Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Random Tech Questions

What's the difference between LED and LCD for HDTVs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    LCD screens use cold cathode fluorescent lights to illuminate the screen. LED use light emitting diodes.

LED ($$$, thinner, better brightness, more energy efficient, will get you laid) > LCD ($$)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Can you offer up the best value LED? Something around $700.00. It seems everything I bring up in that range is LED-LCD and/or a Samsung with their new "flashlight" and panel problems. Annoying shopping.

Edit: I decided on one. We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-28-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Can you offer up the best value LED? Something around $700.00. It seems everything I bring up in that range is LED-LCD and/or a Samsung with their new "flashlight" and panel problems. Annoying shopping.

Even though you said you decided on one, I want to say that last I checked, there were three different styles of LED. One is edge-lit, which is essentially the same type of backlighting as a normal LCD TV in that the screen is either backlit, or it isn't. The next level has like 9 sections of LEDs behind the LCD screen and each section can turn on and off independently of each other. This allows for better contrast than a universal backlight. The last is broken down into even smaller sections of LEDs. I forget the exact rows and columns, but this one is the most expensive.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It's pretty much what Goldfoot said, all in a nutshell, they're both the same thing. They're flat, slim, the only difference is that one can have two or four lights (imagine now neon tubes), Up-Down, Left-Right, or Up-Down-Left-Right.

The most noticeable difference is on black images. Let's say you have a black wallpaper, on an LCD you may notice that on the edges the black isn't that black at all, more like a washed out black. On an LED this downside manifests in another way, you may (rarely) notice areas that are not black, much like old plasma TVs if that rings any bell.

It depends for what you will be using it. If you plan to watch movies or play games, get an LCD, if you want to use it for graphics, (insert image editing software name here) and you want to make the best of it, then go with the LED.

--
    I forgot I had a question too.

Anyone knows a program I can use to add an image + audio, save it in HQ and upload it to YouTube? I mean, Windows' Movie Maker falls short, just.. no. But I don't want to use Adobe Premiere either. I'd like something lightweight that can do the job pretty fast as I have a bunch of things that need uploading.
    Last edited by MAD; 12-01-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    ^ yeah... premiere is the only thing i can think of on a pc. And itll cost ya. But it is very fast and user friendly. I use it on professional editing jobs. Im using it right now! Sorry... i know that doesnt help.

I also have a question. Im looking for a way to use an ipod touch or ipad as an external monitoring solution for my canon eos dslr... but witgout using a computer as a medium. Bluetooth or wired will work... but im stumped here....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post

Which one did you end up going with? I'm going to be buying a new TV right after xmas. I was looking at the new Samsung LED models, but also read about the flashlight issues, which is the only thing that's really holding me back from picking that model.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My headphones broke so now I need new ones. I've been using really nice in-ear buds for the past 4 years or so but I think I want a pair of over-ear phones now. Don't wanna spend more than $100. Any suggestions? Keep in mind they're mostly for my ipod/walking around campus. These are two I have my eye on:
    Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone

Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones

Thoughts?
    The Grados seems to be more popular, but I'm worried about the open-back disturbing other people and the comfort.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Well, here's another question.

I have a PC with a MSI K9N Neo V3 motherboard that currently runs with an AMD Athlon X2 5200B. Both are socket AM2. Would I be able, with a BIOS upgrade from version 2.60 to 2.90, to run a AMD Phenom X4 9650? This processor is AM2+ and AM2 compatible, but the question is, will the motherboard handle it with 2.90 BIOS?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    My headphones broke so now I need new ones. I've been using really nice in-ear buds for the past 4 years or so but I think I want a pair of over-ear phones now. Don't wanna spend more than $100. Any suggestions? Keep in mind they're mostly for my ipod/walking around campus. These are two I have my eye on:
    Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone

Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones

Thoughts?
    The Grados seems to be more popular, but I'm worried about the open-back disturbing other people and the comfort.
    I'd go with the sennheiser model instead of the Grado one. I'd also recommend the Kicker HP541 for that price range.
    Last edited by GoodSoldier333; 12-09-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks. I did end up ordering the Senns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK, I've got a problem that I'm hoping one of you magnificent Apple iWhores (like myself) can solve.

Awhile back, I reformatted my laptop...like erase everything and start from scratch. So, I copied all of my files onto an external hard drive and went at it. And here is the problem...all of my iTunes songs were loaded back except for anything that was a download, that means The Slip, HTDA and TSN. And they are not on my external HD. I got The Slip back, no problem as it is a free DL. The files are also on my Spotify since I had synced it with my iTunes prior to erasing my shit...and still on my iPod because I have not synced in since this has all happened. Now that I have TGWTDT OTS I want so desperately to get it on my iPod. I know if I can somehow burn a CD from my iPod or Spotify then I can add it all back.

So, that's the scenario. What can I do besides repurchasing HTDA and TSN?

TIA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
    You can't email nullco and request another download link? I'm not sure what their policy is as I didn't really read the email when I got the TSN soundtrack. It seems like they should have you on record and would be willing to send you another download link. They have to be aware that things like this happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    You can't email nullco and request another download link? I'm not sure what their policy is as I didn't really read the email when I got the TSN soundtrack. It seems like they should have you on record and would be willing to send you another download link. They have to be aware that things like this happen.
    That's a good suggestion. I'll wait and see if there is anything else that might be easier than contacting them.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
    OK, I've got a problem that I'm hoping one of you magnificent Apple iWhores (like myself) can solve.

Awhile back, I reformatted my laptop...like erase everything and start from scratch. So, I copied all of my files onto an external hard drive and went at it. And here is the problem...all of my iTunes songs were loaded back except for anything that was a download, that means The Slip, HTDA and TSN. And they are not on my external HD. I got The Slip back, no problem as it is a free DL. The files are also on my Spotify since I had synced it with my iTunes prior to erasing my shit...and still on my iPod because I have not synced in since this has all happened. Now that I have TGWTDT OTS I want so desperately to get it on my iPod. I know if I can somehow burn a CD from my iPod or Spotify then I can add it all back.

TIA!
    http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

This free software allows you transfer any music on your iPod back onto your computer, it also works on Mac. I haven't used it in a few years, but after every 50 song transfers a box will pop-up asking you to purchase, but you can just exit out and continue on your way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

This free software allows you transfer any music on your iPod back onto your computer, it also works on Mac. I haven't used it in a few years, but after every 50 song transfers a box will pop-up asking you to purchase, but you can just exit out and continue on your way.
    Holy shit, it worked!!! Thank you soooo much!

ETS peeps are the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I was messing around with QR codes, and found that in any QR Code made from a shortened Goo.gl link (and I presume any text the same length as a shortened goo.gl link) has an area above the lower left square that can be modified or even completely blanked out! I used this finding to make this modded QR Code, with a small version of my logo embedded within it, linking to my old crappy website:

The area with the [+-] can be completely blanked out, and the code still works fine!

So anyway, my random questions are as follows: Why does this work? Do all QR Codes have a "dead space" such as this? How else can a QR Code be modified?

Edit: I found that apparently American Eagle uses this technique in their QR Code as well:

What other purposes can you think of, or you have seen, that use this modification?

Edit edit: Well it looks like everyone seems to know about this but me... https://www.google.com/search?q=qr+c...w=1366&bih=643

Last edit: Website dedicated to the creation of QR Code logo-embedding: http://www.qrhacker.com/
    Last edited by BipolarMike; 12-30-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: ...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That's very interesting. It would be cool to see where's the dead space in QRs. I'll look into it too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by callahan View Post
    which one did you end up going with? I'm going to be buying a new tv right after xmas. I was looking at the new samsung led models, but also read about the flashlight issues, which is the only thing that's really holding me back from picking that model.
    Sorry I'm late. / Thanks Goldfoot and MAD for more intel.

LG 42lw5300

Pretty great value *slim* LED/LCD, with 3D and a 3D Blu-ray player, and though there seems to be some debate on whether gaming is a good match with this model, I don't think I've seen anything off about it. Then again I need to play more. There are some measures with the input selection and Tru Motion setting that apparently resolve the supposed issue.

Other than that, it'll be great once I get a sound system for it. That's a definite need with this model, in my opinion.

Last edited by Amaro; 01-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WTF does the "win lock' key on my keyboard do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you saw this icon in an Android application while you were selecting multiple objects, would it be apparent that it is an "edit multiple objects at the same time" button, or in other words, an "edit selected objects" button?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Here's my question.

I'm looking for a program which can increase or decrease the contrast of a text and its page.

Why do I need it? I have to read hundreds of pages of my PC monitor and even with my ubercool glasses my eyes still get very tired after a dozen pages. I never needed such a thing. :/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BipolarMike View Post
    If you saw this icon in an Android application while you were selecting multiple objects, would it be apparent that it is an "edit multiple objects at the same time" button, or in other words, an "edit selected objects" button?

What other icons would be displayed? It's all about context.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Would I be able to buy something from the german ebay if it ships worldwide?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Any know a good site with 1080p HD wallpaper, preferably star wars wallpapers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Would I be able to buy something from the german ebay if it ships worldwide?
    Generally speaking, yes. But: customs. There is a certain limit above which you will have to pay a customs fee, I can't find how much it is, but with a bit of googleing you should be able to find out. Also certain electronics and pharmaceuticals are said to be held up at customs.

If this is a big seller, just ask them. If they have been shipping internationally for a while they should know.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    anyone know of any free audio capture programs? I want to capture streaming media.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    anyone know of any free audio capture programs? I want to capture streaming media.
    Audacity works fine for me, it takes some diddling though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    question for everybody who uses photo editing software. i used to use www.picnik.com for most of my editing because it was smooth, responsive, had a lot of options, and i didn't have to have anything installed on my computer. now, it's been absorbed into Google+, so the only way i'd be able to use it would be to sign up. i don't want Google+ at all; not going to get into why, just not interested. so, without downloading photoshop, are there any other photo editing websites that are as good or better than what Picnik was? i use it mostly to edit photos for my personal music project, i make album covers and flyers and things like that. any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    question for everybody who uses photo editing software. i used to use www.picnik.com for most of my editing because it was smooth, responsive, had a lot of options, and i didn't have to have anything installed on my computer. now, it's been absorbed into Google+, so the only way i'd be able to use it would be to sign up. i don't want Google+ at all; not going to get into why, just not interested. so, without downloading photoshop, are there any other photo editing websites that are as good or better than what Picnik was? i use it mostly to edit photos for my personal music project, i make album covers and flyers and things like that. any suggestions?
    I've never actually used an online photo editor like this, but I found this link that may be helpful to you. Another suggestion, obviously not knowing why you want to avoid Google+, would be to create a dummy account and use that for Google+. That way you can still use Picnick and not have your main email address attached to a Google+ account.