Page 283 of 352 FirstFirst ... 183 233 273 281 282 283 284 285 293 333 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,490 of 10560

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Had no idea anyone on the board knew about them. Sadly they don't have much posted in the way of live content either because I'd bet her voice is killer live.
    you posted them once in a thread and that's how i discovered them!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This might be be somewhat dated but it's still a great example representing the genesis of hardcore. No actual live clips exist of this band that I am aware of, but I would love to be proven wrong!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It would be a shame if we let this classic slip away into oblivion:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you, uh...you ok?

also apparently there's a new Jerry album coming out, that should be fun; Degradation Trip was great.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Never really liked any of their other stuff, but this is good. Definite Orgy vibe.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

This album is a fucking BLAST. Dude who sings sounds like Perry Ferrel and Darryl from Glassjaw mashed together.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post

This song is incredible. That beat! Nasty.
    The three singles have been great. I haven't been excited about The Weeknd since Kiss Land.

Thundercat, FlyLo, and Kamasi together is always magic:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post

This song is incredible. That beat! Nasty.
    as said above, all 3 songs have been great but yeah After Hours is the pinnacle thus far. I love Abel so much. When that beat finally kicks in.....head nod & scrunch face in full effect.

Any explanation for the weirdo Vegas persona in all the videos thus far? I like it, it's funny, but I'm not following the context yet.

Big arena tour this summer. Dude is still just absolutely massively popular.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    This might be be somewhat dated but it's still a great example representing the genesis of hardcore. No actual live clips exist of this band that I am aware of, but I would love to be proven wrong!

You're in for a treat, b/c this is one of the most legendary documentations of the NYHC scene in it's heyday to ever be captured. Peak HR here too...a madman (in the best way possible) on stage.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Any explanation for the weirdo Vegas persona in all the videos thus far? I like it, it's funny, but I'm not following the context yet.
    Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

Glamour, excess, drugs.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    You're in for a treat, b/c this is one of the most legendary documentations of the NYHC scene in it's heyday to ever be captured. Peak HR here too...a madman (in the best way possible) on stage.
    Holy crap, how did I manage to overlook that! I used to be really good at Google searches. Will rip this one to DVD and watch proper on my theater system. Thanks!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Lagy Gaga - Stupid Love

Ugh, big yikes. I really liked Artpop and most of her pop stuff, but this song is a big dookie. Strange, since she usually really good songs for her singles.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Holy crap, how did I manage to overlook that! I used to be really good at Google searches. Will rip this one to DVD and watch proper on my theater system. Thanks!
    I tried finding some discussion/breakdown of some of the NYHC pillars that you can see in the crowd. Other than members of Warzone I couldn't find specifics. But there's alot of people at this show that were involved in stuff already at this time, or went on to big things later. Some good reviews from AllMusic and ::shudder:: Pitchfork...

