Page 252 of 352 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,560 of 10551

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Need a clip of this for a spot I produced at work. It's stuck in my head, and now yours too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

My favorite TON album and one of my favorite albums of all time.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Sarah K i think you would like this. @kleiner . @bobbie solo perhaps.

It's another just utterly beautiful project from this young woman (who appeared on Lost on Chance the Rapper's Acidrap.)

She started out as a poet and it REALLY shows.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm seeing Glenn Hughes tonight, so I've been catching up on his three albums with Deep Purple (which is what he's playing tonight).

Also bought Pulse by Pink Floyd and want to listen to it soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

My favorite dark ambient artist.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Blis - No One Loves You

Hey, Sargent House signed an honest-to-god emo band. Actually, that last bit says nothing, about Blis and the work they are doing. They deserve better, but I do not have a ton to say about this record, besides that I like it, a lot. There's actually a fair bit happening here, but my head keeps generating generic statements about how fourth-wave emo seems to one of the few places were exciting new distorted guitar music is coming from.

This band definitely carves out their own identity within that scene, and there's realistically plenty to talk about. The thematic concerns of this record, are I suppose narrow, but they do not need to be broader. To the extent that "of being a concept album" is a feeling, No One Loves You occasionally arrives there because it is so focused on a couple of things that are articulated and explored again and again.

I know emo kids, this record is not that big with them. I want to idly speculate because this is because this album is closer to an alt-rock kid's platonic ideal of an emo record, than an actual emo kid's platonic ideal of an emo record.

Does that last statement mean a goddamn thing? Maybe not.

Dreamers - Screws

I can just throw a single in here, right? Anyway, the instrumental hook on this slays me, I fucking love that sound... I have made my peace with what commercial, mainstream, rock music is at this moment in time, enough to enjoy some of it. Though I can still tell when I hear something that would likely have cracked through the - let's say pretensions - of my younger self with it's musicality. This is one of those tracks, and Dreamers seems to be navigated the modern radio rock sonic landscape with more adroitness than their peers that get more play.

Now, this statement isn't really anything, and I won't defend it: but they feel like they know that they are indie-pop-rock band in a deeper way than their peers. Like they actually conceptualize this space as a distinct aesthetic moment that can be explored and played with, instead of just the way things are. Though they are not doing high-concept stuff in this space, they are still just writing pop songs: which is great.

Danger - 太鼓

Do I actually have anything to say about these records I feel like I can really and truly stand behind? Not without spending much more time thinking about them.

That acknowledged: this is probably one of the more texturally diverse and divergent EDM records I have heard. That's EDM as in post-Skrillex, post-Avicii Post-Deadmau5 EDM, not "credible" electronic dance music. I would say next record here is the latter, but there is still straight-up EDM stuff I like. Though what puts this in the EDM category might have more to do with the "scene" Danger is came up in and certain narrow set of production choices than a broader aesthetic alignment. Whatever, genre is nonsense1, and I just wrote about how I am not going to put too much time into dissecting any of this.

I think "cinematic" is dubious adjective to apply to music in general, since, among other things the requirements of film score are actually extremely specific and the idea of being able to write something that will supposedly "fit to picture"2 without actually doing the literal thing I think is hubris. Scoring for film is often brutal, and I think people sometimes underestimate how hard it is. Now, let me end this tangent by saying that the use of textures and various synth patches across this record to give it a narrative sense. I really do feel like I am moving from A to B to C, and I am not just talking about verse here. In that way, this record actually does something for me that a lot of records aspire to, or at least claim to aspire to what is essentially their ad copy. I get the feeling of a narrative experience, even though in this case I would say it's not really one.

Not a lot of people seem to be able to actually manage this, I would say Johnny Jewel and his collaborators are some others. This record maybe feels like a distant relation of his work even if I would not recommend it on that basis.

Barker - Debiasing

This techno EP really surprised me. The Resident Advisor review of this highlights that this record has no kick drums, which I did not even think about being a big deal when I listened to it for the first time until the last track. Because that choice, to not have kick drums, does not feel like some intellectualized high-concept choice here, because every choice that I can actually hear being made just sounds like good songwriting. The arrangements here are all so slick even without conventional drums.

feel like I need to come back and study this EP for my own work.

1. Ha, and yet I opened all this by mentioning emo as distinct type of music
    2. This is what we say, but really a range of stuff has to happen here, more than what I think the saying seems to imply
    Last edited by Alabaster Creature; 09-20-2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: one of the sentence I wrote was like actually nonsense cause of the grammar, now it's not so much anymore

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Alabaster Creature , what song should I try from the Barker album?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Alabaster Creature , what song should I try from the Barker album?
    At four songs long, you can probably get through the entire thing pretty quickly, but I would highlight Look How Hard I've Tried.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Badass song.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I love SeeSaw

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm just in love with Das Racist/Kool AD/Lakutis lately. This is a damn good primer on what they have to offer with their strange blend of... Hell, idk? Comedic punk art rap? Idk WHAT in the fuck to call these guys.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Brandy - When You Touch Me

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    I love SeeSaw
    It's among my favorites along with "Stranger in a Room" and "Loud Places"

On topic:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Madonna - The Power of Good-bye

maybe my favorite album, or at least one of my favorites ever

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    every once on a while the ole genius playlist is OK here for a change is a good one
    slow marimbas( live) peter Gabriel
    America Paul Simon
    three days Jane's addiction
    so central rain REM
    lifetime piling up talking heads
    flowers of romance public image itd
    girl from ipmanema goes to Greenland b-52's
    derelict beck
    where do the children play cat Stevens
    the sign of fire the fixx
    o' green world gorillaz
    cult of personality (live)