Page 12 of 155 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Let's make a deal: you'll watch Zodiac and I'll watch Oldboy?
    You got yourself a deal.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I saw The Descendants last night. It's the first thing that's held my attention in a little while, which can only be a good thing!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Catching up on Breaking Bad thanks to Netflix. I saw the first 2-3 episodes when the show started, but lost track due to losing cable.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I saw The Descendants last night. It's the first thing that's held my attention in a little while, which can only be a good thing!
    Good to know. The art house around the corner is playing this film next week and I've already put it in my calendar - otherwise it won't happen.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was just watching Survivor: One World.... WHAT THE FUCK?!!!

The men's tribe wins immunity but the annoying gay guy ruins everything because he didn't like the African-American comedian and decides to have him out for good while the midget does something that wasn't supposed to be done and they give the immunity idol to the women's tribe and they go to tribal council and.... I've seen some stupid things as a fan of this show but wow. I really hate that Colton guy. What a bitch!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Perfect Sense w/ Ewan McGregor & Eva Green. Very well done movie full of subtleties that impressed the shit outta me from a writing standpoint. Beat the heck out of Blindness a few years ago. Kinda had the vibe an Aronofsky/Mansell collaboration or even Children of Men. Reminded me of The Signal in that two people try to find hope in a f'd up situation. Leaves you satisfied but sad for them. Only complaint was the voiceover. Wouldn't be surprised if its one of my frontrunners at the end of 2012.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Good to know. The art house around the corner is playing this film next week and I've already put it in my calendar - otherwise it won't happen.
    It's quite melancholy, but in a fun way. I'm sort of surprised it's not a Sofia Coppola film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    It's quite melancholy, but in a fun way. I'm sort of surprised it's not a Sofia Coppola film.
    The Descendants was really well done and i liked it, but felt like the big name underacting lead and the hottie daughter (who was showing flesh most of the time) kept pulling me out of the indie mood. it's like they cast those to make sure more people will see the movie and will get the academy's attention.
    Last edited by konstantin; 03-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Rewatching Pan's Labyrinth today for a paper about surrealism in movies I'm working on. Been a while and I'm looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Last night went and saw Wanderlust.
    Paul Rudd was really funny, but the movie was only ok. I think some off the jokes came off really flat and/or forced.
    I would give it a 6/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Friend of mine sent me a movie called Secretary.. apparently it reminded him of me.. Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader star in it.. its a few years old but ended up being quite interesting - dry but very interesting. I rarely get to see any movie these days so it was a treat for me. Definitely not for everyone but check it out...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Catching up on Breaking Bad thanks to Netflix. I saw the first 2-3 episodes when the show started, but lost track due to losing cable.
    Midway through season 2 now. Hank is a really great character, pulling off the lovable goofball/bad-ass DEA agent dynamic perfectly. Everything else has been great, but that has really come to mind.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Rewatching Pan's Labyrinth today for a paper about surrealism in movies I'm working on. Been a while and I'm looking forward to it.
    Have you seen these lists?

List 1:
    http://www.imdb.com/list/E_D7ntV61Bc/

List 2:
    http://www.imdb.com/list/cu80x7McV2s/

Also, have you seen Cat Soup?
    Part 1 of 3:

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    No, thank you! Nice to see Alien on that list since this is the second movie I'll be covering as I didn't want to focus too much on French films and instead talk about movies that are usually not shown during seminars. The first half of the paper is about Dali while the second is trying to look for his legacy in newer productions. Alien just popped up in my mind since Giger's surrealistic paintings made their way beautifully into this movie.

On the other side I'm really glad the semester is over as it did get on my nerves pretty quick to discuss surrealism and surrealisitc motives in movies for 5 months straight. But looking at these lists, some flicks will have to go on my to-watch list either way.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    ^^ You should check this out: http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This weeks Spartacus had probably the sweetest kill yet. Love this show.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    This weeks Spartacus had probably the sweetest kill yet. Love this show.
    So do I! It's a show that's finally coming together in terms of its writing. Notably on the episode "Libertus" where Spartacus and his gang did the impossible. The last one where Spartacus and Gannicus face-off against each other was cool while the bad guys in Glaber and Ashur are despicable and evil yet they're kind of cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Luther. What is with the second season only having 5 episodes?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post

That was really good indeed. Better than Contagion (quite different though) and better than the more similar Blindness. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it until now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ glad you enjoyed it. Funny you said Contagion, I was just going to mention it:

Watched Like Crazy - I think I liked it but the characters made such childish decisions in their relationship. Guess that's what we all did/do in our early 20s but it was frustrating to watch. I never knew how to feel and and for who, but it beat the shit outta your typical sappy bullshit romantic drama... so yeah, there you go.

And I finally watched Contagion as well..... I'm buying stock in hand sanitizer and never leaving my house again.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Rampart. Did not like. Some good moments, but many boring ones, and no characters to feel any empathy for. The suspense alone didn't maintain interest here.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Road to Nowhere. It's an OK film from Monte Hellman but Shannyn Sossaman is amazing in this film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl View Post
    Luther. What is with the second season only having 5 episodes?
    Sounds like you got yourself a deal. I think myself and everyone else only got to see 4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Rampart. Did not like. Some good moments, but many boring ones, and no characters to feel any empathy for. The suspense alone didn't maintain interest here.
    Been putting this one off for quite a while and wasn't sure why. Maybe now I know why. Kinda got that feeling from the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Road to Nowhere. It's an OK film from Monte Hellman but Shannyn Sossaman is amazing in this film.
    ...and I forgot about this one. In the queue now with a little caution.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Hoosiers - I had never seen it before and I love Gene Hackman. Good film
    Fair game - The Valerie Plame story. Very interesting and I love Sean Penn. I thought no way he could be Joe Wilson. I'm sure there were other actors that could look more like him, but I thought he did a descent job on mannerism. I remember the CIA recruiting on my college campus way back. They must still do that. That's how they got her.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Hoosiers - I had never seen it before and I love Gene Hackman. Good film
    You never seeing Hoosiers before is the most surprising thing I've read all day. I used to be able to quote it verbatim.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I know. I don't know what rock I've been sleeping under. I did quote it on Facebook and some outer space friend thought I was talking about drinking.

"There's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My grandmother attended the high school that was used in the film.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw Jeff Who Lives At Home last night and was floored by it. I thought it was a surprisingly really beautiful film. Definitely suggest everyone see it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Damn you, Game of Thrones for making me cry.