Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogwai

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Im going to get flamed, but i'll admit i did not know this awesome cover of "Punk Rock/Cody" by Deafheaven, holy shit!!!

Don't know how I missed this post. Deafheaven is great and this is a fantastic cover.

Would be so great to go to one of those Zidane performances.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I was checking Mogwai's Instagram and apparently they are currently recording a new album on the infamous "Castle of Doom", can't wait, hope it gets released by November or December, please?

http://instagram.com/p/col62wxMY_/
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-28-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oh nice had no idea they were recording a new album. I thought I read somewhere that they were just doing a new EP or something. I think the best we can hope for is a December release at this point, but January seems likely since they are starting to announce shows around then.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    New studio album: "Rave Tapes"

We're pleased to finally be able to share the details of our new studio album with you. It's called Rave Tapes and is scheduled for release on 20th January via our own Rock Action Records label for the UK & EU, Sub Pop in North America, Hostess in Japan and Spunk Records in Australia.
    Rave Tapes was recorded in our Castle of Doom studio in Glasgow this year and was produced by Paul Savage with whom we've worked on the Mogwai Young Team and Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will records.

The album will be available on CD, LP, Digital and Ltd edition box set (featuring the LP itself, an exclusive 12", a book of studio photography by iconic photographer Steve Gullick shot during the recording sessions, 3 x 12" x 12" art prints, a 7" and a CD version of the album).

The tracklist is as follows:
    1. Heard About You Last night
    2. Simon Ferocious
    3. Remurdered
    4. Hexon Bogon
    5. Repelish
    6. Master Card
    7. Deesh
    8. Blues Hour
    9. No Medicine For Regret
    10. The Lord Is Out Of Control

...listen to "Remurdered" here: http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2013/10/...um-rave-tapes/

Great day!!!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Fuuuck. "Remurdered" is awesome. I really can't wait to hear what the rest of the album's like!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This track is great. I love that Mogwai is changing it up once again.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Since "Happy songs..." i'm always thinking: "these guys have given everything, i don't think the can surprise me anymore", and they have been proving me wrong ever since...

Now i know why they are one of my favorite bands...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Also, I just saw that "Remurdered" is a free download from their site. COME 'N GIT IT!

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    you can bet your ass i'm getting the limited edition box set. i got the one for special moves & the one for hardcore will never die, and both are fantastic. i love that they offer affordable limited edition stuff that's so fantastic.

also, this song is amazing. my fiancee actually asked if it was me (super duper flattered!!!) and i was like "it's the new mogwai" and she was like "sounds like they've been listening to your stuff!"

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, this song is amazing. my fiancee actually asked if it was me (super duper flattered!!!) and i was like "it's the new mogwai" and she was like "sounds like they've been listening to your stuff!"
    Hell of a compliment! would love to hear your work!

I'm also getting the ltd box, it will be expensive to ship, still it's worth it!

For some reason the cover art reminds me to Jodorowsky's "Holy Mountain", maybe i'm crazy but it gives me that impression:

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This might interest you guys:

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR: Following the announcement of their new studio album 'Rave Tapes' and the preview track 'Remurdered' last week (which you can hear via the link below), Mogwai have announced an extensive North American tour for April/May 2014.

Tour dates are listed below, on-sale details and ticket links to follow:

April

21 April - Sunshine Theatre, Albuquerque, NM

22 April - Tricky Falls, El Paso, TX

23 April - Granada Theater, Dallas, TX

24 April - Emo's, Austin, TX

25 April - Fitzgerald's, Houston, TX

26 April - Varsity Theatre, Baton Rouge, LA

27 April - Civic Theatre New Orleans, LA

29 April - Grand Central, Miami, FL

30 April - The Ritz Ybor, Tampa, FL

May

1 May - The Beacham Theatre, Orlando FL

3 May - Exit In, Nashville TN

6 May - Amos' Southend, Charlotte NC

7 May - 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

8 May - Union Transfer, Philadelphia, PA

9 May - Terminal 5, New York, NY

10 May - House of Blues, Boston, MA

11 May - Metropolis, Montreal, QC

13 May - Danforth Music Hall, Toronto, ON

14 May - House of Blues, Cleveland, OH

15 May - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit, MI

16 May - The Vic Theatre. Chicago, IL

17 May - Wooly's, Des Moines, IA

18 May - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

20 May - Ogden Theatre, Denver, CO

21 May - The Depot, Salt Lake City, UT

24 May - Roseland Theatre, Portland, OR

25 May - Vogue Theatre Vancouver, BC

...hoping for a Mexico Date, hopefully soon!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    And a California date! Need to see these guys once again!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh man! I seriously need to catch them on this tour. They're gonna be in Colorado the day after my birthday, which is fucking perfect! Yesss!!!

