Page 143 of 154 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 153 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,290 of 4613

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Anyone else watch Time Team? I never had the chance back during it's initial run but they've been uploading select episodes to YouTube, and then also offering commentary. And then I found out they also have a podcast going... all this is leading up to new digs coming soon. So, I'm happy about that.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Oh wow, I was JUST thinking about that show last night. It was absolutely fantastic. Glad you're enjoying it!

As for me, I just got back from seeing Blue Bayou and it is my favorite movie of the year so far. Absolutely wonderful film. Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    The new Ken Burns "Muhammad Ali" film. So far nothing new really but as with most Burns films it's quite good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I know I'm late to the party with FX's Devs, but, holy shit it's so good. I actually started watching by accident as it began playing after another show of mine had finished. I wasn't really into the promos as it seemed a little too abstract for me, but, damn! Glad to be wrong about this one.
    DEVs is one of the best shows I've seen in awhile. Just incredible.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

halfway through and it's alright. It looks AMAZING, thats really what keeps me coming back. Serious $ was thrown at this. I hope the story grabs me more as I progress.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So good.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched "Free Guy".

Enjoyed "Free Guy".

FRIENDLY GESTURE!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I liked it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    going to have to watch that, my son keeps getting annoyed by these same clichés because he doesn't understand that some of them are short hand for something vs. "why are these people so stupid all the time".

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    The Velvet Underground. Excellent documentary.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    So good.

SO friggin funny, and SO absolutely Detroit. It really sucks that it was canceled.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Succession Season 3 is very good so far.

I hope that Tom and Cousin Greg get a spin off show.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Battleship.

I know, it's a stupid movie. But it's also a fun movie. And I feel bad for Taylor Kitsch because he got such a raw deal in 2012, between this and John Carter.

And I love that scene sooo freaking much:

Not because it's a 'MURICA!!! scene but because all the "vets" in this are real Missouri vets and some of them did serve in WWII. To me, that scene says that veterans are not old and useless, they are experienced and knowledgable. And very, very important.

And oh brother, somebody is going to kiss the donkey!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I watched Lamb. I usually really enjoy A24's offerings but damn, I struggle to see what the point of this movie was. Sometimes strangeness alone is simply not a good enough reason to make a movie. I seldom throw this phrase around but by the end I actually felt this was a waste of my time. Other than some nice shots of the Icelandic landscape, I did not get anything else from this on any level!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Don't Look Up. Holy shit. The perfect 2021 movie.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So like, we watched the first three episodes of Station Eleven last night.

We are baffled.

This thing better come together at some point, because it ISN'T surreal enough to be, you know, truly lynchian. I really hope.it works.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quite liked it, to me, it felt a very good 90s action movie (or at least the actions movies that I enjoyed). So yeah, watch it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So like, we watched the first three episodes of Station Eleven last night.

We are baffled.

This thing better come together at some point, because it ISN'T surreal enough to be, you know, truly lynchian. I really hope.it works.
    How are you feeling on this now that there's only one episode left?

Personally I really really love the path this show has taken. It's been like The Last of Us without the zombies and horror aspects. The acting has all been great, and I think the story has been for the most part unpredictable and has kept me interested more and more each week. Episode 9 was such an unexpected turn in the story, but I honestly loved it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    How are you feeling on this now that there's only one episode left?

