Page 298 of 353 FirstFirst ... 198 248 288 296 297 298 299 300 308 348 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,940 of 10575

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

As per usual with cover albums some of them hew too closely to the original to be anything other than also-ran but there are some good ones. Though to have a band covered on the album and then have that same band performing a cover? ballsy. As far as the ratio of bands I've heard of goes, only two of the performing bands were known to me previously.

You Me At Six performs 30 Seconds to Mars "Kings And Queens". As I mentioned the other day I'm only really cognizant of the band from the songs they had in the Rock Band / Guitar Hero video games. It's OK, but I think I would probably like this version better anyway.

Enter Shikari covers "Chop Suey!" and it starts faithful, breaks into a weird electronic vibe, and then they proceed to put their own spin on it. he best song on the compilation for me, probably helped that the only reason I found out about this is from finding out about the band so I'm a new fan.

Architects cover "Wait And Bleed" from Slipknot. This is the first song that I heard from Slipknot from the Scream 3 soundtrack. Oh those heady days when a soundtrack actually introduced you to bands instead of just promoting up and coming bands. It's not as bombastic as the OG version but still a decent cover, they're pretty good.

Twin Atlantic does passable work for Weezer's "Beverly Hills", definitely safe. Love how prevalent his accent is while singing though, makes the song better.

Neck Deep covers "Juneau" by Funeral For A Friend, who is performing on this comp. It sounds somewhat typical for the genre, doesn't seem to be doing anything new. Then again the original version of the song could be pop punk and they totally changed it up.

Bury Tomorrow does...something...to "Bring Me To Life". Growling vocals on this song is a choice, and I might even come to like it eventually but first blush it is something to get used to.

Lower Than Atlantis performs "Everything Is Alright" by Motion City Soundtrack. Really enjoying this one, though since I don't know either band I can't say if it's because the song is really well written or if it's really well performed. Either way I'm checking out both bands for more.

Funeral For A Friend covers "I Can Climb Mountains" by Hell is for Heroes. Same for this song, and I guess based on this I can make a better-informed guess about whose sound is more prevalent in the Neck Deep cover. Also it sounds like a Pixies song in tone near the end? A very loose sound so only a hint of Pixies.

We Are The Ocean covers "The Pretender" and you know what? If Dave ever loses his voice and cannot tour he's got an option. Wow. The strings added to the song are a good addition, really like their use here.

As It Is covers Paramore's "The Only Exception". Only Paramore I've heard before is the one in Rock Band (or Guitar Hero? after that many games you forget which was where first) and so I'm not familiar with the original. It's a good song though.

The Defiled covers Bring Me the Horizon's "It Never Ends". So is it a Nickelback song in disguise?

Stray From The Path performs the Deftones song "Back To School". Not a Deftones guy, only heard them on the Matrix soundtracks. Like the song after a somewhat rough start but now that I am into it I'm into it.

Hacktivist performs "Rock Superstar" by Cypress Hill. Not a terrible cover, weird to not hear the song with tinny vocals.

Roam covers Nickelback and "Someday". Oh so this is the Nickelback song. At least this time it's on purpose? It sounds somehow better sped up like this?
    I appreciate such an in depth review.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Can't get enough of this album right now.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Wow!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I've been raving about Jaye Jayle (Evan Patterson of Young Widows, Breather Resist and husband/backing band to Emma Ruth Rundle) for a few years now. His new record "Prisyn" (out since last week) is nothing short of amazing, but a great departure in sound compared to his previous outings.
    my copy came in the mail the other day but i haven't had a chance to listen yet. very excited.

i'm so glad he released "an alcoholic bluebird", too. i don't usually love quiet, acoustic-oriented stuff, but i love evan's voice and style so much, and that album is really incredible for being a bunch of (essentially) demos.

i do miss young widows, though. a lot.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Got my clear with black smoke pressing today from Jacob Bannon's website in the mail today.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Believe it or not, I've never listened to the whole thing before. Time to make up for that. Telekon is next.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my copy came in the mail the other day but i haven't had a chance to listen yet. very excited.

i'm so glad he released "an alcoholic bluebird", too. i don't usually love quiet, acoustic-oriented stuff, but i love evan's voice and style so much, and that album is really incredible for being a bunch of (essentially) demos.

i do miss young widows, though. a lot.
    And it definitely saved his ass during the pandemic apparently as he told me how much he made from releasing those two compilations on bandcamp.

Young Widows were crazy good when I saw them live last year. Too bad they probably won't release a new record as I really loved that retrospective that came out two years ago.
    Last edited by dlb; 08-16-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    And it definitely saved his ass during the pandemic apparently as he told me how much he made from releasing those two compilations on bandcamp.

Young Widows were crazy good when I saw them live last year. Too bad they probably won't release a new record as I really loved that retrospective that came out two years ago.
    it's funny because i already owned all of those songs on various releases (though a couple of them had their titles (and lyrics) changed from the original versions, like the songs that were on the split with helms alee) but it was still fun to listen to them all together in reverse chronological order.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, it's pretty dang good.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Underrated

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

jaye jayle • prisyn

holy fucking shit. evan was definitely inspired by touring with daughters, but also there are so many lovely electronic elements to this. after how much i loved "an alcoholic bluebird" (the acoustic demo he recorded & released in quarantine, only available on bandcamp for like a week) despite not always liking acoustic albums, i was worried i wasn't going to like this. boy, was i wrong.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

In the mood.

*glances to new avatar in over 2 years*

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oddly enough the video isn't as funny as I thought it'd be. I heard the song while walking back to work just now and was like "I have to share" because I was laughing so hard.

maybe it's only funny the first time when it catches you off-guard?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Podcast counts, i guess...

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

jaye jayle • prisyn

holy fucking shit. evan was definitely inspired by touring with daughters, but also there are so many lovely electronic elements to this. after how much i loved "an alcoholic bluebird" (the acoustic demo he recorded & released in quarantine, only available on bandcamp for like a week) despite not always liking acoustic albums, i was worried i wasn't going to like this. boy, was i wrong.
    Glad you enjoy it! I've spoken to many people who were expecting a "no trail" pt. 2 (me included), that actually cancelled their pre-orders after the first two singles... It's of course vastly different and personally I would have released it under his own name to avoid confused fans, but it's among his finest works. Lots of inspiration from NC & the Birthdayparty, Crime and the City Solution as well as DAF and more modern artists like Portishead, Massive Attack or recent Lanegan. Very fond of this record! It's not an easy listen and requires some "work", but I dig it and he will return to his more signature sound soon either way.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Given the recent Batman hype I've always loved this song and just now discovered this version. Love it!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I've decided that prog isn't where it is for me. This sounds like a slightly-more-well-done 8-bit Nintendo game soundtrack, especially the covers at the end.