I love this band so damn much.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ordered my copy of the Rave Tapes box set (now available to US buyers through sub pop) limited to only 500 copies (i'm not sure if that means worldwide or just the ones from sub pop).

the USPS shipping was going to be $18 which is RIDICULOUS because two of the three UPS options are less than $9. i do not understand shipping calculations.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I haven't ordered the box set, i'm waiting for my local Vinyl shop to bring it, the shipping is ridiculous and i prefer the store to absorb it and buying the album from them... still, i'm downloading it too! so i could comment it with you guys...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I haven't ordered the box set, i'm waiting for my local Vinyl shop to bring it, the shipping is ridiculous and i prefer the store to absorb it and buying the album from them... still, i'm downloading it too! so i could comment it with you guys...
    i don't know how many local shops are going to end up with the box set. like i said, it's pretty limited in quantity. you'll probably be able to get the standard vinyl version, though.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't know how many local shops are going to end up with the box set. like i said, it's pretty limited in quantity. you'll probably be able to get the standard vinyl version, though.
    Oh, this Vinyl shop brings all these kind of stuff, they take orders and specialize in rare boxsets, i got from them the limited edition of (Queens of the Stone Age's) "Like Clockwork", as long as i mention the item and pay half of the preorder to them, they can get it with no problem... (this reminds me: i have to visit them today after work...)

Off Topic: i found this cool Berlin concert, i'm playing the shit out of it when the office gets empty, mwahahahahaha...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Cool article about Rave Tapes album cover:

Rave Tapes is the fifth release designer Dave Thomas has worked on for Glasgow band Mogwai. The band usually have a photograph or film still in mind for artwork, he says, but for Rave Tapes, they were looking for something more graphic.

“It started with a few members sending me things that they liked visually as inspiration,” explains Thomas. Suggested visuals included old sci-fi illustrations and films – in particular, Phase IV, which was directed by Saul Bass. “Of course, that source material has been used a lot, so it was about [using it] in a way that the band felt was personal to them and represented their ideas,” he adds.
    Thomas looked to the recurring shapes and motifs in 1960s and 70s sci-fi films - such as octagons - and when he discovered the album would be named Rave Tapes, began researching the design of analogue reel to reel tape boxes and diagrams of wave forms.

“I started to play with illustrations that took those shapes as a starting point and went back to the band with a number of designs, ranging from straight geometric patterns to something more illustrative and maybe inspired by a loose psychedelic of semi-abstract direction,” he says. “Initially I saw it all as very much a monotone world that the imagery existed in, but the band felt that having something more colourful would capture the mood of the album more."
    Thomas worked with each member of Mogwai on the artwork - which he says is unusual for a band but "allows the design to go in interesting directions that otherwise might not have been taken".

He has created a series of designs to work alongside the central image - both the CD and LP versions come with a die cut in the front cover and interchangeable inserts which can be swapped to change the eye motif on the cover. A limited edition including a set of three art prints, a 7" laser etched disc, a pink 12" vinyl and a book of photographs taken by Steve Gullick while the band were recording the album will also be released in January.
    Full article over here

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The lord is out of control...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Can't wait for this album. Have really enjoyed the first two tracks so far. Still holding out hope for a California date next May

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Drip drip.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Drip drip.
    already downloading... be back in a few min...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    beautiful album! the first track reminded me to (Aphex Twin's) "Selected Ambient Works", the songs sound "familiar" yet new, it full of beautiful sounds and landscapes a cross between CODY and "Hardcore will never die...", gotta listen to it more, but it really left a very good first impression with me!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 12-20-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: No Medicine For Regret

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I loved the first track. I'm really digging this album. I dig the change in direction...if I didn't know it was Mogwai, I probably wouldn't have guessed it was them. But at the same time, there is a sense of familiarity.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    It seems the "special Rave Tapes boxset" is sold out, congratulations to anyone that picked it up!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I just got tix for their Edinburgh show in March. I'm pleased.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Ah, sounds like they are eschewing any California dates in favor of Coachella. It's still early enough that they could add a San Francisco date, but I'm not holding my breath. Really want to hear these new songs live.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Exclusive album stream with Stuart's introduction:

"Hello people. Welcome to the stream of our forthcoming album Rave Tapes. We wrote and recorded the record last year, starting writing in January and finishing mixing just before Halloween. It was written between our scabby, rat-infested rehearsal space in the Gorbals Glasgow, mine and John's home studios and Barry's practice space in Berlin. Before going in to record in our Castle Of Doom studio in Glasgow (neither scabby nor rat infested, thankfully) we rehearsed together for a few weeks to work on arrangements.

The album was recorded by Paul Savage who we worked on for our early single Summer as well as our first record Mogwai Young Team and our most recent Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. Paul was also a member of The Delgados, the owners of Chemikal Undergound Records who released our first two records. He's a great guy and very good at keeping us in check. That said I'm still pissed off at him for taping over the original 22 minute take of Mogwai Fear Satan as it had too many mistakes. We could have fixed those mistakes with computers these days! Though that might be the musical equivalent of that awful digital muppet dancing scene they added to Return Of the Jedi.

The album has ten songs and features drums (both real and electronic), guitars, synthesizers, piano and singing (both vocodered and human). We hope you like it!"

Last edited by henryeatscereal; 01-14-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^ Nice, thanks for the link.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Aaaand they have added California dates! Ticket bought. Majeure (one half of Zombi) is opening and I've wanted to see him live for the longest time, so this is a win win!