Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogwai

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i fucking love that song.

Yeah, best tune. I thought it was really well regarded?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My entire reasoning was I never saw it mentioned anywhere and it seemed to disappear off the setlists quite quickly.
    Pleased to know I'm wrong on that front.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    Lack of I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School saddens me (especially the day before valentines day. that song IS romance) but it really does seem to be only me who loves that song.

It's just that little one bar time signature change with the piano riff at around 1:55. Makes the song for me.
    "The Hawk is Howling" it's a difficult album to listen... because of this i think it has gotten so much shit from the critics and mainstream.
    Still, i think it has brilliant tunes like "Im Jim Morrison...", "Scotland's Shame", "Batcat" and (of course!) "I Love you, im going to blow your school" the song it's so tense it really brings violent images to your mind...

As for the live performances go... i've seen Mogwai 4 times and i've never heard it live (sadly), they just played it briefly on the "Hawk is howling tour" back in 2008-2009, then it dissapeared from their sets, such a shame...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "The Hawk is Howling" it's a difficult album to listen... because of this i think it has gotten so much shit from the critics and mainstream.
    Still, i think it has brilliant tunes like "Im Jim Morrison...", "Scotland's Shame", "Batcat" and (of course!) "I Love you, im going to blow your school" the song it's so tense it really brings violent images to your mind...

As for the live performances go... i've seen Mogwai 4 times and i've never heard it live (sadly), they just played it briefly on the "Hawk is howling tour" back in 2008-2009, then it dissapeared from their sets, such a shame...
    pretty sure they played it one of the times i saw them...but i can't remember for sure.
    the second to last time i saw them, i was dead center, all the way at the front, directly in front of barry's amp, which was, of course, louder than everyone else's, and i forgot earplugs. i couldn't hear properly for two days, but it was one of the best shows i've ever seen...

anyway, the hawk is howling is my favourite mogwai album. as much as i like their songs with vocals, it was nice to have a fully instrumental album, mostly full of moody, brooding pieces, and a lot of great dynamics. i've been a huge fan of the band for well over ten years, and i've never felt more attached to one of their albums that the hawk.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Being in front of Barry's amp is nothing to recommend if you want to keep your eardrums...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    evidently the full-length ost to "les revenants" is supposed to be out in north america on sub pop tomorrow, but i can't find any ordering info on it anywhere. this sucks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If it's on Sub Pop, I'm sure it won't be too hard to find at your local record store. Kinda weird they didn't have a pre-order though.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    evidently the full-length ost to "les revenants" is supposed to be out in north america on sub pop tomorrow, but i can't find any ordering info on it anywhere. this sucks
    Amazon list the soundtrack as "unavailable": http://www.amazon.com/LES-REVENANTS-...+les+revenants

It seems they pushed the release date to March 13: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_2?...qid=1361889876

The import is on sale but it's not worth it... i'll already downloaded it and i want it on Vinyl, guess we'll have to wait a bit more if you want the american physical release...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Its on Spotify. I am really liking this so far.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The album is awesome, i like even more than the "Zidane: OST" (and i do really like that one!)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i had e-mailed Sub-Pop and they e-mailed me back. it's up on their site now (CD & LP).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The Les Revenants soundtrack is excellent.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    The Les Revenants soundtrack is excellent.
    Much agreed! great album!

In other News:

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    He should score this comic.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Mr. Beast has always been my favorite Mogwai record, Come on Die Young and Young Team are a close second.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Mr. Beast has always been my favorite Mogwai record, Come on Die Young and Young Team are a close second.
    a lot of mogwai fans tend to not like mr. beast very much, which has always seemed strange to me. it's definitely not my favourite, but i still think it's a great album.

i think that "the hawk is howling" is their masterpiece, honestly. it's just amazing all the way through, and as much as i like some of the songs with vocals, it's nice that it's a completely instrumental album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My favourite will always be Happy Songs For Happy People.. I do enjoy Mr Beast, Hawk and Hardcore very much. I find it hardest to get into their older stuff, I do enjoy it now, but the first time I heard CODY I was very...bored.. They are just one of my favourite bands, every time I've seen them live the show has been different, pulling tracks from all of their catalogue yet it always feels brand new and cohesive.
    Travel Is Dangerous will probably always be my favourite track.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    As i said on my first post, "CODY" is the one that always does it for me but i rate "Mr. Beast" as a close second and obviously i like "Hawk" and "Happy Songs" a lot (but i'd be lying if i told you they are my faves...)

