why the fuck am I watching Gremlins 2?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    why the fuck am I watching Gremlins 2?
    Answer: Robert Picardo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry to disappoint you but this was the uncut scene.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Charlie Bronson

VS.

Chopper

FIGHT!
    It's an informal poll...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Hour

Misfits

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just watched "The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye", terribly sad but strangely uplifting. Has a similarly dreamy feel to "The Alcohol Years" by Carol Morley. Reminds me of the sort of thing Channel 4 used to show late at night back when they still gave a shit.

You do feel the loss is that much worse because they had become so committed to each other, to point of getting surgery to align their appearances, etc. Gen describes it as "jumping off a cliff" together. How lost and adrift would you feel to lose someone after moving that close to them?

I love films about subcultural misfits and twilight worlds, so it hit the spot for me in that respect. So odd to see Gen cooking dinner and having a birthday bbq... not that they seem uncomfortable but it does make you think about rigidly conformist our lifestyles can be - they look so incongruous and shoehorned in to these domestic situations.

I was always more into Coil than Psychic TV & did used to wonder if Gen was just a bit of a blagger, but really this film made me think maybe he does believe in what he is doing. There's lots of arty shenanigans and cod-profundities to get cynical eyes rolling, but then suddenly things get a bit dark when they start getting surgery, and you realise that they really are serious people, their lifestyle isn't an accessory & their art is honest.

I suppose it isn't dark really, it's pretty profound that they would want to embrace each others' identities to the point of becoming one person split through two prisms, it's just such a strange expression of intimacy.

Recommended! It is out there

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    really, really can't wait until it's screened in chicago.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Zodiac ​again. Still Fincher's masterpiece.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was just watching Shock Corridor by Samuel Fuller. Fuck, that was insane. Yet, a true example of what cinema is. The exact opposite of another film I had the unfortunate of watching a few weeks ago in Alvin & the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked. The horror...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Blown Away is on TV. I haven't seen this movie in fucking years.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Blown Away is on TV. I haven't seen this movie in fucking years.
    Which one? The Jeff Bridges/Tommy Lee Jones film or the one starring the Coreys?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Which one? The Jeff Bridges/Tommy Lee Jones film or the one starring the Coreys?
    The first one. Along with Speed, this movie made 1994 the "Summer of the mad bomber"!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Bill Nye the Science Guy!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm halfway through the first season of American Horror Story. Don't know why it took me so long to give it a try, I freakin' love it!!!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just watched Holy Motors... what the fuck? That was a strange-ass movie but... absolutely brilliant.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Ice Age 4 and End of Game last night.
    The latter being one of the best "cop" movie in a long time.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl.

I am on such a history tear. Fascinating and so preventable.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Take Me Home Tonight - retro 80's boy likes girl 'comedy' but something was missing the music was good but not that funny.

Can't believe ITV are showing a 3 hour David Lynch film!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl.

I am on such a history tear. Fascinating and so preventable.
    Is that an older film cause i watched something similar in my Dakotas history class a couple years back.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Take Me Home Tonight - retro 80's boy likes girl 'comedy' but something was missing the music was good but not that funny.

Can't believe ITV are showing a 3 hour David Lynch film!
    I watched this on Netflix one night and it was.... ok. What was missing was the comedy in general. I remember seeing the trailer for this a long time ago and it actually made me laugh, but some of those scenes were not even in the movie that was a let down.. it just was not that much of a good time. The dance off was pretty humorous though.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Is that an older film cause i watched something similar in my Dakotas history class a couple years back.
    No, it's new and it just aired on PBS a few days ago. And I missed it. Thank god for torrent sites!

One day, when I have the monies, I'm buying everything Ken Burns has done. I've borrowed Baseball and The Civil War so many times from the library that when I go and get something else, I'm being asked if I finally got tired of them.

Nope, never going to happen.

Oh and I've watched In Dreams recently. Annette Bening is overdoing it a bit but dear lord, creepy RDJ is fantastic.
    Last edited by marodi; 11-27-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I did watch something.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    No, it's new and it just aired on PBS a few days ago. And I missed it. Thank god for torrent sites!
    PBS is streaming it on their website through 12/4.

I finally watched Black Swan. Ewwww creepy. I got a bit lost when she was hallucinating and when she wasn't - or was it just ALL in her head. That putting the camera right behind her was so obvious it started to annoy me a bit - yet - I still got lost.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love me some ESPN's 30 for 30....

Watched Benji the other night and it was gut-wrenching. Got to hear the unedited story of his shooting from the actual shooter.

(Now I need to find a way to get the first season of 30 for 30 on Blu Ray without paying full price)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Would recommend a powerful documentary/film called Dreams Of A Life, about a 37 year old woman who was discovered in her London apartment having been dead for 3 years.
    It asks how such a beautiful, intelligent social hi flying woman who had been friends with Gil Scott Heron and met Nelson Mandella simply vanished off the face of the earth and lost contact with everyone around her including friends and family.
    She died in 2003 her body was discovered in 2006. She was not murdered there was no foul play and it was not Drug/Alcohol related.
    Her name was Joyce Vincent. When they found her the T.V was still on and her disintegrated body was on the couch facing it! No one noticed the smell because a huge air fan unit/thing was next to her window.
    Her apartment was above a shopping Mall where Hundreds of thousands of people visit every week. She was dead the whole time above it! Chilling.
    Documentary resonated with me because i used to live literally 2 minutes away from the apartment complex where she died and i know how shitty the area is.

It examines how people can just fall through the cracks and loose contact with everyone they have ever known and end up in a situation where no one knows your dead or reports you missing for 3 years until bailiffs knock down your door.

It sounds depressing but its fascinating and way better than i expected, just sort of chronicles someones journey from the peak of their life into the abyss over the space of a few years, and it looks at the impact her death had on the area she lived in. Its won loads of awards got a lot of attention last year, been meaning to see it for ages, its an amazing piece.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Expendables 2. The only reason Norris and Arnie are in it are to recycle things they've said in previous movies and/or be Chuck Norris. Horrible. At least I have Dark City as a backup to wash the taste outta my mouth...

A masterpiece of wanton butchery, though.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Die Another Day is on TV. Pierce Brosnan is absolutely shit as Bond.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Die Another Day is on TV. Pierce Brosnan is absolutely shit as Bond.
    That is the worst film of the Bond series for me. It was just hella-dumb.

Meanwhile... I just saw Rosemary's Baby. Goddamn!!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Shut up. You're in Dubrovnik, I can't hear you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Alright Moonrise Kingdom, tug at my heartstrings.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Why did it take me so long to start Workaholics? Binging through the first season right now, 1 or 2 episodes to go.