Page 11 of 154 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I saw Pandora's Box recently. The overall plot didn't do it for me, but it had a few great sequences.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Started watching the first season of Transformers Prime, pretty bad ass show.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rented "Nude Nuns With Big Guns". This should be interesting...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Adrien Brody's latest, Detachment, (from the director of American History X) is an excellent film. I have much respect for teachers; this film should be required viewing in High Schools.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Rented "Nude Nuns With Big Guns". This should be interesting...
    Meh, it was what it advertised.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Top Gear Bolivia special was one the most entertaining works of television I have ever seen.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just watched A Separation. That penultimate scene was just devastating to watch considering all that is happening.
    Last edited by thevoid99; 03-01-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correction

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    If Boardwalk Empire doesn't pick up soon, I'm out. Five episodes in and I'm struggling through every episode, hoping that it'll start getting interesting at some point. I don't mind slow shows, but you have to give me something to go on here. I'm not invested in any of the characters or the story at all. It almost feels like an obligation at this point to try and get through this.

On the plus side, I've got a huge list of shows that I've been meaning to check out, so if I give up on this then I can move onto something else.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    If Boardwalk Empire doesn't pick up soon, I'm out. Five episodes in and I'm struggling through every episode, hoping that it'll start getting interesting at some point. I don't mind slow shows, but you have to give me something to go on here. I'm not invested in any of the characters or the story at all. It almost feels like an obligation at this point to try and get through this.

On the plus side, I've got a huge list of shows that I've been meaning to check out, so if I give up on this then I can move onto something else.
    I will say this.. I got about halfway through the first season... and I really enjoyed it. But it did feel like a bit of a chore to watch - it can be exhausting, and the rest sat unwatched for about a year.

I eventually felt guilty about it, and finally went back and watched it, and followed season 2 along through the end. I was extremely glad I did. I would say it's actually one of if not the best show on television right now (right up there with Breaking Bad), and really delivers in the long term. You might end up disagreeing with my bold assessment, but I would say you need to fully give it to the end of season 2. If you aren't sold then, sure give up, but you need to do your due dilligence. It's that good. The nuance of the Nucky character absolutely makes the show, from his relationship to his women, to his brother, etc, but they really flesh out the better characters as well - Jimmy, Commodore, Eli, Jimmy's Mom, Rothstein, Capone, Chalky, etc... have faith man... have faith...

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I appreciate what you're saying, but I also don't feel I should have to watch two full seasons of a show for it to get good. If I'm six episodes in (which is just about where I'm at with this one) and a show still isn't grabbing me, I think I've given it a fair shake. I might give it another episode or two, but if it doesn't start getting interesting, I'm going to bail. Two seasons is too much of a commitment for something that I'm not even enjoying a little bit. But, like I said, I do appreciate what you're saying.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Sad to hear the show couldn't hold up to your expectations after the pilot. While I love this show to bits I can understand your feelings as there are some characters and story arcs I just can't seem to find any interest in, but I'd say you should at least watch until episode 7. That's the episode that totally sucked me in. If that one doesn't do anything for you than turn to another show that may suit you better. (Funny enough, the credits for that episode list a Rob Sheridan in the credits. :P)

That being sad, I'm still excited as hell for season 03 and what they will do with the two new announced characters and of course Capone as hinted by Terence Winter.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Catching up with Mad Men in preparation for the new season. Halfway through season three.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I really need to give that show another chance.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Catching up with Mad Men in preparation for the new season. Halfway through season three.
    Totally forgot this starts in 3 weeks! Good thing is that I'm actually in the US on the 25rd so I could easily prepare a season premiere festivity without having to wait for someone to upload the episode.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    On the flight from Hawaii - LA I selected Mad Men to watch during the flight. It was a show I always wanted to give a chance but never had the time. I thought it was the weirdest pilot - cool but strange in how all the characters seemed to have developed relationships and intrigues right from the start. As the episode ended I realized I had watched the last episode of the first season.

That said, I guess I'll give it another try...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    On the flight from Hawaii - LA I selected Mad Men to watch during the flight. It was a show I always wanted to give a chance but never had the time. I thought it was the weirdest pilot - cool but strange in how all the characters seemed to have developed relationships and intrigues right from the start. As the episode ended I realized I had watched the last episode of the first season.

That said, I guess I'll give it another try...
    This made me laugh as it reminded me of watching what I thought was the season finale of Season 5 of Rescue Me but it was actually only the end of one part of a two-part DVD collection split of Season 5. I was like: "that's the LAMEST way to end a season ever!!"

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Dragonball GT.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Dragonball GT.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.
    I think you're the only person who likes GT lol.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    I think you're the only person who likes GT lol.
    I won't lie, I love it just as much as I do the rest of the Dragonball series. :P Nostalgia ftw.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I won't lie, I love it just as much as I do the rest of the Dragonball series. :P Nostalgia ftw.
    To be honest. I never really got into Dragon Ball as a kid. When Toonami came on I looked forward to Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho and Tenchi Muyo.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    To be honest. I never really got into Dragon Ball as a kid. When Toonami came on I looked forward to Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho and Tenchi Muyo.
    Man, I liiived for Toonami, and early Adult Swim (well, still into Adult Swim). Gundam Wing ruled my life when I was a kid. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Tenchi Muyo or Yu Yu Hakusho since I was little...Now I've gotta make hard drive space.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    This made me laugh as it reminded me of watching what I thought was the season finale of Season 5 of Rescue Me but it was actually only the end of one part of a two-part DVD collection split of Season 5. I was like: "that's the LAMEST way to end a season ever!!"
    Ha. That reminds me of a friend of mine, poor soul, he became paraplegic during his teens and spends a lot of his time at home. Well, one day he decided to listen to an audio recorded novel on his ipod. Sitting there in his balcony, for a good 3-4 hours, he listened to this story with headphones on, eating crackers and thinking it was the weirdest novel ever. Pretty experimental, he thought. Well it turns out his ipod was set on shuffle...

I've never laughed as hard as we did that day; and he was obviously the first person to come to mind when I realized I'd watched the season finale on that plane.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Zodiac. Again.

That movie is so perfect. However, it has the unfortunate side effect of making me crave animal crackers.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I still haven't seen that.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I finally got around to watching The Savages (five years after it came out). It was pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great, as always. Laura Linney was really good, too. Not bad for free (thank God for the library).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    JVCD. That is one entertaining movie, an Van Damme is a surprisingly good actor.

Modern Family. I was reluctant to try it because I loathe Ed O'Neil, buit this is one funny show. I'm almost through season 1, and there are some pretty hilarious episodes (the valentines day one most notably).

From Dusk Til Dawn. Hadn't seen it in like 10 years. Wasn't sure if if would be as awesome as I remembered it. It is. It FUCKING is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Zodiac. Again.
    Excellent choice

I finally got around to watching The Savages
    Excellent choice

I mentioned in the Oscar's thread.... 2007 RULED!!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^I still haven't seen that.
    Let's make a deal: you'll watch Zodiac and I'll watch Oldboy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just watched the Help. It was a very good movie. Is it weird that the pie story ruined my appetite? I think pie is ruined for me for a while.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The Hudsucker Proxy

Some parts of the story isn't that great but it's still a very entertaining film. Very underrated.