Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogwai

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Damn, you beat me up to it, i checked yesterday and it was clear...

I remember when weekends used to be for being lazy *sigh*

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This is a pretty kickass TempRes release. Super excited to hear.

A pic for those that don't feel like looking on the site.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-08-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: bad link

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Wasn't sure if this was posted any else buuuut... Stuart has a hand in Minor Victories, which also features Slowdive's Rachel Goswell, the Editors' Justin Lockey, & James Lockey (who I presume is a relative of Justin?)

Album is due June 3rd
    Last edited by Soma; 02-22-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    Wasn't sure if this was posted any else buuuut... Stuart has a hand in Minor Victories, which also features Slowdive's Rachel Goswell, the Editors' Justin Lockey, & James Lockey (who I presume is a relative of Justin?)

Album is due June 3rd
    i just found out about that this morning and now i'm watching the video/listening to the song and HOLY FUCK, DUDE. this is exactly the kind of music i'm working on trying to MAKE right now, so i'm super excited for this.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    FYI. Drip drip

and uhmmm...this soundtrack is fucking AMAZING. So good!!

Favorite tracks so far are: no order

Bitterness Centrifuge
    U-235
    Weak Force
    Little Boy
    Fat Man (that ending though)

Pripyat is really good as well. NOISY! But great

All in all I give this a 4/5. To me it feels like the instrumental ONLY b-sides to Rave Tapes. (this is NOT a bad thing)

Having not seen the film but knowing the subject matter though, completely makes this record. It is haunting, loud, dirty and a slightly new-ish sound for Mogwai.

If you are looking for Les Revenants part II, this is not it...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Dammit ...bad time to be on vacation and not having my personal computer around...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Shit - I knew there was a new record I still needed to get - the latest Mogwai.

Anyway - a touch off topic, but I'm not sure it's worth starting a new thread for, it seems Arab Strap are reforming. I've not followed Aidan's career since the break-up, but I've enjoyed Malcolm's work ever since. Very surprised to see them back, but I shan't complain if there's new music, and a full UK tour (just like the old days) would be wonderful.

There's a website here: http://arabstrap.scot/ and they're due to appear on the radio shortly here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07g7hnj

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It was already reported on the "Before the Flood" thread but here is the article for anyone that cares:

Trent Reznor + Mogwai + Gustavo Santaolalla will score Climate change film "Before the flood"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Is Central Belters a good starting point for a new Mogwai listener?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is Central Belters a good starting point for a new Mogwai listener?
    I would say it is.
    It resumes most of their career and it has some of their most representative tracks like "Mogwai fears Satan", "Christmas Steps", "2 rights...", "Friend of the Night", etc...

If you want a start with an studio album "Come On Die Young" or "Happy Songs for happy people" are great to begin with...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's hard to know where to start for a new listener, and everybody has their own favourites of course, but I was very impressed with this live recording from 2011:

The actual video quality isn't as high as it could be, and naturally the material covered is weighted towards that year's Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will album, but it's a fantastic performance and gives a nice flavour of the band, I think.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Just be sure to turn the volume all the way up when you listen to Like Herod... It's super quiet for some reason.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Just be sure to turn the volume all the way up when you listen to Like Herod... It's super quiet for some reason.
    hahahahaha so mean
    @jmtd i can't remember where i first started with mogwai, but i think "the hawk is howling" would be a good introductory album. it has all of their flavors (except the occasional vocals, of which there are none on that album) and is just really fucking good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks all. I'm not 100% new as I've skimmed over Atomic and I saw them live in 2015 at the BBC 6 Music Festival (which was awesome).

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Today i heard the "EP + 6" compilation on my way to work and it was glorious!

Also a good album to start with Mogwai, in my opinion

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    New album: "Every Country's Sun"; Out 1st of September 2017

New single; "Coolverine" (best name ever!)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    New album: "Every Country's Sun"; Out 1st of September 2017

New single; "Coolverine" (best name ever!)

absolutely gorgeous! don't think i'll go with the special edition this time, even though it's nice and cheap. trying to be better about budgeting :/

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    absolutely gorgeous! don't think i'll go with the special edition this time, even though it's nice and cheap. trying to be better about budgeting :/
    Yeah, special edition looks great, but i don't think i'll be picking it up; i already pre-ordered the Deluxe version for the new Steven Wilson album and there's only much i can buy this year...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can't believe these guys are still going so strong. I like some records more than others, of course, and actually Rave Tapes isn't amongst my favourites, but yeah, new track is sounding pretty good.

One thing though - what's with the tours these days? Fair enough if they're just not that into it, but the current tour schedule shows three UK dates - one festival show in Wales, and then it's just Glasgow and London. The last time I saw them was down the coast in Bexhill, but that was still a fair treck, and I think that was a warm-up gig for a few larger shows. I dunno - just seems a bit unusual for a UK band who aren't *that* big to play so little here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So looks like Trent's bad habits rubbed off on Mogwai after doing Before The Flood -

via twitter.com/mogwaiband

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    lol, i hope this is a "Year Zero, soon" and not a "tension DVD, soon"

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So, it really came "soon":

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw them at Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona last week. They were a last minute surprise act. The show was pretty good and they had a lot of people watching...

I don't know much of there music but will need to check them out more.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Drip... drip...

stay tuned...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I listened a couple of times now and i really like this album.

In a way it's a continuation of "Rave Tapes", but it also has "vocals-mogwai" similar to "Teenage Exorcists" (Party in the Dark), and "noisy Mogwai", but most of the album is more upbeat and a bit reflexive; it reminded me to "Rock Action" and "Young Team" at moments...

Here's the Uk-Us tour-dates in case anyone cares

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Listened to the leak and really hoping it is just a terrible copy. So overly distorted. Threw "Crossing the Road Material" into Audacity and the whole 2nd half is hitting red. Maybe it is the effect they wanted but not digging it. Multiple tracks sound like they just ramped up the loudness for loudness sake.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The leak i downloaded sounded good to me; actually it has good quality all things considered.

"Crossing the Road" has some distorted moments in the same vein as "Mogwai fears Satan" and it's meant to be loud (just like they like), but it's not invasive in the version i have.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listening to the new album, and it's FINE, but nothing on it really sticks out to me. i've loved pretty much everything they've ever put out, but this is their first album that hasn't really spoken to me. nothing on it is making me feel much of anything (whereas, for example, rave tapes had a really strong emotional resonance for me) and that's always one of the most disappointing things that can happen with a band i like. it's also weird because the pieces they did for Before The Flood were INCREDIBLE, so i know they still have the ability to hit me where it counts. this album just totally misses the mark.