Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stand Up

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Those Neil Bergatze bits are pretty funny. Never heard of him before.
    Never got Louis CK either. Amy Schumer being a famous comedian is beyooond me.
    Joe Rogan isn't a great stand up but he is really great with his podcast, asking the right questions, letting his guests speak... i guess he is a bit like Marc Maron in that respect.
    Rogan’s podcast is pretty good, his guests are from all walks of life, which keeps it fresh and interesting, and he has a good back and forth with them. His comedy is another story.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Neil Bergatze
    Holy shit, thanks for that typo!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Holy shit, thanks for that typo!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I just watched that Hannah Gadsby special on Netflix, fully anticipating to be let down after all of the hype surrounding it. But that was one of the most powerful and personally impactful pieces of art that I have ever experienced. I don't even really have words to express the appreciation I feel for what I just watched.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    newest Tom Segura special on Netflix kills. Dude is a master.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Rogan’s podcast is pretty good, his guests are from all walks of life, which keeps it fresh and interesting, and he has a good back and forth with them. His comedy is another story.
    I've seen a couple from him, and i'd have to agree. He's pretty funny but he does best on his podcast. Like he says he just has to show up his guests do the rest. (not shitting on him)

From that I ended up on a Stanhope youtube rabbit hole. He's not too bad. Now I'm on to Carlin.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 08-01-2018 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Iliza Schlesinger's "Elder Millennial" Netflix special is a killer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Stand Up

Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    Iliza Schlesinger's "Elder Millennial" Netflix special is a killer.
    I have to agree to this. I started watching it yesterday, I might finish it today.

Her impressions are really good, and i love her aproach about women’s behaviour around men. I wonder if a man could get away with the same level of honesty.

Nevertheless, I’ll be paying attention to her material.

I also really enjoyed the Sarah Silverman (is that her name?) special A Speck of Dust, she is hilarious.

I wasn’t very impressed with Ali Wong’s specials on Netflix (Baby Cobra i think, and something else)... the whole sexual thing has never been my cup of tea. Anyone can make jokes about eating buttholes, it’s (very) low-hanging fruit and boring, at the same level of Louis CK talking about masturbating a rat... humour for 9th graders.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i find the topic of female comics fascinating from a differing perspective as i do all professions that have a single gender domination
    -louie

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just got FRONT ROW seats to see Dave Cheppelle at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis and I'm so fucking pumped about it that I will tell anyone who will listen. Anyone else seeing Dave anytime soon? I've only been to a few stand-up comedy shows before – including Louis CK (before his fall from grace) and Jerry Seinfeld multiple times (he's my wife's favorite).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rumor is that Eddie Murphy is in talks for a comeback stand up special to the tune of $70 million.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Rumor is that Eddie Murphy is in talks for a comeback stand up special to the tune of $70 million.
    And there's almost no way it will be good. He would hopefully do literally years of smaller spots to get back in the swing of things, and even then...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    came across this old John Mulaney bit today on IG. Hilarious, and he looks like a fetus here:

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    The new Dave Chappelle Netflix special, Sticks And Stones, is a real fucking bummer. I didn’t laugh once. The three before this were a mixed bag at best, so I’m not surprised but still, it sucks.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    The new Dave Chappelle Netflix special, Sticks And Stones, is a real fucking bummer. I didn’t laugh once. The three before this were a mixed bag at best, so I’m not surprised but still, it sucks.
    Agree with you overall. I DID love the Jussie Smollett bit. That had me legit lol'ing. The rest though...man. He just punching down & if you're gonna go that route, it better be damn clever. And it's not. He's also waaayyyyy too hung up on any criticism he gets, and keeps talking about it. Stop bitching and just do your material if you feel it's strong that it shouldn't be criticized.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 09-02-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yeah, the new Dave Chappell was kind of strange.
    It seems like he's suddenly decided to be the like, new "extremely anti politically correct" cat, and it seems like it's sort of in response to the criticism he got for the couple of trans jokes.

Idk. It took some getting used to, and by the time i was starting to get used to it-him as the "shock guy," the show was almost over.

I still thought it was like, OKAY, but it's Dave Chappell ffs.
    I feel like he could, and should, do a lot better.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I loved it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I loved it.
    Don't get me wrong: I liked it, but, as I said: it took me time to get used to him being THAT transgressive, at THIS moment in time. I know he's been down this road before, mind you, but times have changed. Like, there's no way his tv show would be accepted in 2019.
    This one, yeah, it was funny. It just felt, to me, like he was a LITTLE more focused on making a statement than being funny.

It's got a 0% score on Rotten Tomatoes, literally, which, is pretty goddamn ironic. I'm 99% sure that's because he said shit he wasn't supposed to say.

Edit: @bobbie solo , did you not lol at the "4 tweets away from being perfect" bit?
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-03-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    It just came across way too “Angry old guy is angry because the world passed him by” and I thought he was sharper than that. It just wasn’t funny to me at all. I felt embarrassed for him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Good special for someone who has been at it as long as he has.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    For everyone who thought the new Dave Chappelle stand up was inappropriate and offensive - the new Bill Burr one TOPS that. Holy shit, lol.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    For everyone who thought the new Dave Chappelle stand up was inappropriate and offensive - the new Bill Burr one TOPS that. Holy shit, lol.
    Good. I can't wait to see it. Chappelle's was hilarious.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I didn't make it very far into his new special. Does it pick up? It felt like angry guy ranting but this time way less humorless. We get it Bill you don't like PC culture, guess what neither do most people. What else is new?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So, the reason Dave Chapelle's show had 0% is that they, for some reason, only let five people review it at first. Then, they opened it up to all reviews, and it's at like 98%.
    Interesting, the disconnect.
    Yeah, I'm pretty goddamn liberal, but some of that shit is just FUNNY, that Dave said.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    He's also waaayyyyy too hung up on any criticism he gets, and keeps talking about it. Stop bitching and just do your material if you feel it's strong that it shouldn't be criticized.
    Can you blame him? It must suck to be a comedian right now because it seems like not one comic can do a set now without worrying in the back of their mind if it's going to be their last because one person got offended by a joke that 99% of the audience laughed at, and because of that the offended person decides to go on a crusade to ruin that comedian's career.

People act like comedians are politicians trying to pass policies that will greatly affect their lives when in reality all they are attempting to do is make us laugh. When you go to a comedy show, you are choosing for those 90 minutes to live inside that comedian's head. It's not reality. It's not truth. It doesn't affect you one iota. All it is is, or at least it's supposed to be, an escape from reality. And you know what, if you don't agree with that person's perception? You leave or you change the channel. Simple as that. Comics are not malicious people. Most of them really just hate themselves, but at the end of the day, look at their profession. They are COMEDIANS. They are here to try to entertain and make us laugh.

And to put it plainly, comedy with rules/boundaries is not comedy. That's just my personal opinion.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Anyone checking out Mark Normand?
    His material is pretty good but it is more of the way he talks and acts that makes me interested.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Mark Normand is great. Like you said, his material isn't breaking any new ground but i love his kinda old school delivery & voice.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Nikki Glaser’s new special on Netflix, Bangin’, was quite funny.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    She's hilarious. And when someone called her Ann Coulter on the Alec Baldwin roast, I lost it.