Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    What kind of wifi speakers are worth it? I'm just looking to have two in my apartment, so I can listen to music with decent sound, but not irritate the neighbors below? This is just for pottering around; the dedicated turntable + amp + headphones will come later.
    You're looking for WIFI, not Bluetooth? You're probably going to get a lot of SONOS recommendations, but I like the Paradigm PW 600's. I believe the smallest SONOS is $180-ish, and these blow that out of the water for $100 more a speaker. If money is no issue, Bluesound is excellent.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Bluetooth/ wifi doesn't really matter - or does it?
    I'm not going for high end right now. Just tired of the silence in my apartment/ wearing headphones.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Bluetooth/ wifi doesn't really matter - or does it?
    I'm not going for high end right now. Just tired of the silence in my apartment/ wearing headphones.
    Wi-Fi is doing no extra compression to get the sound to you.

Bluetooth, while it's come a long way, uses extra compression because of the limited bandwidth/data transmission. The majority of bluetooth devices are capping audio at 256 kbps. Even AptX HD, which advertises that it can play 24-bit/48kHz files, is only giving them to you at 576 kbps. Then typically, there's even more audio magic on top of that inside your speaker or headphones to help "recover" that audio data.

There's a lot more detail but it's important to keep it understandable.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Thanks for the explanation! For me it just makes more sense for wifi over bluetooth - I've always found BT connections patchy/ tempermental.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    yes, like the amazon BT receiver I have setup in the garage so I can listen while I work on my bicycles. If I don't physically unplug the unit when I'm done, it will continuously pull that connection as the prime listening spot no matter what. I could insert wired headphones and it plays for about ~60 seconds and then the BT receiver says "oh yay music!" and it's gone from the headphones.