Page 131 of 160 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Something I Can Never Have (NBK) is better than the album version
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I sort of agree. Not that it's too different, but the piano that's added at the end is fucking brilliant.
    i also feel like the film dialogue really works well

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    There is not a song on this planet that is better than album version SICNH..

Except maybe Hurt live w/ David Bowie..

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'd seriously love to hear an edit of SICNH without the dialogue but with the NBK ending added to the end.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'd seriously love to hear an edit of SICNH without the dialogue but with the NBK ending added to the end.
    Made just for you.

https://mega.nz/#F!tZ8SQKLA!OqAdJvBLQpfCroxoQ0Jcdg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    You're a fucking legend. This is perfect, thank you!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As disturbing as the Broken movie is, I can enjoy it as I would to a horror film that I'd actually enjoy. What I also liked about it, is that I've always associated violence and destruction with anger, aggression and power-tripping, especially when left unchecked/unrestrainted. It just seems to make a lot of sense to me in that particular context, especially when considering the lyrics and overall sound of Broken. It also seems to be one of the perfect movies to watch when enraged, as it has actually calmed me down and helped snap me back into reality. I can only speak for myself though, but it actually works for me.

This feels more like a confession though, but I thought that I'd post it here since Broken was discussed here a lot more, with the movie in and of itself being controversial, let alone the taboo of discussing violence even without graphic details. I have also wondered if this was one of Trent's ways of revealing some of the dark thoughts he's had regarding negative emotions, and/or just from simply observing the horrors of this world, including violence and destruction whether done with or without power-tripping and/or just plain sadistic and vengeful motives/urges/impulses/temptations. I was just reminded about this as well, because one of his interviews during The Downward Spiral era, he actually admitted that he wondered would it be like to kill, but also made sure to say that he obviously wouldn't go out and actually do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Reznor
    I’m not afraid to think about certain things you aren’t supposed to think about. I mean, I do wonder what it would be like to kill somebody, though I’m not going to do it. I don’t want to do it. But I know why people idolize serial killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Reznor
    I can make something loud, but how can I make it the loudest, noisiest, most abrasive thing I’ve ever heard? Can I go 10 steps past the goriest horror film you’ve ever seen in a way that’s more disturbing than cheesy? I know I can; I’ve done it. Peter Christopherson and I made a long-form video for Broken that was the most horrific thing you’ll ever see, but I didn’t put it out because I didn’t want to spend the next five years explaining the thing to every reporter I meet. It makes “Happiness in Slavery’ look like a Disney movie.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...o-death-48072/

It also fascinates me how, aside from death and loss, that violence has been a theme with Nine Inch Nails from that start at Down In It (And with yet even more of a buzz from the FBI investigation mentioned on Hard Copy.), and an actual release called Add Violence, with some of the music videos aside from Broken being a given. Although, with lyrics and themes of self-destructing and overall sound and stage-show as seen during 1994-1995 at the peak of it, it'll clearly come with the territory. Even now, it also still sometimes messes with my mind of Trent having videos where he as the main character has been killed or just set up to die. If anything, it seems like in some ways, he has also experienced some type of occasional morbid curiosity/fascination with violence every now and then, (Which makes even more sense when you're also reminded that a lot of his lyrics are also based on pain, suffering and death.) and how it affects individuals and societies as a whole on all scales/levels morally/ethically. If so, then I absolutely agree and understand where he's coming from.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-26-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Starfuckers, Inc is fucking awesome. Am I alone in this?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I never understood the hate for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Starfuckers was always my least favorite song from the fragile but i never hated it, seeing it live twice last year was great.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I never understood the hate for it.
    Me either. I don't remember if I have gone on this rant here already or on the NIN subreddit, but it's the lyrics I love. So often Trent's songs are vague enough that they could be about a number of things and could be interpreted any way you wanted to - but not this song.

He's very clearly pissed at somebody, and the lines he drops (calling somebody a shallow little bitch and an ass kisser etc.) are things a person would say in the heat of an argument. It feels real and visceral and I love it because it's not carefully crafted prose, it's just venom and bile which I think is fantastic. It does seem a BIT odd on The Fragile, but I like the song itself and enjoy it a lot.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The song is fun but it's not really clear what the fuck they were thinking with that music video. It suffers a bit from "Deep" syndrome in that respect.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It does stick out on the album because it feels like a (personal opinion incoming, brace yourself) rather lazy attempt at a hit single. It's not a bad song, but my least favorite track on the record for sure.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The song is fun but it's not really clear what the fuck they were thinking with that music video. It suffers a bit from "Deep" syndrome in that respect.
    Every time I think of the video for "Deep" I remember that behind the scenes clip where Trent was shaking off the dye and shrieking, and it makes me giggle. That's one thing I miss from the MTV era was all that "making of the video" style content that we used to get that isn't terribly common anymore.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The fact that Marilyn Manson co-directed the video should tell you what they were thinking with it. It's definitely more his style than Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The fact that Marilyn Manson co-directed the video should tell you what they were thinking with it. It's definitely more his style than Nine Inch Nails.
    Terrible idea on TR's part. I'm not a huge fan of Manson's, and can't say I've paid much attention to his music videos since, well, the 1990s... but this one didn't even remind me of those (particularly not Floria Sigismondi's beautiful and mysterious clips for Antichrist Superstar) so much as a tatty butt-rock video, complete with misogynistic overtones, and a few jump cuts thrown in to make it seem eerie — and that's not to mention the literal cheap shots at other artists. It's embarrassing to watch, now. I seem to remember Toronto's local video jock puppet curmudgeon, Ed the Sock, put it on his end-of-year Fromage round-up list of 2000's worst music videos... and even as a 14-year-old diehard NIN fan I couldn't really disagree with his assessment then that it came across as incredibly petty:

