Thread: The Poopy Diaper Vinyl Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Cool. CD people get fucked again. This has been my favorite band since 1994 so I’m not bitching here; I’d just love a physical release of what so far sounds like excellent score. How hard would it be to offer that option? It’s very frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    It's not that it's hard...it's just that not enough people buy them, unfortunately.
    Yeah, it costs a certain amount just to design and produce each physical medium. If there's not enough demand for multiple media, they're only going to make one, and when Trent's involved, it's going to be vinyl.

Out of curiosity, @Swykk, if NIN is your favorite band, and they've made a strong case for why they prefer their music to be experienced on vinyl, why haven't you embraced the medium?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Out of curiosity, @Swykk, if NIN is your favorite band, and they've made a strong case for why they prefer their music to be experienced on vinyl, why haven't you embraced the medium?
    In fairness, favorite band or not, there are some pretty significant entry barriers to the medium. Cost of the albums themselves, a decent player that won't ruin your collection, the rest of the setup to get the sound from your player to your ears. Storage considerations of the vinyl itself, a place to put your setup in your house. Not to mention it can be somewhat intimidating / overwhelming for some new to the medium. This isn't an argument against vinyl but I can understand why some haven't jumped in.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    In fairness, favorite band or not, there are some pretty significant entry barriers to the medium. Cost of the albums themselves, a decent player that won't ruin your collection, the rest of the setup to get the sound from your player to your ears. Storage considerations of the vinyl itself, a place to put your setup in your house. Not to mention it can be somewhat intimidating / overwhelming for some new to the medium. This isn't an argument against vinyl but I can understand why some haven't jumped in.
    all of that plus I usually listen to music while driving or moving around so 95% of the time I have headphones in. Until there's a portable record player I'm way happier with CDs that I can rip or audio files I can download.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Those are all excellent points.

However, if one buys a vinyl with a digital download, a CD isn't really needed. With the NIN related releases, you can also get a high quality FLAC or WAV download. One could listen to the files, and use the vinyl as the physical package.

What it boils down to is the CD potentially being a cheaper option, but it doesn't give you any benefits that the vinyl/digital package doesn't already have.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Yeah, it costs a certain amount just to design and produce each physical medium. If there's not enough demand for multiple media, they're only going to make one, and when Trent's involved, it's going to be vinyl.

I have spelled those reasons out on at least two occasions here. I’ll shorten it: space, my pre-existing collection, and hipsters’ “warmer sound” nonsensical rhetoric. I’m not interested in either conversion or arguing about which format is better or redundant.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-21-2019 at 12:27 PM.