Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2047

Thread: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Most odd - I am watching the DVD version of the film, the Immigrant Song in the titles is significantly quicker and higher pitched than the album version!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Most odd - I am watching the DVD version of the film, the Immigrant Song in the titles is significantly quicker and higher pitched than the album version!
    Do you have the PAL dvd? Or are you outside north america? I've read NTSC DVD content is sped up to 25fps from 24fps, which also changes the audio throughout the whole movie.
    Last edited by blassster; 04-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Do you have the PAL dvd? Or are you outside north america? I've read NTSC DVD content is sped up to 25fps from 24fps, which also changes the audio throughout the whole movie.
    why on earth would they do that?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    NTSC is 30 fps (29,97 or 30000/1001 to be exact) and it's not sped up from PAL, there's an special algorithm called Inverse Telecine.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    simonn's post just reminded me of complaints I've come across over the years, so I mentioned an example of a similar thing. I made a mistake on listing 24fps as NTSC standard. I believe I should have said that films are typically shot at 24fps, and PAL viewers can suffer from this. But now we're heading off topic, so I hope this can explain to simonn what's going on (if this is the same issue).
    Last edited by blassster; 04-21-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Last time I was in Australia, at some point we were watching Scrubs, and everyone was chipmunked, but just a little bit. I figured it must have been lazy conversion between NTSC & PAL. I couldn't believe how incredibly stupid that was, but I guess it's easier to speed up audio than it is to time-compress it. My mind was a little bit blown. (Sort of like when Australians find out that the American Mad Max was redubbed, and that we only got the original audio in 2000 here.)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    American Mad Max was redubbed, and that we only got the original audio in 2000 here.)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Caved in, purchased the vinyl. Figured I should take the opportunity since i didn't the the chance to purchase the Ghosts ultra deluxe package.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's a temporary 'acquired' R5 version until I get round to buying the Blu Ray.....have now played them side by side and there is a marked difference, and I noticed it on You're Here too...., cos that's my mobile phone text message ring tone...
    Last edited by simonn; 04-22-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    That's a CD, a t shirt and 2 vinyl for $100 - 3x the number of vinyl, a custom USB stick, poster and signatures for $300 seems about balanced

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I have a difficult time counting that poster as a serious value-added component. Unless it's no longer a fold-out.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well, it's over 60cm long, not bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tomorrow is shipping day isn't it? Time sure does fly. I hope it actually ships and we don't get a email about a delay again.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Boy does it hurt to look at this knowing that I cancelled my order to pay off debts to my college.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Teaser pics look awesome...kinda miffed that the shipping box has that printed on it because I am sure the box will get all fucked up at the hands of USPS or whomever will be shipped via. And arrive not minty fresh.

Yeah, yeah...being an OCD collector nerd...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Purty! (And they look huge!) Looking forward, in a bittersweet way, to seeing you all post more pictures when they start arriving.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Oh man. I would never even play the vinyl, and doubt I'd use the USB drive, but that picture does kind of make me wish I'd gotten one of those.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Oh man. I would never even play the vinyl, and doubt I'd use the USB drive, but that picture does kind of make me wish I'd gotten one of those.
    you'd never play the vinyl to keep it mint, or because you don't have a record player? (i'm not being snarky, i'm really curious)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I get the feeling this album isn't exactly a MUST HAVE on vinyl? Heavens forbid it's a loud pressing, either.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Excitement... growing...

Front door waiting... beginning...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhulud View Post
    Teaser pics look awesome...kinda miffed that the shipping box has that printed on it because I am sure the box will get all fucked up at the hands of USPS or whomever will be shipped via. And arrive not minty fresh.

Yeah, yeah...being an OCD collector nerd...
    I had the same thoughts re: that shipping box too. I would love it packaged into another box for shipping.
    Attention to detail is obvious just from the four pictures. I can't wait to get mine now.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you'd never play the vinyl to keep it mint, or because you don't have a record player? (i'm not being snarky, i'm really curious)
    I have a record player, and I don't put practical things away in cases just to keep them pretty.

For one, the soundtrack is a very, very long listen. In fact, I may have only listened to it from start to finish twice. Secondly, I am squarely in the 'vinyl output is lower fidelity' corner. To believe otherwise is like saying evolution is 'just a theory' or that man-made global warming doesn't exist. That's not snark, that's just fact. Some folks prefer the sound of music being played back on vinyl, and I am just not one of those folks. I do have more vinyl than I probably should (maybe two dozen records) but after giving a few of them a go, I realized that the only reason I'd buy vinyl is to support an artist, or maybe it's $2 more than the digital download and comes with a digital download.

Also to have some record of the music I like listening to, after the massive EMP blows through earth destroying all computers. Ahem.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Secondly, I am squarely in the 'vinyl output is lower fidelity' corner. To believe otherwise is like saying evolution is 'just a theory' or that man-made global warming doesn't exist. That's not snark, that's just fact. Some folks prefer the sound of music being played back on vinyl, and I am just not one of those folks.

Also to have some record of the music I like listening to, after the massive EMP blows through earth destroying all computers. Ahem.
    i completely understand. i'm a big fan of vinyl, but not for its fidelity. i never understand when i'm talking to other audiophiles who think that it sounds better on a technical level...it's simply a personal preference, and some music lends itself well to the format. i personally prefer it for the experience; i think it's much more visceral to have to take a big disc out of a sleeve, put it on a turntable and drop the needle on it than to hit play on an MP3 player, but i still USE an MP3 player on a daily basis.
    i'm also addicted to box sets, which is ok, because my money doesn't really go toward any other recreational uses.

also, yes...it'll be nice to have a hand-crank turntable to use to appease our robot overlords.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i completely understand. i'm a big fan of vinyl, but not for its fidelity. i never understand when i'm talking to other audiophiles who think that it sounds better on a technical level...it's simply a personal preference, and some music lends itself well to the format. i personally prefer it for the experience; i think it's much more visceral to have to take a big disc out of a sleeve, put it on a turntable and drop the needle on it than to hit play on an MP3 player, but i still USE an MP3 player on a daily basis.
    i'm also addicted to box sets, which is ok, because my money doesn't really go toward any other recreational uses.

also, yes...it'll be nice to have a hand-crank turntable to use to appease our robot overlords.
    I just got a turntable for my birthday, along with an original copy of David Bowie's Low. It sounds a little muddy, and it crackles and pops, and changing the sides is sort of a pain -- but that just made me appreciate it that much more. It's all fun. I don't plan to have more than a few records.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I just got a turntable for my birthday, along with an original copy of David Bowie's Low. It sounds a little muddy, and it crackles and pops, and changing the sides is sort of a pain -- but that just made me appreciate it that much more. It's all fun. I don't plan to have more than a few records.
    I'm veering horribly off topic, but I have several albums by Belong which are absolutely better on vinyl, period - especially during a daytime downpour.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Keeping it off topic - Belong is one of those musical projects that is perfect for vinyl since it's ambient. I have a few as well, but haven't listened to them.

On topic - Dude. I can not wait for this package to arrive next week. So, so, so damn awesome looking.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah, i've been looking forward to this for so long, now...and i've been so stressed out lately (working, moving, doing sound design and running sound for a play), i'm hoping that i have a day to just sit down and listen to this all the way through.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Nice to see the package at last.
    Unfortunately I'm on holidays.
    I sent an email a couple of day ago, but still no reply.
    Did somebody already get a confirmation that the package is shipped?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was just going to ask the same thing - I still haven't received a confirmation email.