46 Post(s)
    Some guilty pleasure leftovers from my long gone anime fandom days

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Only took me [checks watch] sixteen years to finally get around to buying and listening to one of the most legendary hip hop albums of all-time, Madvillainy by Madvillain—MF Doom and Madlib. It's actually somehow better than I expected. If you're able and inclined, I actually suggest it on vinyl since it was clearly designed for vinyl play.

Low-key, chill, smooth, retro. Fucking fantastic.

And clearly a source of inspiration for the 2006 Cartoon Network project The Mouse & the Mask, by Dangerdoom—MF Doom and Danger Mouse—a record which I received as a gift in 2007, have never really quit spinning, and which is roughly 36,000 times better than any album inspired by and occasionally featuring Aqua Teen Hunger Force​ should be.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Only took me [checks watch] sixteen years to finally get around to buying and listening to one of the most legendary hip hop albums of all-time, Madvillainy by Madvillain—MF Doom and Madlib. It's actually somehow better than I expected. If you're able and inclined, I actually suggest it on vinyl since it was clearly designed for vinyl play.

Madvillainy contains my favorite Doom Lyric:

"Couldn't find a pen, had to think of a new trick.
    This one he wrote in cold blood with a toothpick."

Have you checked out the "Vaudeville Villain" album? Doom was on another level in those years...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Madvillainy contains my favorite Doom Lyric:

"Couldn't find a pen, had to think of a new trick.
    This one he wrote in cold blood with a toothpick."

Have you checked out the "Vaudeville Villain" album? Doom was on another level in those years...
    Weirdly, I'm only familiar with him from the Special Herbs series and Mouse & the Mask. I already know how ridiculous that is, academically. I look forward to seeing how ridiculous it is when I actually check out the LPs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

A vaporwave classic ... finally getting a vinyl pressing next month too!

And clearly a source of inspiration for the 2006 Cartoon Network project The Mouse & the Mask, by Dangerdoom—MF Doom and Danger Mouse—a record which I received as a gift in 2007, have never really quit spinning, and which is roughly 36,000 times better than any album inspired by and occasionally featuring Aqua Teen Hunger Force​ should be.
    Easily one of hip-hop and rap's greatest albums ever.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Weirdly, I'm only familiar with him from the Special Herbs series and Mouse & the Mask. I already know how ridiculous that is, academically. I look forward to seeing how ridiculous it is when I actually check out the LPs.
    also check out more of Madlib's stuff. he did a remix album of old blue note jazz songs for the label in 2003 that i played incessantly when i worked in the B&N music department. and even pitchfork liked it a lot! that's what introduced me to him. guy's incredible.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yeah, Madlib is great! I love his album Angels Without Edges under his Yesterday's New Quintet moniker. It's like a jazz ensemble but with every instrument played by Madlib himself.

Also the Quasimoto albums are fantastic, where he raps in a pitched up voice over self produced beats.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Man, you're in for a treat. On Vaudeville Villain Doom raps under the alias Viktor Vaughn playing a villain from the future that got send back in time to (then) present New York starting a rap career there while doing all kinds of villainous stuff. Approapriately the production is more electronic and glitchy on this one. Another great lyric from that album: "There's four sides to every story / but if these walls could talk they'd probably still ignore me."

In the same year Doom did Madvillainy he also put out a solo album, his second, called Mm.. Food:

Also, excuse me for some shameless self promotion: Spoiler: A couple of years back when I was still doing Rap beats just for fun I put together a little remix album with all of Dooms acapellas I could get. I put them on instrumentals I produced using only the 909 drum machine with samples from an old Fantastic Four cartoon. It sounds kinda trashy, but if you'd like to take a listen, go here: here: https://krekpek.bandcamp.com/album/m...nhat-opera-rmx

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I’ve actually heard for years that Mm...Food is his best solo record, but I just found out it was hot on the heels of Madvillain. Must’ve been on some shit that year—can you imagine a hot streak like that?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Can't wait to get home and see what's here.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    This conversation about MF DOOM is making me smile, as I was listening to NehruvianDoom with a friend earlier today (which also features a Madvillain production!). However, after he left, these were my jams for the rest of the day:

Deerhunter - Fluorescent Grey, for old times' sake. What do you mean "this is 13 years old"? Fuck me.

I had forgotten how great this album is. Loud, hazy and beautiful.

65daysofstatic - replicr, 2019. Good music.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete. Many wannabe "expert knob twiddlers" have tried to sound like Aphex Twin, usually by imitating his rhythmic ruthlessness, ambient grandeur and lo-fi sensibilities. But Daniel is one of the few people who have actually reached his level of raw, fearless experimentalism.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Fluorescent Grey is spectacular, @wizfan !

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Here's what I commented on about this song:
    One of my favorite songs of all time. To me, it's the sound of the Earth dying in the first half, and then the silence of floating in space in the 2nd half. Years ago, I let my grandfather listen to this song. He grew up with blues music. He used to say some blues music was like "the guitar was crying" . I said, "if you want to hear what that sounds like, listen to this" . He was amazed and said "wow, this is what the modern day blues sounds like to me" .

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    How do you feel about original vs. the remix? I feel like they almost got it with the remix as to their direction but they went too safe on the next album.

Side note: I just realized it sounds like they got Rob Dougan to help on the track, it sounds a lot like his sound.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    How do you feel about original vs. the remix? I feel like they almost got it with the remix as to their direction but they went too safe on the next album.

Side note: I just realized it sounds like they got Rob Dougan to help on the track, it sounds a lot like his sound.
    Apparently I did post the remix. Oops. Was listening to the original.

Anyhow, I enjoy the remix (most of them, really) but prefer the original. Aside from the fact that the vocals are a little too high in the mix for my taste, the production on Razorblade Suitcase is outstanding so it has a lot to do with my enjoyment of the tracks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I didn't like this song at first, now I love it. I think the new album is supposed to come out today and I can't wait. He recently released a live Final album for free too. And has a JK Flesh album coming out this week too I believe. He's on fire lately.