Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but the mp3s are tagged with lyrics. Haven't checked the other files types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, here are some obvious questions in the wake of the digital release:

1) Why 24/96 if the actual cutoff is 24/48? Were the tapes recorded at 24/48 but mastered at 24/96 for archival reasons? There is activity about 48 but nothing significant.

2) What is the cause of the peculiar spectrals in Too Late, All Gone? Is there a reason it was mastered from what appears to be a transcoded source?

3) Does Trent record to analog, master to analog, etc.? Basically, does he use analog recording tools when finalizing the music he's involved with?

4) Is the vinyl master significantly different from the digital master? Different mastering session for all the tracks?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The vinyl isn't out yet - but the fact the tracks are in a different order means there's probably SOME differences, even if minor

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but the mp3s are tagged with lyrics. Haven't checked the other files types.
    The 24-bit files do not have lyrics. They do have the same embedded artwork as the mp3s, though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'd like to buy the album on the HTDA site, but the system doesn't like my credit card for some reason. Am I right there is no PayPal option?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    How do ya find them? They don't seem to be in mine

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    How do ya find them? They don't seem to be in mine
    Normally, in a media player which can show every tag in a file (I use and recommend foobar2000), there is a tag called LYRICS. This is where The Slip and NiggyTardust had the embedded lyrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have lyrics embedded in the ALAC files, maybe just the FLAC doesn't have them?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nodylnai View Post
    I have lyrics embedded in the ALAC files, maybe just the FLAC doesn't have them?
    Probably. Well, that's ONE reason to buy Apple Lossless! *snicker*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unheard78 View Post
    Okay, here are some obvious questions in the wake of the digital release:

1) Why 24/96 if the actual cutoff is 24/48? Were the tapes recorded at 24/48 but mastered at 24/96 for archival reasons? There is activity about 48 but nothing significant.

2) What is the cause of the peculiar spectrals in Too Late, All Gone? Is there a reason it was mastered from what appears to be a transcoded source?

3) Does Trent record to analog, master to analog, etc.? Basically, does he use analog recording tools when finalizing the music he's involved with?

4) Is the vinyl master significantly different from the digital master? Different mastering session for all the tracks?
    I don't believe they would release this in 96/24 if they recorded it in 48/24 because it doesn't help anything. Just larger files. I believe they've recorded this in 96/24 or completely in analog so what we get is the maximum, non reduced quality on the lossless files and on vinyl there's of course no limitations on that.

The vinyl master most likely will be a bit different because there are certain stuff on vinyl mastering that you must keep an eye on. For example usually all the bass should be mono under 100hz (not sure about the frequency but anyway) and it can't be so loud on vinyl than on CD, otherwise it gets too distorted especially when the stylus is going near the middle. And of course there's those two extra tracks (+ Welcome oblivion and Ice age are in different order) so there might be some differences in the transitions.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    As I understand it, the unusual spectrum in Too Late, All Gone is actually the result of some effects by Tom Baker & Alan Moulder. They liked how the song sounded after this particular effect was applied, so they kept it. Rather than being a mastering mistake, or being MP3 sourced, it's actually quite intentional.

It's also something you'd never even notice if you listed with headphones instead of computer monitors.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Oh damn it. That's stupid. Why put it out in Apple Lossless if it won't even play on iDevices?
    I don't know, I think it's kind of silly to get worked up about not being able to play high quality audio on a portable media player. I think the idea is that you're typically going to be listening to the uber-high-fidelity versions in a controlled environment, to get the most out of those extra bits & extra herz!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Does anyone know of a good program that can encode the sample rate down to 24/48? I'd like to still get a lossless recording on my iPhone, I hate mp3 files.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Use XLD to encode the flac files to apple lossless. Apple lossless will play on your iphone no problem. Best you can get w/o mp3 on the Iphone.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Thanks to @nin64 's tip off, ninwiki now has full lyrics for WO (aside from the vinyl tracks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apple Lossless + embedded lyrics = AWESOME
    Apple Lossless + incompatible iPhone sample rate = NOT AWESOME

Seems somebody didn't think that one through to the end result. Bummer. Off to download again in MP3....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    IS THERE OR IS THERE NOT AN UNDERSCORE IN THE BAND NAME? Jesus, are they trying​ to confuse people?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    IS THERE OR IS THERE NOT AN UNDERSCORE IN THE BAND NAME? Jesus, are they trying​ to confuse people?
    How Long? in the file name but not track name is called How Long_. Rob is fucking with us, the band's real name is "Coil's first single"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    Does anyone know of a good program that can encode the sample rate down to 24/48? I'd like to still get a lossless recording on my iPhone, I hate mp3 files.
    If you're on a Mac, try out Max. Works great and has a simple interface.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think that's just because you can't save a file with a question mark in the title. I would like some clarification on the band name though. It looks like they've dropped it on all the site visuals too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    When I talk to my friends, I say : "I listen to How To Destroy Angels Underscore"
    They're like : "WOOO! You are such an awesome fan!"

(I'm probably late to the joke party)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It'd be pretty cool if they let people who bought presale tickets download the album. Just a thought.
    It'd be pretty cool if they let people buy presale tickets, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    As I understand it, the unusual spectrum in Too Late, All Gone is actually the result of some effects by Tom Baker & Alan Moulder. They liked how the song sounded after this particular effect was applied, so they kept it. Rather than being a mastering mistake, or being MP3 sourced, it's actually quite intentional.

It's also something you'd never even notice if you listed with headphones instead of computer monitors.
    Levi, do you have a source on that? (Just curious if there's any interviews on technical stuff, I'm a nerd for that.) Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just finished my first listen and I really love it, sounds fantastic with headphones. Pretty awesome that the lyrics show up on the screen when listening on my iPhone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally. I'm glad I only listened to the stream a couple times and waited to get it today. Sounds great.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    None of the flac files are actually 24/96. A spectral analysis clearly shows that they're transcodes from a much lower quality file. That has to be a mistake. It's a ton of wasted space.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Done with my first listen. I dig it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Loving it. A really cool record, well worth the wait and not a single weak track. I can't get enough of the title-track, Too Late and We Fade Away. Funnily enough, Strings and Attractors is probably the highlight for me, it's a little more soulful and slow-tempo. I really like how digital the sound is, quite a contrast to Dragon Tattoo, which felt more organic and instrument-lead. The more I listen to it, the more I think it feels quite distant from the 2010 EP; and whereas with that initial record the band felt quite intangible and undefined, now they're a project I feel quite passionate about. Damn good record!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Levi, do you have a source on that? (Just curious if there's any interviews on technical stuff, I'm a nerd for that.) Thanks!
    My source would be Tom Baker, via Rob Sheridan. I'm sure someone will ask the question during the upcoming Reddit AMA, maybe the answer will get reiterated there.
    @zecho when you say "much lower quality" you sound as though the FLACs are from 22khz 8-bit files. Is this the kind of thing you'd notice if you didn't run a spectral analysis?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    No, it's still flac, so it's still good quality. I'm absolutely fine with the quality, just not selling it as higher than it is. It takes up more disc space as well, and that's my primary concern.

Here's what Discipline looks like:

Here's what Welcome oblivion looks like:
    Last edited by zecho; 03-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Rob must've ran out of free kilobytes on that floppy drive. whatever. makes me more comfortable believing i'm getting the CD as optimal medium