Thread: Random Tech Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just get an "ATX" power supply, they all have compatible connectors now. Get a model with 400 W (or more for graphics card)
    Your picture of the board is all PCI-ex ports, for graphics card you're looking for the longest of them, in the middle. All modern cards use it exclusively.
    If you plan on adding a card like Nvidia GTX1050 or 1650 (or AMD RX460 or 550) - those generally get all necessary power from the slot.
    Mode advanced models like GTX1060/1660 or RX570/5500 require additional power connector - get a power supply with 500 watts or more for those.

Oh, and both graphics card manufacturers dropped native support for VGA monitor connector starting with GTX10** series for Nvidia and RX series for AMD. If you used that blue connector for monitor then you're going to need a digital connection instead: DVI or HDMI or Displayport. You're lucky if your monitor has an extra input, so you will need just a new cable, if not - look at newer monitors too
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 03-17-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Oh, and both graphics card manufacturers dropped native support for VGA monitor connector starting with GTX10** series for Nvidia and RX series for AMD. If you used that blue connector for monitor then you're going to need a digital connection instead: DVI or HDMI or Displayport. You're lucky if your monitor has an extra input, so you will need just a new cable, if not - look at newer monitors too
    Can you recommend a 4K monitor? There is nothing wrong with my Asus VG248QE, but I'd like to go above 1080p at this point. Am I better off purchasing a 4K HDR TV for the price?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Can you recommend a 4K monitor? There is nothing wrong with my Asus VG248QE, but I'd like to go above 1080p at this point. Am I better off purchasing a 4K HDR TV for the price?
    Prob not a good idea to go with a TV as a PC monitor replacement, although it depends on the use. They're perfect for couch gaming and movies or youtube if you're able to sit far enough away but for general computer use they're not really made to be as crisp for reading text on news articles and things of that nature. PC monitors are made with you sitting arms length away in mind, TVs just aren't. Your results may very though.