It's common knowledge among punk and hardcore fans that the mighty Bad Brains were one of the greatest live acts of all time. But unless you were lucky enough to have witnessed the original lineup during the '80s, you were in danger of having missed the legend. Bad Brains performances after the late '80s were hit-or-miss affairs (due in large part to their unpredictable singer, H.R.). Now, there is finally proof that backs up the aforementioned claim -- the fantastic 2006 DVD Live: CBGB 1982. During the holiday season of 1982, the Bad Brains performed a trio of shows (supported by the likes of Minor Threat and the pre-Beastie Boys band the Young and the Useless) at their home away from home, CBGB's. The shows were wild and widely praised as among the finest the group ever did. Compiling standout performances from the three shows, Live: CBGB 1982 presents a faithful snapshot of the pandemonium of a hardcore punk show from around this time -- slam dancers often storm the stage and scream lyrics into the mike. The band is at the top of its game (especially H.R.), with explosively high-energy readings of the punk classics "Big Take Over," "Right Brigade," "Banned in D.C.," and "Pay to Cum," as well as such reggae detours as "King of Glory," "The Meek," and "Rally Round Jah Throne." The camera work may be a bit jumpy -- it appears to be mostly a two-camera shoot (a stationary camera from behind the audience and a hand-held camera on-stage) -- and the cameramen hardly ever shoots bassist Darryl Jenifer at all. Regardless, Live: CBGB 1982 makes it all the more baffling why the Bad Brains are one of rock's all-time most underrated live acts -- there's simply no comparison between the quartet's performance here and the majority of performances by other rock bands from this era.
    Bad Brains' Live at CBGB 1982 is the audio counterpart to the recently released DVD of the same name, a sight to behold: The Bad Brains at the height of their power, HR shaking hands in the crowd, dancing like a madman, seething and stalking the stage. In the crowd are black folks and white; women and men; old and young; Rasta and otherwise. Vintage CBGB, vintage Bad Brains.The audience for this kind of creaking document is clear: Those who wish they'd been there, those who were and want to look back, and those who just really, really love the Bad Brains. There are those of us who always wanted to believe there was something different about this band, that every show they played was like an army marching to war; that they really did play that fast; that there was so little quit in their sound you could believe the four of them were invincible. And the recording bares witness in spite of (or because of) a soundboard that is, as befits a raging punk rock show, barely functional. Drums are no better than banging on a desk; the bass sounds like the lower half is missing; vocals are barely pronounced, let alone pronounced into a microphone.
    Some contest that Bad Brains were a hardcore band first and a second-rate reggae outfit second; with this release, those people may be in for a surprise. By 1982 the band had already become a full-fledged split personality, equal parts dub-reggae and searing punk rock, and the two sit aside one another with neither explanation nor any real effort to mitigate the shock of the switch. On the DVD, you see the crowd take the band's two heads in stride, but it's jarring. Robert Christgau wrote in the Village Voice in 1986, that, "As a reggae band, they were a hardcore band with a change-up," but that's understating it: Maybe a hardcore band with an eephus pitch?

Check out this site's own archives and you'll find this gem, which says it well: "By the time they released their artistic milestone, I Against I, and reggae influences had spread deeper and deeper into their sound, the Bad Brains had already forgotten more about hardcore than most of their successors would ever learn." Live At CBGB 1982 comes at the dead center turning of the tide, nearly equidistant between the masterpiece hardcore of their debut tape and the nearly full-on reggae of their most accomplished effort in that genre, 1986's I Against I.
    The criminally under-compiled "Supertouch" appears here, three years after being left off their most recent best of; there's no "Pay to Cum", but "Banned in DC" and "Big Takeover" fill that gap. "I And I Survive", "Jah the Conqueror", and "Joshua's Song" step in as Bad Brains dub-reggae at its most evocative. In 1982, HR, their mercurial lyricist, was still looked upon as a prophet and near god, and his proclamations of "Real unity-not just talk about unity" get at the reason why.
    Of course, those lines are also colored by the band's now known future, in which misogyny and alleged-homophobia, demons that dogged HR through clashes with gay hardcore bands, prison officials, and even the Beastie Boys, loom large. Soon "real unity" would be replaced by more esoteric loyalties; peeks at the past are complicated this way. These are not particularly intelligible versions of these songs, nor are they very well recorded. So what we're left with is the raw, screaming moment. And that, for all its discomfort, is best left for the many who would, when transported back in time, be happy to be there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I turn 40 this week, so here's my playlist about getting old.
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4r...Thy3KVYuyND8Xg

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I saw this over the weekend and thought that we leap yeared into a parallel universe.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Kontinuum - an Icelandic progressive metal band. Their debut LP, Earth Blood Magic.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For electronic music enthusiasts...

A2A - A2A¹

Bandcamp:
    https://localactionrecords.bandcamp.com/album/a2a
    Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0gQuC...Q_yG0LGzmJJAJQ
    Last edited by neorev; 03-08-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Can’t seem to get this song out of my head lately: