Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So I've been thinking about upgrading some stuffs on my MBP '11. I've looked at the ifixit videos a while back and feel fairly confident about it, just wondering if anyone has done this themselves. Want to put in a solid state hard drive, more ram and probable a new battery as well since i'll have it opened up. I am hesitant as i don't want to brick this thing as it's been rock solid since i bought it ('11).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    So I've been thinking about upgrading some stuffs on my MBP '11. I've looked at the ifixit videos a while back and feel fairly confident about it, just wondering if anyone has done this themselves. Want to put in a solid state hard drive, more ram and probable a new battery as well since i'll have it opened up. I am hesitant as i don't want to brick this thing as it's been rock solid since i bought it ('11).
    Yo, I have a MBP 2012 and have upgraded the ram and hdd to ssd with ease. I have not switch batteries yet as mine is still fairly good. My suggestion for you is follow the videos carefully and DO backup your HDD drive before switching to the SSD.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Recently got an external hard drive, something I probably should have done a long time ago. Anyway, I'm burning stuff off a DVD drive on my computer and it's not reading some of my blank DVDs which I know have stuff on them I can transfer to the new HD. Should I get a Blu-ray drive?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Recently got an external hard drive, something I probably should have done a long time ago. Anyway, I'm burning stuff off a DVD drive on my computer and it's not reading some of my blank DVDs which I know have stuff on them I can transfer to the new HD. Should I get a Blu-ray drive?
    Without any further details, it sounds like it may be a format issue ("dash" vs "plus"). What type of drive are you using? What brand/type of discs are you specifically having trouble with?

I have a Plextor PX-B320SA internal Blu-ray drive, which I'd recommend. I'm currently thinking of picking up a Pioneer external.