Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Advice Thread

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

The Great Advice Thread

Always put on a garter belt before your underwear. That way taking off your underwear is easy.

Crack eggs on a flat surface.

Drink a cup of coffee before a short nap so that the caffeine can go through your system and kick in when you wake up.

This quote about making art:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Work SMART, not hard.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Every once in awhile it's okay to sweat the petty stuff... just make sure you never, ever pet the sweaty stuff.
    -Dad

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
    Then give up, no use making a damn fool of yourself.
    -Maternal Grandmother

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Cualquier tonto hace de sus nalgas un tambor. -My grandmother

Translation: Any idiot can turn his ass into a drum.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I watched this video of Patti Smith and I keep thinking about it often. Especially the advice that she received from William Burroughs, "Build a good name. Keep your name clean. Don’t make compromises. Don’t worry about making a bunch of money or being successful. Be concerned with doing good work. And make the right choices and protect your work. And if you can build a good name, eventually that name will be its own currency."
    In her video she expands a bit beyond the realm of artists too, but for me this advice has become so important to me while I think about juggling being an artist and the rest of my life.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The best pieces of advice I found were from Will Smith:

1. "Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing and work hard. The right people – the ones who really belong in your life – will come to you. And stay."

2. "Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions."

3. "Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you, and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too."

4. "We spend money that we do not have, on things we do not need, to impress people who do not care."

5. "Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Some people are better at hiding it than others."

6. "When you create art, the world has to wait."

7. ​"The first step is you have to say that you can."

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I spelled advise wrong.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    No, you're good here. Advise is a verb. (I advise you to...)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You can observe a lot by watching.
    Yogi Berra

Truer words were never spoken. That man was a great sage. I'm not kidding. I love Yogi.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Joe Hill: 'The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.'

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Never join a forum that's more than 10 years old. There will be long-running cliques that you will get left out of because you're the newbie. In that case, you are just better off sticking to Facebook or Twitter.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Never join a forum that's more than 10 years old. There will be long-running cliques that you will get left out of because you're the newbie. In that case, you are just better off sticking to Facebook or Twitter.

But ETS is 15 years old

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal @elevenism - I thought that you both might love the way Jerry Seinfeld put this. It's definitely far easier said than done during the moment for/to me though, but I actually can still see and be willing to absolutely admit as to why it's worth it in the greater scheme of things. Thanks for being among the few to get this type of point across to me.

But of course, the "Seinfeldian" approach/take just gives it a special type of twist/kick/pep/vibe.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-18-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    But ETS is 15 years old
    I mean, she said "more than 10."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    anything by bob Marley always seems to calm sooth me memories of good times and sunny days

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Whenever I see this thread name, I think of this:

So, not to be completely off-topic... advice... don't drink. :-)

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Water always wins.
    - Maternal Grandfather

It's better to be a smart-ass than a dumb-ass
    - Maternal Grandmother

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    @henryeatscereal @elevenism - I thought that you both might love the way Jerry Seinfeld put this. It's definitely far easier said than done during the moment for/to me though, but I actually can still see and be willing to absolutely admit as to why it's worth it in the greater scheme of things. Thanks for being among the few to get this type of point across to me.

But of course, the "Seinfeldian" approach/take just gives it a special type of twist/kick/pep/vibe.
    That's a great video and a good advice too, i agree with everything that Seinfeld says, he knows that is best to be happy rather than always fight dumb people.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I used to like this one guy. Then I realized there's a reason why he's still single. He spends all his free time online. He doesn't even read anymore. He has no car and he lives in a crappy apartment. He's a bigger loser than I am. At least I work out, read and make art sometimes. I guess the advice in this case would be don't be a loser. You need goals, dreams, and ambitions.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I used to like this one guy. Then I realized there's a reason why he's still single. He spends all his free time online. He doesn't even read anymore. He has no car and he lives in a crappy apartment. He's a bigger loser than I am. At least I work out, read and make art sometimes. I guess the advice in this case would be don't be a loser. You need goals, dreams, and ambitions.
    uh, hey, have you heard of this thing called depression which saps all of your energy and makes it almost impossible to function like an active human being? maybe he's depressed and needs help.

gosh, you really are kind of a jerk, aren't you? here's my advice - stop being a jerk. you've consistently said weird or cruel things since joining this board and it's getting really tedious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ..... In that case, you are just better off sticking to Facebook or Twitter.
    In that vein; "Stay off Facebook"

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    scroll above to your post regarding the *wisdom* of will smith:

"5. 'Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Some people are better at hiding it than others.'"
    Last edited by kel; 11-29-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Whatever
    you
    do,
    never
    run
    back to what broke you
    . -
    Frank Ocean

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    When someone mistreats you or attacks you on a personal level, it says more about them than it does about you.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    When someone mistreats you or attacks you on a personal level, it says more about them than it does about you.
    Maybe...but let's not pretend that's a bad thing. If you start spewing racist bullshit, for example, then that's your personality and you're goddamn right I'm going to attack you for it.

So maybe that's my advice: when people are being horrible and shitty people, don't turn a blind eye and shrug it off - call them out.