Personally I really really love the path this show has taken. It's been like The Last of Us without the zombies and horror aspects. The acting has all been great, and I think the story has been for the most part unpredictable and has kept me interested more and more each week. Episode 9 was such an unexpected turn in the story, but I honestly loved it.
    we haven't been brave enough to watch anymore of it yet! Does it find a rhythm, if you will?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    we haven't been brave enough to watch anymore of it yet! Does it find a rhythm, if you will?
    I would say yes. At this point everything connected is circling back around and everything is making sense. But I also have loved the show since the start so I don't know if I can say for sure or not whether it'd pull you back in. It continues to be wildly non-linear so if that was an issue for you, that'll continue to bother you.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I would say yes. At this point everything connected is circling back around and everything is making sense. But I also have loved the show since the start so I don't know if I can say for sure or not whether it'd pull you back in. It continues to be wildly non-linear so if that was an issue for you, that'll continue to bother you.
    It's not that I can't handle non-linear. And I also adore surrealism. It's just that, after the first three hours, I felt like, idk, that I was missing something I should've already picked up. I mean, I love Catch-22 and Infinite Jest and Pynchon and House of Leaves and The Leftovers and Memento and Cloud Atlas and David Lynch, but I almost felt like, after three episodes that THIS fucking thing might be over my head. That hasn't happened YET, but it was bound to at some point, right? :P

Or maybe I should just watch the 4th one and be comfortable with my current level of understanding, and see how it goes. It's not that I didn't ENJOY the first three.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's not that I can't handle non-linear. And I also adore surrealism. It's just that, after the first three hours, I felt like, idk, that I was missing something I should've already picked up. I mean, I love Catch-22 and Infinite Jest and Pynchon and House of Leaves and The Leftovers and Memento and Cloud Atlas and David Lynch, but I almost felt like, after three episodes that THIS fucking thing might be over my head. That hasn't happened YET, but it was bound to at some point, right? :P

