I saw Seven Psychopaths tonight at the discount cinema. Great entertainment. I hate to call it a sleeper hit, but I think that's what it is. Seems like most of the audience enjoyed it as well, and I think it'll gain popularity when it hits home video.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Se7en. I still think it's a little over-rated, but my appreciation has grown for it.

Heat. Still my favorite movie of all-time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Se7en is my favorite movie ever
    About to start watching The Amazing Spiderman (2012) and I'm getting this feeling that is gonna suck so much.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Killing Them Softly. ​In a word, dissapointed.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Fuck you all, I'm gonna watch Under Siege!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: What Are You Watching?

Point Break.

God bless this movie.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I recently watched OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio. They're directed by Michel Hazanavicius and star Jean Dujardin (both from The Artist). The films are comedic spoofs of the Eurospy genre. They're worth checking out, and available on Instant Netflix. Funny stuff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    ^ I can only agree! Back in March when I was visiting friends in NYC we watched both on Netflix (we don't have that over here) when hungover. Seeing them in French with English subtitles only added to the experience. Great and very funny movies! If you are into Dujardin you must check out 99 francs aswell where he plays a drugged out advertisment designer. Very entertaining!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^
    Thanks for the recommendation..... I hadn't heard of 99 Francs. I just watched the trailer then searched for it on Netflix. It's not available yet. Amazon sells the import DVD, but it's on the pricey side. I'll have to keep my eyes open for wider U.S. availability. Thanks for heads up on that one..... looks good.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Finally got around to watching A Serious Man. I don't know how I felt about it. It definitely kept my interest the whole way. I really liked how they didn't just hand the message to you; you really have to work at it to kind of piece it together. It would take a second viewing and/or really sitting down and thinking about it for awhile to figure it out, I think. Which is great.

But anyway, that aside, like I said, I'm not sure whether I really liked it or not. I'll have to let it settle for a bit. I am glad I watched it, though. And it's the first full movie I've watched since I got an HDTV and a Blu-ray player, so it was nice to be able to sit down and really use it. It looked fantastic in HD.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Finally got to see Cabin in the Woods and alhtough I'm really late to the party I really enjoyed it. Nice little flick and quite a clever idea it was based on. Next up is Don't be afraid of the dark since I couldn't find Cronos and the Devil's Backbone anywhere.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    True Blood finale

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Lincoln- I liked it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Finally got around to seeing Revolutionary Road. What an incredibly stupid way to end a movie (the last 30 seconds, I mean).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Jesus, that takes me back.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Mildred Pierce. The HBO version. I need to got watch the Joan Crawford version again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Finally got around to seeing Revolutionary Road. What an incredibly stupid way to end a movie (the last 30 seconds, I mean).
    God that movie is so fucking depressing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Got to see the Hunter with Willem Dafoe yesterday. Powerfull movie with a great setting and a mesmerizing performance by Dafoe. It kind of has an Antichrist-vibe to it because of the stunning and wide nature shots and the sparse music, but it definitely is a great little movie about one of earth's most beautiful landscapes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Alien: Resurrection yesterday, because I watched the other three back-to-back last week and I felt I owed it another shot. It's not quite as crap as remember it, but the third act remains utter rubbish.

Bought The X-Files box, am now going to start re-watching the whole thing in its entirey, with the movies at the correct spots and everything. But FUCK ME I always forget how horrifying I found Squeeze.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    God that movie is so fucking depressing.
    Very much so. I was expecting it to be sad, but JESUS.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I wanna be Gary Oldman when I grow up.