Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 800 PAIN is good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Longtime fan who once did a four-hundred mile round-trip for a show—drove in, got a snack, saw the band, drove back. I went nuts for Within & Without, really liked the branching out done by Paracosm, dug the mood and some tracks from what I assumed was a small-scope experiment in Mister Mellow, and was excited to see what would come with Purple Noon.

I'm a few listens in and not impressed. It's fine; I don't hate anything. But it's treading dangerously close to drifting across the line from hazy, dreampop stuff into hipster grocery store Muzak. And kinda like someone wearing Dockers with a khaki button-down top, brown belt and Hush Puppies, all ten tracks are a little offensively matchy-matchy. Consistency is one thing. This feels like a bit much. But maybe there's some subtlety I haven't dug up yet. Two spins (at least) to go.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The 30th Anniversary Editions restored the original instrumentation, but the general consensus is that the remasters are average at best (compression). There is a digital 40th Anniversary Edition of Blizzard of Ozz on the way.

The 1995 remasters are still considered the best ones, as far as I know.
    I have also heard that the 1995 remasters are the best ones. I have the 30th anniversary editions and they sound fine to me (they always had a low-fi quality). I'm not so much an audiophile that I feel that I need to buy the '95 CDs from Ebay or Amazon.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post

I mean, you set this up pretty hard. What are those records? The rest of the year looks better than dismal for me, but there's not a lot I know about right now that really excites me—I'm hoping for a new/new to me artist to save the day, which has happened the past few years (Mountain Goats, Snail Mail, Brockhampton, Clairo).
    I don't want to sidetrack the Manson thread about talk about upcoming fall records I am excited about, so I'll split it here.

I know you're not really into the metal/electronic scene as much these days (outside Manson, NIN, Puscifer) so I hardly doubt any of this would be up your alley. But...

The remaining records I am excited about this year are (in no order):

1. Night Club - Die, Die Lullaby (Oct 9th)

2. Priest - Cyberhead (Nov 13th)

3. PUP - This Place Sucks Ass (Oct 23)

4. Amaranthe - Manifest (Oct 2nd)

5. AL1CE - As Above, So Below (TBA)

6. Puscifer - Existential Reckoning (Oct 30th)

7. Smashing Pumpkins -Cyr (Nov 27th)

Mentioned
    420 Post(s)

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Listened to a couple Esperanza Spalding albums today. She's good at what she does but none of it hit me in a way that was higher than "this is pleasant". Which is fine, but it was most of what I listened to today.

Currently listening to the Boghouse themes from the Up Your Cherry release, and before that was "This One". Had a No Doubt feel to it but that was mostly because of the vocal similarity, nothing more.

Please don't ban me.

Spoiler: ;P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Well, I'm excited by the fact that I don't know five out of seven of these performers.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    1. Night Club - Die, Die Lullaby (Oct 9th)
    The song you linked for this is a vibe I can definitely still get down with. If I still worked at the last lounge where I was tending, this would go right on the playlist right now. I have added this album to my own list.

2. Priest - Cyberhead (Nov 13th)
    This song didn't do much for me, but I didn't dislike it. Just a very low-key number that kind of bored me.

3. PUP - This Place Sucks Ass (Oct 23)
    A bit punkier than I usually like, but not in a way that feels like an affectation. If someone put this on, I wouldn't be mad. I probably wouldn't pursue it on my own, though.

4. Amaranthe - Manifest (Oct 2nd)
    Yeah, I hate the dude's vocal style in this. I've never really liked anything that growly because it strikes me as really false. The female lead part in the song makes me think mainstream pop radio. All in all, the mashup of styles here is totally fascinating to me—shit I probably would never have suggested stacking. Ace of Base meets Rammstein meets...I don't have enough reference to fill in the metal band in the trio. Not for me, but wow.

5. AL1CE - As Above, So Below (TBA
    Very goth, very darkwave, but with a very pop chorus. Again not my style, but I could see something else by them really getting me going. It actually kind of reminds me of the vibe of "The Hand That Feeds" but if I didn't hate it.

6. Puscifer - Existential Reckoning (Oct 30th)
    I haven't committed myself to it, but at present, pursuant to my comments in the Puscifer thread, I think this might be the first full-length Puscifer LP I buy.

Unless I suddenly do that thing where I say, "Eh, let's do every other album on my list first."

7. Smashing Pumpkins -Cyr (Nov 27th)
    I can't. I just can't. Siamese Dream and Jane's Addiction's live album introduced me to good music. Pisces is also on my shortlist of favorite albums—no joke: the fucking liner notes of that record influenced the way I think about crafting literature. By the end of the original run, I was pretty disenchanted. The band and I didn't grow in the same direction—which was fine.

Then I tried to get on-board with Zwan. And I gave TheFutureEmbrace a shot. And I read interviews where Billy did that thing he does where you want to put him in a sack with Kanye and throw them both into the river. I keep checking out snippets of singles he/they release and it all just...ugh.

Trent Reznor may never again release a Nine Inch Nails LP that matches the quality I see in Downward Spiral or The Fragile. And I know the glow of my own youth infects those albums, too. But I have never once felt embarrassed for liking them because of something new he puts out. Billy Corgan has, on more than one occasion, made me feel both silly and gross for being so in love with old Smashing Pumpkins with the new stuff he puts out and what he says about it.

Might all be my own hang up. But nope. Sorry. Nope.

Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Pisces is also on my shortlist of favorite albums—no joke: the fucking liner notes of that record influenced the way I think about crafting literature.
    <3 <3 <3 yessssssss

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New Fleet Foxes is out...and it's gorgeous as usual.

I've listened to Can I Believe You on repeat all day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Completely overlooked and forgotten foray into industrial/darkwave from an otherwise forgettable 80's pop band.

The album turns 23 today and it still kills.

https://informationsociety.bandcamp....dont-be-afraid

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Peeping Tom.

I have a love/hate relationship with Mike Patton. The wiki says "Peeping Tom has been called Patton's most mainstream accessible work since his days with Faith No More." and it's not an incorrect assessment. Granted there's still some out-there stuff but it's still way more listenable than some of his more noise-only releases. That said, I really like this one and it's almost in spite of what he is trying to do.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Bob Mould - Blue Hearts

Angry Bob is the best Bob.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The 1995 remasters are still considered the best ones, as far as I know.
    Are they the same ones used for the Ultimate Collection release because to my ears, they sound amazing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Listening to the bonus CD, not the show proper. it's very esoteric until it gets to the live tracks at the end.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Prince - Sign O' the Times (Super Deluxe)