Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    What kind of wifi speakers are worth it? I'm just looking to have two in my apartment, so I can listen to music with decent sound, but not irritate the neighbors below? This is just for pottering around; the dedicated turntable + amp + headphones will come later.
    You're looking for WIFI, not Bluetooth? You're probably going to get a lot of SONOS recommendations, but I like the Paradigm PW 600's. I believe the smallest SONOS is $180-ish, and these blow that out of the water for $100 more a speaker. If money is no issue, Bluesound is excellent.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Bluetooth/ wifi doesn't really matter - or does it?
    I'm not going for high end right now. Just tired of the silence in my apartment/ wearing headphones.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Bluetooth/ wifi doesn't really matter - or does it?
    I'm not going for high end right now. Just tired of the silence in my apartment/ wearing headphones.
    Wi-Fi is doing no extra compression to get the sound to you.

Bluetooth, while it's come a long way, uses extra compression because of the limited bandwidth/data transmission. The majority of bluetooth devices are capping audio at 256 kbps. Even AptX HD, which advertises that it can play 24-bit/48kHz files, is only giving them to you at 576 kbps. Then typically, there's even more audio magic on top of that inside your speaker or headphones to help "recover" that audio data.

There's a lot more detail but it's important to keep it understandable.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Thanks for the explanation! For me it just makes more sense for wifi over bluetooth - I've always found BT connections patchy/ tempermental.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yes, like the amazon BT receiver I have setup in the garage so I can listen while I work on my bicycles. If I don't physically unplug the unit when I'm done, it will continuously pull that connection as the prime listening spot no matter what. I could insert wired headphones and it plays for about ~60 seconds and then the BT receiver says "oh yay music!" and it's gone from the headphones.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Does anyone know a good way to rip YouTube videos and turn them into something like an MP4?

I've tried like ten different programs/websites, and nothing seems to work for me.
    There's always some error. I'm not sure if it's my security suite or what.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Does anyone know a good way to rip YouTube videos and turn them into something like an MP4?

I've tried like ten different programs/websites, and nothing seems to work for me.
    1) JDownloader2. Very powerful tool. It may ask to install additional plugins, say yes, they are safe.
    2) youtube-dl - command line tool. Requires installation of ffmpeg to stitch together audio and video (as they are ripped separately due to youtube limitations)

Once installed and configured correctly, these two will work in 100% of cases (unless you hit other problems like private videos or geoblocking). You may spend 10 or 15 minutes reading FAQs and getting familiar, but it will be worth it. I use these all the time to rip stuff for ninlive and for my own multicam projects.
    Last edited by fillow; 07-28-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm not sure about your OS, but in case you're on a Mac you can try MacX YouTube Downloader. Despite the name, it works with a lot of websites including Facebook, Vimeo and Dailymotion. It can save videos as .webm files, which you can open with VLC. It's free, the only downside is that every time a batch of download finishes it opens their website.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post
    I'm not sure about your OS, but in case you're on a Mac you can try MacX YouTube Downloader. Despite the name, it works with a lot of websites including Facebook, Vimeo and Dailymotion. It can save videos as .webm files, which you can open with VLC. It's free, the only downside is that every time a batch of download finishes it opens their website.
    Thank you for the tip, but, I haven't a Mac.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @fillow can I use this JDownloader without using the other program? Will it rip and compress videos into MP4 or mkv?

I'm REALLY good with certain specific computer things, but, when we start talking about stitching together audio and video... well, that sounds like it might be a bit over my head.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @fillow can I use this JDownloader without using the other program? Will it rip and compress videos into MP4 or mkv?

I'm REALLY good with certain specific computer things, but, when we start talking about stitching together audio and video... well, that sounds like it might be a bit over my head.
    Yeah, they are not complementary. Using either one of them is sufficient. For a simple task like downloading a single video, they work more of less the same. The difference is other more elaborate functionality like mass-downloading lots of links, choosing file quality, and so on. Youtube-dl works with audio/video content only, while JD supports pretty much everything from a million of hosting services.

IIRC, once you install JD and feed a youtube link to it, it will ask you to agree to install an additional plugin. Once it's done, you won't have to merge audio/video manually, it will do it for you. The output will be always either mp4 or mkv.

The video/audio is not being compressed per se during this download, the tool just takes whatever is already encoded at youtube servers. You should be able to choose quality too like you do in youtube player (sd, 720p, 1080p, 4K, etc, usually the biggest one gets downloaded by default unless you tell it otherwise)
    Last edited by fillow; 07-28-2021 at 05:07 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Girls and guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones. I currently own the Sony's MDR-7506, and I like them just fine, but I feel like they lack a little bass. I want to go to the next step, and I'm looking for something in the $400 range. The ones I've looked at were the Beyerdynamic Amiron. Any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This weird, I don't know, indexing(?) thing has been going on lately with my computer. I open a folder and it starts doing this. Once all the viewable files are blank, it refreshes and it's fine. And when I saw viewable, I mean that if there are more files than can show it will do the refresh as soon as it hits the last one. And it kind of freezes Explorer when it does it, you can't click anything or navigate away. I wonder if it's dbPoweramp doing something in the background but spoon is touchy (grouchy) about questions that suggest it doesn't work correctly.

Screenshot 2021-09-12 105817.png

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Anyone have experience with STARLINK? Seeing advertisement of 150-500 Mbps for the premium tier.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So I really would like a region free Blu ray player. I know 220 electronics is a great dealer. However, I can't decide if I want a "all in one" unit that will play 4k and UHD as well, or just buy a standard region free Blu-ray player and get a 4k player at a later time since 4k/4k UHD discs are typicallyregion free (there's a few instances of releases being region locked.). Anyone got any advice?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hey guys, I have some techy questions.

First off: Visuals
    I've got a Playstation 1 and 2, GameCube, LaserDisc player (don't ask why), VCR and I need a good CRT to hook them up to. I'd prefer a bigger TV, but one not heavy enough I can't haul up and down stairs. It has to support component (PS2), composite (PS1/GC/VHS(?)) and S-Video (LD) cables. Anyone have any model/brand reccomendations?

Second: Audio
    What's a good MiniDisc player model I should hunt out? Preferably looking for a Pioneer to match my CD and LD player (one of the few brands I have a loyalty to).

I'm also thinking about adding a Bluetooth media player/storage thingamajig. Something I can ~~never have~~ load some HQ FLACs onto or stream spotify on my hifi.
    Last edited by Prick; 10-10-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prick View Post
    Hey guys, I have some techy questions.

First off: Visuals
    I've got a Playstation 1 and 2, GameCube, LaserDisc player (don't ask why), VCR and I need a good CRT to hook them up to. I'd prefer a bigger TV, but one not heavy enough I can't haul up and down stairs. It has to support component (PS2), composite (PS1/GC/VHS(?)) and S-Video (LD) cables. Anyone have any model/brand reccomendations?

Second: Audio
    What's a good MiniDisc player model I should hunt out? Preferably looking for a Pioneer to match my CD and LD player (one of the few brands I have a loyalty to).

I'm also thinking about adding a Bluetooth media player/storage thingamajig. Something I can ~~never have~~ load some HQ FLACs onto or stream spotify on my hifi.
    The only thing I can offer here is that any big CRT is gonna weigh a lot. The last one I had I left behind when I moved out of a house 12 years ago because it weighed well over 100 lbs. I think it was a 30 or 32" full screen HD tv. Non-HD isn't as absurdly heavy luckily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm not looking for an HD crt, something about them means the geometry isn't as good I think? Not sure, but I read in a purist thread that you can usually tell which is which whether or not it has HDMI ports. I'll just trust what they said.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prick View Post
    Yeah I'm not looking for an HD crt, something about them means the geometry isn't as good I think? Not sure, but I read in a purist thread that you can usually tell which is which whether or not it has HDMI ports. I'll just trust what they said.
    Old question, sorry. Your old 240p consoles will look "more correct" on a SD CRT, so that includes the N64 and before.

EDIT: You didn't say "portable" for the MiniDisc player, so definitely Sony or Denon. You can get a preowned mid-range one for about $80 to $120. Denon has "copy decks" for MiniDisc as well, somewhere between $150 and $300.
    Last edited by Jon; 02-05-2023 at 10:04 AM.