In my opinion "Mr Beast" is the "quintessential" Mogwai album; it has all the styles Mogwai can play and it has one of their best songs ever (We're no here), but CODY will always be better for me because it has more cohesion as an album and a much intriguing concept (ar at least motif), in my opinion it's their first "soundtrack" album...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we're no here always makes me feel utterly devastated yet somehow also uplifted. mogwai do that like no other band.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    we're no here always makes me feel utterly devastated yet somehow also uplifted. mogwai do that like no other band.
    Funny, the same happens to me with that one too plus "I Love you, im going to blow your school", "Scotland's Shame", "Cody", "2 rights make one Wrong" and "Rano Pano"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ....and "Rano Pano"
    My brain still ca't fathom just what happens musically when everything comes crashing back in for that final 'cycle'. The first time I heard it I didn't even notice, but I turned it up loud on my instant second listen and wow. I didn't cry, but I felt something tug at my heart in a way that rarely happens with music. Like someone ran over a cat in front of me or something. I think I'll trademark these feelings as 'Mogwai Moments'

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    My brain still ca't fathom just what happens musically when everything comes crashing back in for that final 'cycle'. The first time I heard it I didn't even notice, but I turned it up loud on my instant second listen and wow. I didn't cry, but I felt something tug at my heart in a way that rarely happens with music. Like someone ran over a cat in front of me or something. I think I'll trademark these feelings as 'Mogwai Moments'
    Mogwai Moments... I like it!

Last time i saw them live (2012), they played it and the place fuckin imploded, it was sublime, the live version is even better than the studio one...
    Now im going to listen to "Hardcore will never die..." when im off duty!!!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my first mogwai record was rock action, which came out the semester i joined the college radio station. while i don't love all of it these days (and the super furry animals vox on a few tracks always throws me), and even though 'sine wave' sounds an awful lot like 'a warm place'- i'll always have a huge soft spot for that record.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 04-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    my first mogwai record was rock action, which came out the semester i joined the college radio station. while i don't love all of it these days (and the super furry animals vox on a few tracks always throws me), and even though 'sine wave' sounds an awful lot like 'a warm place'- i'll always have a huge soft spot for that record.
    i think that was the first album of theirs i heard, but the first one i owned was young team. pretty sure i was 15 or something, working in the music department at Barnes & Noble.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    I can see the similarities between "Sine Wave" and "A Warm Place" but let's not forget that "AWP" it's an homage to Bowie's "Crystal Japan" and i do think Mogwai's song has its own identity, "Rock Action" isn't perfect but it has some damn good quality tracks and "2 Rights make 1 Wrong" will always give me gosebumps...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    naturally. i reckon it was an original idea based on a similar motif. sometimes it just happens.

'you don't know jesus' is the absolute killer for me on that record.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've always been partial to "take me somewhere nice." it was kind of my doom & gloom anthem in high school.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I might have mentioned this before, but I believe each album has killer tracks. But some of the songs don't do much for me. I feel that way about pretty much everything they've released so far. CODY would be my favorite if I had to name one. I've been listening to The Hawk Is Howling a lot recently. Such a good album. That live album Special Moves is amazing as well.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Im going to get flamed, but i'll admit i did not know this awesome cover of "Punk Rock/Cody" by Deafheaven, holy shit!!!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Seems Mogwai will be performing the Zidane: 21st Century portrait soundtrack, entierly like in London and Manchester; dates are here and here ...

wish i could go