Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 60s girl group greats

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

60s girl group greats

ok, so a 180 from the one i just made about ebm/new beat, here's another genre thread about another favorite musical genre- the 1960s girl groups. not limited to, but also including a lot of motown, many of these groups were assembled by cutting edge producers as pet projects for their increasingly great studio techniques (see phil spector) and the songs were often penned by pro writers (meaning many of them tackled the same songs), but they're some of the best sounds of the era, and in general.

(hello portishead)

i could go on about this stuff for days...
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 10-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just wanted to say that I love the Shangri-Las song "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - when I get a chance, I'm definitely gonna check out some of the above!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    yeah, the shangri-las were IMMENSE and easily my favorite. the seagulls on that track never fail to squick me out in the best way possible. you'd definitely like the goodees and the whyte boots tracks i posted above then... they were totally jocking that same sense of melancholy and drama, complete with sirens wailing/bizarre backing noises. and definitely try that last one- by the bittersweets. a friend of mine said he played that for geoff of portishead (who was unfamiliar with it at the time) and he was shocked that someone pretty much created the portishead sound 30 years prior...

basically, if you're looking to get into this stuff, get a shangri-las collection, the phil spector boxset, and THIS whopper of a box, which collects some of the best (and most obscure!) in the genre:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "Be My Baby" and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" are two of the greatest songs ever written.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post

(hello portishead)
    This. Is awesome.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    one post in the shitty music thread. off on a binge again. these are also favorites:

^a little more "country" than most, but still wonderful.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 10-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    @frankie teardrop , have you ever caught this cover?

also, for those of you into '60s girl groups in general, there's a band called Broadcast on Warp Records that does a great job, in my opinion, of channeling that vibe.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    yeah, i was into rasputina in my gothier days, and i definitely love that cover!

i'm very new to broadcast, but i love what i hear. i feel like they're pretty much the mix of glitchy, delicate electronica, ethereal-esque 4ad & girl pop, so that works especially well for me.