Or maybe I should just watch the 4th one and be comfortable with my current level of understanding, and see how it goes. It's not that I didn't ENJOY the first three.
    Well in all honestly, at the beginning the show presents itself as an End of the World Post-Apocalyptic show and over time it's slowly revealed itself to not entirely be just that. Ultimately the show has turned more into about what people do to survive trauma and grief. At least that's how I've been absorbing it. The graphic novel that the two main characters wield around the entire series is less important and relevant than the love and commitment that both characters have for it, and the way its words helped them cope with an unthinkable global tragedy.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Well in all honestly, at the beginning the show presents itself as an End of the World Post-Apocalyptic show and over time it's slowly revealed itself to not entirely be just that. Ultimately the show has turned more into about what people do to survive trauma and grief. At least that's how I've been absorbing it. The graphic novel that the two main characters wield around the entire series is less important and relevant than the love and commitment that both characters have for it, and the way its words helped them cope with an unthinkable global tragedy.
    Have you seen The Leftovers? I think it's one of the same show runners. THAT one is similar to what you're describing, in a way, in that it starts with millions of people simply vanishing in some unexplained event, but never explains what the event was. Instead, it, well, focuses a lot on "what people.do to survive trauma and grief."
    It's got a bit of surrealism going for it, too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Have you seen The Leftovers? I think it's one of the same show runners. THAT one is similar to what you're describing, in a way, in that it starts with millions of people simply vanishing in some unexplained event, but never explains what the event was. Instead, it, well, focuses a lot on "what people.do to survive trauma and grief."
    It's got a bit of surrealism going for it, too.
    Dude The Leftovers is one of my absolute favorite shows ever. That show's finale is probably my favorite series finales ever made.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I watched Lamb. I usually really enjoy A24's offerings but damn, I struggle to see what the point of this movie was. Sometimes strangeness alone is simply not a good enough reason to make a movie. I seldom throw this phrase around but by the end I actually felt this was a waste of my time. Other than some nice shots of the Icelandic landscape, I did not get anything else from this on any level!
    I’m considering watching this tonight. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I liked Lamb, but it is a very hard movie to recommend. The subject matter, or I guess concept of the movie, is not that weird in a folk/ horror story, but the way the movie tells the story and handles everything is very strange for this type of movie. I think the craft of the movie is almost flawless, beautifully shot and acted. The pacing and development for some might be a very slow and thin. And, you have to take a huge leap of faith to stay present and engaged which is another reason I understand why people wouldn't like the movie. The movie does not give you much to stay present and engaged either beside a tone and good actors. It is hard to explain to someone who has not seen it, and I completely understand why some don't like it or are bored by it or couldn't accept it would be a way to describe disliking it. There is something very cognitively dissonant about the subject matter of the film as a visual thing and the craft of the story telling in how the film was made. For me there where moments of what the fuck am I watching. And again, not out of shock or weirdness, but just the effort of the tone and reality the film trys to create in telling this story. Which I know some would say who cares about the process of the why and how the movie was made if the movie is boring or unengaging or seemingly pointless or in this case mix of tones (some almost comical) that can take you out of what you feel (or expect) is a heavy psychological or folk horror story. For me, it was just a very strange expierence watching it, but overall rewarding. Sometimes you watch a movie and wonder how it ever got made. What inspired the director how did it get funded. And sometimes those types movies are good in a B-movie sort of way or a cult movie way. But this movie has all the hallmarks of an excellently crafted movie, the type of thing you would expect from A24, but the drive of the film is such a headscracther within this well made movie. You could almost take away the main plot point and character and you would still have a beautifully shot character study/couple/family dynamic movie. There is something that is sort of forced into that, or forced into the things we traditionally accept in movie genre reality. Which is weird because we acccept all kinds of folk horror or supernatural or fantasy things in other movies or stories as long as they are tethered to something we accept as real or able to be real or how they work in narrative story telling or why they are an ingredient in story telling.
    This was a very long post for a movie that I wouldn't recommend but that I liked and had a very unique experience watching.
    Last edited by Alpha 60; 01-08-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    25 years ago today....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    You could almost take away the main plot point and character and you would still have a beautifully shot character study/couple/family dynamic movie.
    The thing is, in my case I did not find it particularly interesting as a character study either.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    I liked Lamb, but it is a very hard movie to recommend. The subject matter, or I guess concept of the movie, is not that weird in a folk/ horror story, but the way the movie tells the story and handles everything is very strange for this type of movie. I think the craft of the movie is almost flawless, beautifully shot and acted. The pacing and development for some might be a very slow and thin. And, you have to take a huge leap of faith to stay present and engaged which is another reason I understand why people wouldn't like the movie. The movie does not give you much to stay present and engaged either beside a tone and good actors. It is hard to explain to someone who has not seen it, and I completely understand why some don't like it or are bored by it or couldn't accept it would be a way to describe disliking it. There is something very cognitively dissonant about the subject matter of the film as a visual thing and the craft of the story telling in how the film was made. For me there where moments of what the fuck am I watching. And again, not out of shock or weirdness, but just the effort of the tone and reality the film trys to create in telling this story. Which I know some would say who cares about the process of the why and how the movie was made if the movie is boring or unengaging or seemingly pointless or in this case mix of tones (some almost comical) that can take you out of what you feel (or expect) is a heavy psychological or folk horror story. For me, it was just a very strange expierence watching it, but overall rewarding. Sometimes you watch a movie and wonder how it ever got made. What inspired the director how did it get funded. And sometimes those types movies are good in a B-movie sort of way or a cult movie way. But this movie has all the hallmarks of an excellently crafted movie, the type of thing you would expect from A24, but the drive of the film is such a headscracther within this well made movie. You could almost take away the main plot point and character and you would still have a beautifully shot character study/couple/family dynamic movie. There is something that is sort of forced into that, or forced into the things we traditionally accept in movie genre reality. Which is weird because we acccept all kinds of folk horror or supernatural or fantasy things in other movies or stories as long as they are tethered to something we accept as real or able to be real or how they work in narrative story telling or why they are an ingredient in story telling.
    This was a very long post for a movie that I wouldn't recommend but that I liked and had a very unique experience watching.
    I watched it and while there were moments of “what the fuck”, there were also moments of beauty, suspense, terror, etc.

Overall, I liked it. It stayed with me through the next day and I kept thinking about it which to me is the sign of a good movie.

Glad I watched!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk