Page 170 of 354 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 220 270 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 10594

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Every man is happy until happiness is suddenly a goal

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    after watching her completely steal the show at FYF, I've been listening to the Anohni (formerly Antony and the Johnsons) album "Hopelessness"

this wasn't the highlight, but it seems hard to find any other videos due to spam flooding of the search returns by the festival

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    My ultimate go-to headphones song then I need to shut up all the chatter and laughter at the workplace and need to focus, goddamnit

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)

i have utterly ADORED this album since i was like 12. it was playing on my first date.

but good GOD dude's live performances are fucking STRRRAAANNNGE, like maybe he took too much?
    Anyway, all these years later, i've been trying to form an opinion of the live shows these past few days.

I think i like it, but goddamn, i never realized that Adam Duritz was so fucking like disturbed and angry.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Was never a huge fan of this album but why not? I needed some Skincarver @Ryan

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I love that record. HellMask is a bit shit though.

Black Angel, White Angel is an amazing album closer.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

converge - you fail me

the title track of this album is just amazing. every time i hear it, i get covered in goosebumps. extremely cathartic. i love music that can be so dissonant/harsh and yet so beautiful.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

This band is amazing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My favourite Aphex Twin remix.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    everyone should check out the album "Still Breathing" by Robert Elster (of Vibrasphere), amazing Trance album

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post

This band is amazing.
    uh, holy shit, yeah.

apparently there's a DIFFERENT band named Rollo Tomasi (two Ls, one S) from chicago who play somewhat similar music i guess, but haven't put out an album since 2010. it was confusing looking this band up on wikipedia. haha.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Dave Matthews Band - Ants Marching

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

...pretty much all their albums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this girl came in to say hi to my tattoo artist the other night while i was almost done getting my newest tattoo. today, he sent me one of her music videos and was like "this is the girl who stopped in the other night. told you her voice was amazing." and god damn, is he right.

plus, the video is freakin' adorable.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

What can I say?

This is a masterpiece.

Ben Gibbard at the top of his lyrical game (for the most part), beautiful melodies, incredible rushes of drum machines and synths, potent and powerful, poignant and memorable. It's just an amazing record. One of the few instances where I'm happy a project never released more than one album, just because they got it so right on the first that a follow-up could've only diluted the magic.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Nothing Better, Clark Gable, This Place Is a Prison (and, holy fuck -- if you've ever felt trapped in a nightmare of a town or city and found yourself drinking and snorting that pain away, this song will ruin you), Brand New Colony -- it's just loaded front to back with heavy-hitters. I love it so much. It's maybe not ETS royalty in terms of albums, but fuck it -- it's amazing. If you can't see it as more than "hipster electronica" or whatever, you're missing the fuck out. It's possible I found it at the right age at the right time -- but years later it still means just as much to me, if not even more, and I can't say the same about much I got into when I was a lot younger. Just wonderful stuff.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Freddie Mercury would have been 70 today

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

...pretty much all their albums
    Made me listen

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Made me listen
    "Melkiora" it's so good!, i think it's my favorite from them... (But i like them all!)

On topic:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "Melkiora" it's so good!, i think it's my favorite from them... (But i like them all!)

On topic:

Do you like their Waiting for the Night cover? How odd you have DM after Ghost posting haha.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Do you like their Waiting for the Night cover? How odd you have DM after Ghost posting haha.
    Oh yeah, i love that cover (the whole "If you have Ghost", EP actually...), they did a great work with the DM song and made it so epic!
    Unsurprisingly i've been on a Depeche Mode/Ghost phase, don't ask me why, i just think those two bands get along really good!

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

What can I say?

This is a masterpiece.

Ben Gibbard at the top of his lyrical game (for the most part), beautiful melodies, incredible rushes of drum machines and synths, potent and powerful, poignant and memorable. It's just an amazing record. One of the few instances where I'm happy a project never released more than one album, just because they got it so right on the first that a follow-up could've only diluted the magic.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Nothing Better, Clark Gable, This Place Is a Prison (and, holy fuck -- if you've ever felt trapped in a nightmare of a town or city and found yourself drinking and snorting that pain away, this song will ruin you), Brand New Colony -- it's just loaded front to back with heavy-hitters. I love it so much. It's maybe not ETS royalty in terms of albums, but fuck it -- it's amazing. If you can't see it as more than "hipster electronica" or whatever, you're missing the fuck out. It's possible I found it at the right age at the right time -- but years later it still means just as much to me, if not even more, and I can't say the same about much I got into when I was a lot younger. Just wonderful stuff.
    Whenever someone tells me they really love The Postal Service, I impulsively ask if they've heard Notwist's Neon Golden... not because I believe that it's "better" or something, but because I feel like it's borderline impossible for someone who loves Give Up to not also love Neon Golden. I may be wrong about that, though... There's a lot of aspects that I appreciate about The Postal Service, but Ben's voice just kind of bothers me. Wish it didn't. For some reason, the only thing that I've heard him sing on that I like is the first Death Cab album.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-05-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Whenever someone tells me they really love The Postal Service, I impulsively ask if they've heard Notwist's Neon Golden... not because I believe that it's "better" or something, but because I feel like it's borderline impossible for someone who loves Give Up to not also love Neon Golden. I may be wrong about that, though... There's a lot of aspects that I appreciate about The Postal Service, but Ben's voice just kind of bothers me. Wish it didn't. For some reason, the only thing that I've heard him sing on that I like is the first Death Cab album.
    I've never heard it, but will be giving it a spin this evening -- thanks a ton for the recommendation.

I've always loved Ben's style for the most part, but I know how it is when you can't stand a lead vocalist. It can be pretty impossible to click with anything. Just curious -- ever listen to DCFC's We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes? His vocal style there is very similar to Something About Airplanes and both have his voice a bit lower in the mix than on later releases. I wanna say @eversonpoe and I have dorked out over it here before.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I didn't mind the vocals on We Have the Facts, but the album didn't do much for me. I did like Something About Airplanes though

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I've never heard it, but will be giving it a spin this evening -- thanks a ton for the recommendation.

I've always loved Ben's style for the most part, but I know how it is when you can't stand a lead vocalist. It can be pretty impossible to click with anything. Just curious -- ever listen to DCFC's We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes? His vocal style there is very similar to Something About Airplanes and both have his voice a bit lower in the mix than on later releases. I wanna say @eversonpoe and I have dorked out over it here before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I didn't mind the vocals on We Have the Facts, but the album didn't do much for me. I did like Something About Airplanes though
    yeah, "we have the facts" is my fav death cab album, followed by "something about airplanes"

and yes, kleiner, definitely check out Neon Golden. mood-wise, it's definitely less hopeful than Give Up (ironic, eh?), but it's absolutely gorgeous.

my favorite Notwist song, though, has to be "where in this world"