Page 447 of 527 FirstFirst ... 347 397 437 445 446 447 448 449 457 497 ... LastLast
Results 13,381 to 13,410 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i miss danny lohner

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I want Trent & Atticus to produce the Cure.....

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I think it's come to a point where somebody probably might eventually upload a spectrogram covering every second of every official Nine Inch Nails release. I don't think I'd be all that surprised if such a thing actually happens.

I also like how the album art of Pretty Hate Machine, With Teeth and the Hesitation Marks CD itself, also reminded me of spectrograms.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If Bad Witch was like the other 2 EP's and limited to only 5 songs, imagine how dark it would be if they just ended it with I'm Not From This World, and not having Over and Out? I feel like that would be the darkest and most unexpected way to end the whole trilogy. Also, what do you guys think was the inspiration behind the title of I'm Not From This World?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    If Bad Witch was like the other 2 EP's and limited to only 5 songs, imagine how dark it would be if they just ended it with I'm Not From This World, and not having Over and Out? I feel like that would be the darkest and most unexpected way to end the whole trilogy. Also, what do you guys think was the inspiration behind the title of I'm Not From This World?
    Weird take but, it's the most "organic"-feeling track, there's even sounds which are like animals (birds ?), but.. dirtier ? I think it can relate to the bones and dirt we see on the cover. I'm not from this world, let me just become dirt and go back to mother nature (even if those people are saying she's a whore). Protagonist was in cave, he only saw shadows, and now he's out. Is he saying he's not from his previous world ? The new one ? To link with the lyrics from Dear World, ? Or maybe "I'm Not From This World" is a sonic canvas of those shadows on the cave's wall.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 11-04-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The whole trilogy, especially Not The Actual Events and Add Violence, remind me of Shutter Island (the movie).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiral94 View Post
    i miss danny lohner
    Danny Lohner was a master headbanger. That dude had so much energy on stage. If you watch him when he's playing in one of the Wave Goodbye shows in 2009 with the band he carries that same vibe and it really adds to the music.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I actually wondered/guessed if it could've been from songs such as Terrible Lie, Burn, The Day The World Went Away, The Great Below, Right Where It Belongs, Non-Entity, The Good Soldier and 1,000,000. This is all merely a guess, and just reached that far back since there have been many call-backs to various songs/eras since Not The Actual Events came out. And I know it doesn't even have to be those exact songs, assuming that it came from any previous songs to start with, but they really came to mind nonetheless.

These particular lyrics seem like times where he felt/thought "I'm Not From This World" from feeling out of place or even feeling like he shouldn't or might as well not even exist. (Perhaps exacerbated via ostracism, oppression, self-loathing, suicidal ideation, misery, emptiness and/or isolation, or simply feeling like he doesn't belong due to refusing to conform and go on to as he put it, "Find My Way" while also combating his internal "Demon Seed" and "Mr Self Destruct" adversaries so as not to ruin it as also mentioned in Even Deeper. And with internal adversaries like that, I could easily see how that could absolutely make somebody feel unequivocally not from this world at all. And then there's the songs that have multiple mentions of "fading away", such as Getting Smaller. And while uniqueness and creativity can be great things, even such traits can also sometimes make one not feel of this world either.)

Terrible Lie - There's nothing left for me to hide. I lost my ignorance, security and pride. I'm all alone in a world you must despise.

Burn - This world rejects me. This world threw me away. This world never gave me a chance. This world's gonna have to pay.

I never was a part of you. Burn.

The Day The World Went Away - There is a place that still remains. It eats the fear. It eats the pain. The sweetest price you'll have to pay. The day the whole world went away.

The Great Below - All the world has closed her eyes. Tired faith all worn and thin. For all we could have done and all that could have been. Ocean pulls me close and whispers in my ear. The destiny I've chose. All becoming clear. The currents have their say. The time is drawing near. Washes me away. Makes me disappear. And I descend from grace in arms of undertow. I will take my place in the great below.

Right Where It Belongs - What if all the world's inside of your head. Just creations of your own. Your devils and your gods. All the living and the dead. And you really are alone. You can live in this illusion. You can choose to believe. You keep looking but you can't find the woods. Are you hiding in the trees?

What if everything around you isn't quite as it seems? What if all the world you used to know is an elaborate dream? And if you look at your reflection is that all you want to be? What if you could look right through the cracks? Would you find yourself, find yourself afraid to see?

Non-Entity - The sky is not the same shade of blue. Every single thing I believe isn't true. Missing in a maze of monochrome. How did I get here? How can I go home?

Try to stand in line. Try to obey. The ghosts of what I was keep getting in the way. Staring at the sun. Blinded by the light. Now I'm afraid I'm fading out of sight.

The echoes in my eyes of all they used to see. Burning down the world. The ashes and debris. And all that's left of you and all that's left of me all have washed away. Non-entity.

The Good Soldier - I am trying to see. I am trying to believe. This is not where I should be. I am trying to believe.

1,000,000 - Got these lines on my face. After all this time and I still haven't found my place.

I wake up on the floor. Start it up again like it matters anymore. I don't know if it does. Is this really all that there ever was? Put the gun in my mouth. Close your eyes. Blow my fucking brains out. Pretty patterns on the floor. That's enough for you but I still need more.

I jump from every rooftop. So high so far to fall. I feel a million miles away. I don't feel anything at all.

I don't feel anything. A million miles a way.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Weird take but, it's the most "organic"-feeling track, there's even sounds which are like animals (birds ?), but.. dirtier ? I think it can relate to the bones and dirt we see on the cover. I'm not from this world, let me just become dirt and go back to mother nature (even if those people are saying she's a whore). Protagonist was in cave, he only saw shadows, and now he's out. Is he saying he's not from his previous world ? The new one ? To link with the lyrics from Dear World, ? Or maybe "I'm Not From This World" is a sonic canvas of those shadows on the cave's wall.
    I’ve never been able to pick up the bird sounds in this track, but if they are in there, they would act as a callback to Burning Bright, where there are birds chirping in the “Breathe, breathe”-part.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I want Trent & Atticus to produce the Cure.....
    There was a rumor years ago that Robert Smith wanted to make a solo album in the late 90s with TR as producer. Would be amazeballs if something along these lines actually came to fruition.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I’ve never been able to pick up the bird sounds in this track, but if they are in there, they would act as a callback to Burning Bright, where there are birds chirping in the “Breathe, breathe”-part.
    I forgot to get to this as I was caught up in my previous post. Anyway, the chirping birds definitely also reminded me of Something I Can Never Have.

This is yet another thing I love about Nine Inch Nails. The music has me sold, but the stories and also just the fact that you hear more the more you listen is what also got me so hooked. It's amazing, yet crazy because even with Closer as one example out of so many, I'm still hearing things I haven't heard before since 2002 when I was introduced to NIN by a friend all those years ago. It just makes you appreciate the music more and more as the years go by, not to mention just how relatable it can all be as time goes by too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There's also a synth sound sounding like birds on Year Zero (The Greater Good ?). Maybe it's a sample, maybe it's completely synthetic.. But anyway, it really sounds like it, and really ties into the idea of the Trilogy, somehow.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 11-05-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Also, what do you guys think was the inspiration behind the title of I'm Not From This World?
    If we consider that much of the new material is Bowie-related, perhaps it's that. As in The Man Who Fell To Earth.
    Or it could be a rejection of reality, like "I don't want to live on this planet anymore".

There are also birds in Something I Can Never Have, and possibly some of Still (although I haven't heard Still in years, so I may be wrong there).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The artwork for Ahead of Ourselves with the index finger pointing reminds me of Copy Of A "I am just a finger on a trigger on a finger
    Doing everything I'm told to do"

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've always loved and enjoyed how well Gave Up and The Great Below compliment each other lyrically and emotionally on the CD version of And All That Could Have Been (Live). However, at the same time I also prefer having La Mer in between both songs on the DVD version.

I also thought that Shit Mirror could've been a possible reference to Right Where It Belongs, in where he finally became brave enough to see the reflection for what it actually is. The connection is kind of like the one I came across between Hurt and 1,000,000.

There also might be a possible connection/reference to Gave Up and Burning Bright (Field on Fire), which I'm sure I pointed out before, where he says he's the strongest he's been in his decline, which also took me back to his steady systematic decline while waking up in flames and then becoming a field on fire.

I'll admit that the trilogy has been amazing in regards to discussion concerning general interpretations, analysis and dissection over NIN.

To think that I used to think it couldn't get any more ambiguous, mysterious and colossal than the Year Zero era. Then again, you'd even think that the concepts of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile would've been far more than enough fuel/fodder for these discussions.

With that being said, my mind goes on NIN overload more than usual every tour without fail. I'm just so high/stoked/hyped up on NIN, especially after attending the show and still being in the same year of the show I just attended. I'm not complaining though, since I at least caught him on tour. Damn, would that have sucked to miss NIN on tour when around my way. I just got to "break through the surface and breath" and just take it one song and album at a time.

(Because me ever going cold turkey on NIN ain't happening any time soon in this world/life.)

Aside from as other things from 1989, as with the entirely of the 1990s as far as other entertainment mediums go, with two examples of very successful shows with in their respective genres. Any fan of all three would absolutely see where I'm coming from, and see that it's definitely still a compliment to the highest order. I also only stopped at two examples, since this can go on and on with so many other things.

Nine Inch Nails to me is to 1990s music, the same exact way that Seinfeld is to 1990s sitcoms.

Nine Inch Nails to me is to 1990s music, the same exact way that Dragon Ball Z is to 1990s anime.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wasn't the biggest fan at the time of the "ANXIETY" shirt I bought at the Boston concert (it was the only one left), because I tend to be a pretty low-anxiety person, but man, wearing it now on Election Day it feels pretty damn relevant.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Anybody else listening to Year Zero from start to finish today? Had it on in the car to / from the polls (which was mildly awkward given that I picked my mom up along the way). But it feels depressingly relevant today. Hell, they could just change track seven to Capital D and it'd still work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Anybody else listening to Year Zero from start to finish today? Had it on in the car to / from the polls (which was mildly awkward given that I picked my mom up along the way). But it feels depressingly relevant today. Hell, they could just change track seven to Capital D and it'd still work.
    I always refer to the G as Greed and covers ALL politicans,lol.
    But hey maybe I only wish I was in that position, I haven't had enough to know what it's like.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    G is supposed to be for “Greed,” which is also what the crowd is chanting in the chorus.

Even though I’m overseas, I put it on at work the day after Trump was sworn in and of course it felt like the only album one could listen to. With the Democrats winning the majority in the House of Representatives, the soundtrack of today feels a tad more optimistic to this European.

But yes, it really is unfortunate that Trent’s most lyrically relevant album, to use a word he has been using a lot himself, is arguably still that album!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How many and what songs has Robin played live that Ally hasn’t and vice versa?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It’s a double entendre standing for Greed and George Bush. I’ve also always thought Capital G was unfairly disliked by people and the few live performances of it sound fantastic.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I love capital G. I love his vocals and the guitar riffs. Capital G is a great nin song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrickooo View Post
    How many and what songs has Robin played live that Ally hasn’t and vice versa?
    I did a quick look, and I think Ally has missed the following that Robin has played:

The Only Time
    The Downward Spiral
    Big Man with a Gun
    Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)
    Closer to God
    Just Like You Imagined
    The Great Below
    The Mark Has Been Made
    Complication
    Lights in the Sky
    Gone, Still

Skipping out on the 2009 tour really cost Ally getting about half of those songs.

In the other direction, it's mainly going to be With Teeth and Year Zero stuff that never got performed again after their respective tours:

You Know What You Are
    Every Day Is Exactly the Same
    With Teeth
    We're in This Together
    Capital G
    Hyperpower!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about...I hope NIN and their people are ok. I don't know where their home bases are. I thought some were around the LA area, idk. These wild fire reports look horrendous, and I can't imagine what it would be like to be around those fires, that's some scary shit. I hope people out there are ok, that's all, goodnight.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    It’s a double entendre standing for Greed and George Bush. I’ve also always thought Capital G was unfairly disliked by people and the few live performances of it sound fantastic.
    if i want to listen to "the way you make me feel" by michael jackson, i'll listen to that song. trent's version just doesn't do anything for me.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if i want to listen to "the way you make me feel" by michael jackson, i'll listen to that song. trent's version just doesn't do anything for me.
    Saying this over and over again won’t make it any less wrong

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I mean, I always thought the beat was inspired by Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears than anything else. Definitely makes more sense than Michael Jackson.

Also, I think Capital G would go over really well if they played it live again. I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard more Year Zero stuff beyond the usual staples, but I guess Trent & Atticus are trying not to be too obvious at the moment.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I mean, I always thought the beat was inspired by Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears than anything else. Definitely makes more sense than Michael Jackson.

Also, I think Capital G would go over really well if they played it live again. I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard more Year Zero stuff beyond the usual staples, but I guess Trent & Atticus are trying not to be too obvious at the moment.
    YES. I've been kinda hoping that we got that one at some point this tour. Guess there's still a chance it could happen, though. You're probably right with some of the YZ material being a little on-the-nose for now, but maybe that isn't even a factor, either.

I think part of wanting so many songs to pop up on this touring cycle has to do with the fact that they could sound really awesome with this iteration of the band. Of the 5 shows I went to, there's only been one song I thought sounded better on previous tours than the current one (that one song being Spoiler: Only), and it still didn't even sound bad at all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My Violent Heart gives off strong NTAE/AV vibes now that I listen to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    I usually stick to the Airwolf theme, Jacko's version is a tad slow and I never cared for the lyrics.