Last edited by botley; 07-24-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    The song is great, it just shouldn't have been on The Fragile. It just doesn't fit the rest of the record. Especially so close to the end. It sort of kills the emotional momentum for a second. But it's not bad by any means.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Terrible idea on TR's part. I'm not a huge fan of Manson's, and can't say I've paid much attention to his music videos since, well, the 1990s... but this one didn't even remind me of those (particularly not Floria Sigismondi's beautiful and mysterious clips for Antichrist Superstar) so much as a tatty butt-rock video, complete with misogynistic overtones, and a few jump cuts thrown in to make it seem eerie — and that's not to mention the literal cheap shots at other artists. It's embarrassing to watch, now.
    That's kind of the point though; the song was originally written as a stab at Manson. By the time it was released, they'd made up and weren't fueding anymore, so they made the video loaded with all the dumb cliches you just mentioned as a sort of acknowledgement of how Manson's own work was often perceived by mainstream culture. The whole thing is a joke, as intended.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I loved Starfuckers Inc from the first time I heard it on The Day The World Went Away single. After waiting for new NIN for 5 years it was a fun catchy song with an awesome beat, much more fun to listen to that summer than TDTWWA. Then the video came out and it was fun too, I loved Trent's look in it, and that it revealed him and Manson were working together again. I like that it's on The Fragile and it gives you a break from the much more bleak and serious songs. Whenever I would be shopping for a new stereo or car deck I would bring that song with me to make sure it would sound good and had decent bass on the stereo I was testing out.

Starfuckers Inc > any song on the last three EPs.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I forgot how terrible Bad Witch was. Holy crap what a terrible way to end such a great trilogy.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    It’s the lesser of the three but I love AOO and OAO.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Fixed > Broken

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    The song is great, it just shouldn't have been on The Fragile. It just doesn't fit the rest of the record. Especially so close to the end. It sort of kills the emotional momentum for a second. But it's not bad by any means.
    The decision to include it is odd, but it does sound weird to not hear that opening beat after "Please" ends.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    1. Add Violence
    2. Bad Witch
    3. NTAE

Add Violence has both This Isn't the Place and The Background World which are both in my top ten or so songs by the band. Bad Witch has Over and Out which is in that category as well. However, I think The Lovers is the most BORING track that TR has ever done. Not the Actual Events was cool, and the songs really come alive in a live setting. But I probably haven't listened to that one front to back since i listened to the trilogy front to back when Bad Witch came out.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 07-30-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I think The Lovers is the most BORING track that TR has ever done. Bad Witch has Over and Out which is in that category as well.
    I agree with this somewhat. I do quite like The Lovers, I just wish he did a little more with the lyrics in the chorus beyond repeating the same line. However, Over and Out just doesn't go anywhere at all; it just sort of happens and then fades away. That's probably the point, although it doesn't quite hit the right spot for me.

In spite of this, I applaud TRAR for being experimental and trying something new. I like this version of NIN where each track is completely different from the last and we don't know what to expect. As David Lynch said, I want new NIN to "make my hair stand on end".

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    However, I think The Lovers is the most BORING track that TR has ever done.
    How so?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    How so?
    Same repetitive beat, whispers, basic chorus. Nothing really happens with it. It's definitely the most boring live song for them since there's not much live stuff going on with it. I can't think of another NIN song where I legitimately thought it was boring.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I miss Trent's high-notes, I know there is nothing much that can be done, but they gave so much power to his aggressive music, With_Teeth is an album I cherish, for a lot of things, one of them being due to Trent's strong, raw vocal performance he has on it, he has never really come close to that level of performance since.

To add to this; With_Teeth's anger has always been the most effective for me, I won'tact like it is tha angriest record, but its more stripped down composition combined with very "in your face" lyricism (more than ever, even for NIN), makes it an incredibly carthatic listen which no other NIN album really comes close to. I am weirded out when people say that With_Teeth has no "teeth".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Fixed > Broken
    I have to say I enjoy it more now than I did back in the day. It makes for a good "companion" (as I think TR once called it) to Broken. I wouldn't say I like it better, but it's grown in stature with me.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Same repetitive beat, whispers, basic chorus. Nothing really happens with it.
    You should probably listen to the Song Exploder episode where Trent & Atticus break down the track, because there's a lot more going on in it than what you described. I mean, something like Zero-Sum strikes me as being more repetitive than The Lovers. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that The Lovers feels more dynamic than that.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 07-27-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    You should probably listen to the Song Exploder episode where Trent & Atticus break down the track, because there's a lot more going on in it than what you described. I mean, something like Zero-Sum strikes me as being more repetitive than The Lovers. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that The Lovers feels more dynamic than that.
    Yeah, I'll have to check that out. It sounds like there's alot underneath the layers, it just feels boring in execution to me. The beat is mega repetitive. And I'm not a fan of the tape recorder thing from the live shows.

I think Zero-sum is significantly more interesting than the Lovers. That may be due to the beat changing a bit in the chorus, the piano, the TR choir thing he does in the chorus is great too.