Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playstation Thread

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, I was never really a fan of the "tuning orchestra" load opening for the PS3.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Nostalgia at it's finest. It brings me back to putting in my very first PS game which was Crash Bandicoot; Along with Twisted Metal and Jet Moto haha.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Nostalgia at it's finest. It brings me back to putting in my very first PS game which was Crash Bandicoot; Along with Twisted Metal and Jet Moto haha.
    Is it bad I still have all three of those games in physical form? Except I have Jet Moto 2.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Is it bad I still have all three of those games in physical form? Except I have Jet Moto 2.
    Not at all. I actually envy you for still having them since I sold all of my old hardware years ago. I also remember those three games being greatest hits soon after the time they came out? Unless I am remembering wrong.

Ha!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I got my psx at christmas 1997.. with Micro Machines v3 and Crash Bandicoot 2.. I still play both fairly regularly.. admittedly v3 on the n64 and Crash 2 via the PS-store... I loved that system to death (to the point where it had to be upside-down and smacked before it would load anything).. what a console. Got a PS2 on launch day in the UK too, with Timesplitters and Dead or Alive 2, again.. classic stuff but I have to say aside from titles that have had the HD remake treatment, it doesn't get much love, mostly because a lot of the games I still own are massive JRPGs I know my wife and I will never finish..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New PS4 article with a bunch of new info.

Big points:

- November 2013 release all but confirmed.
    - Two models planned for the new machine, pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. $429 and $529, but that could change.
    - You'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine.
    - "Most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.
    - PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Being that we pretty much know everything about this thing already i really hope we get to see the next gen games tomorrow. Based on rumors this might be the only next gen console i get...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing
    no fucking thank you

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah that's just bizarre on so many levels.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    and screw making basic online play require a paid subscription. Fuck you Microsoft for setting that precedent, and fuck you Sony for jumping on board. I subscribe to PS+ because it's worth it, not because my system is gimped without it.

I'm really hoping this recent info turns out to be false. I guess we'll find out tomorrow

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Hmm... its probably not as creepy as it sounds. So far rumors imply this thing is so much less orwellian than its microsoft counterpart.

It reads like you log in and have the option if watching me play Ni No kuni with my balls hanging out, but its probably just a feed of the game. Its probably consensual too...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    "I can't wait to control my playstation with my phone!" said nobody ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Hmm... its probably not as creepy as it sounds. So far rumors imply this thing is so much less orwellian than its microsoft counterpart.

It reads like you log in and have the option if watching me play Ni No kuni with my balls hanging out, but its probably just a feed of the game. Its probably consensual too...
    I'm sure you can opt out of it, it just sounds incredibly misguided and pointless.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    "I can't wait to control my playstation with my phone!" said nobody ever.

I'm sure you can opt out of it, it just sounds incredibly misguided and pointless.
    Wouldn't it be more akin to watching a "Let's Play" walkthrough in a way though? i mean if it was planned and your buddy just said start watching my stream now to check such and such out and maybe you could also hear their commentary.

It could be an interesting feature if implemented right.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Wouldn't it be more akin to watching a "Let's Play" walkthrough in a way though? i mean if it was planned and your buddy just said start watching my stream now to check such and such out and maybe you could also hear their commentary.

It could be an interesting feature if implemented right.
    Sure. I've definitely been very wrong about this sort of thing in the past, so maybe it'll turn out to be more interesting and useful than it seems.

I'm more concerned about the subscription requirement for online (if that turns out to be the case). I'd pay for it, and I guess I already am in a way because I already subscribe to PLUS, but I know that some of my friends are NOT going to go along with it, and I'll basically just have fewer people to play with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm not going to pay for an online play service, I've already started my transition to PC gaming, if these details are true that's just going to further cement that I won't be buying this system.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I really hope it doesn't come down to having to pay for online services from now on. This alone is one of the top two reasons anyone even buys a PS3 to begin with including myself so if Sony goes through with this they might as well give up the race now.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: The Playstation Thread

I don't understand why not paying a cheap yearly subscription fee is such a hassle to the PS community.

I always thought the ps3 online was complete trash compared to Xbox. You got what you paid for.

I'm all for a subscription plan if that is what it takes for the PlayStation to finally have a great online experience.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    It's just never made sense to me, I'm already paying a fucking monthly $60 bill for the internet..... to do it TWICE just to unlock the ability to use the SAME fucking internet connection that I'm already paying for is ridiculous.

Could imagine constantly paying to unlock Steam every so many months or what have you....for use toward your games, an application that uses an existing connection on a PC THAT YOU'RE ALREADY FUCKING PAYING FOR?

I will never support such bullshit.

Just wait till consoles start to have activation and hidden fees like cell phones, i will unsub from everything if that happens. Corporate greed, that's all it is.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 02-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's just never made sense to me, I'm already paying a fucking monthly $60 bill for the internet..... to do it TWICE just to unlock the ability to use the SAME fucking internet connection that I'm already paying for is ridiculous.

Could imagine constantly paying to unlock Steam every so many months or what have you....for use toward your games, an application that uses an existing connection on a PC THAT YOU'RE ALREADY FUCKING PAYING FOR?

I will never support such bullshit.

Just wait till consoles start to have activation and hidden fees like cell phones, i will unsub from everything if that happens. Corporate greed, that's all it is.
    Yeah, because fuck a business for trying to make money. Speak with your wallet if it upsets you this much.

Hopefully current PS Plus subscriptions will just roll over if they do decide to charge for online.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I always thought the ps3 online was complete trash compared to Xbox. You got what you paid for.
    People say this sort of thing, and I have no idea what they're talking about. The PS3's online is fine, and aside from that one time that hackers took it down for a while, I've never really had a problem.

How exactly is PSN trash?

Besides, there's no guarantee that the profits from a subscription service would necessarily be directed towards improving the online network. Sony could very well pocket the profits and redirect it to a completely different department. Even if you think Xbox Live is better than PSN, you can't really justify the claim that it's because they charge for it. You don't have to pay to play online on your PC, so is it therefore "trash?" It's business, and I understand that. I'll pay to play online if I have to, but I sure as hell am not going to be happy about it or try to justify why that's a good thing for me for some reason.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-19-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Becoming View Post
    Yeah, because fuck a business for trying to make money.
    I'm sorry did i not just buy their $600 fucking device to begin with?

I swear people have this masochistic nature toward being milked for every dime they have and don't believe in standing up for anything.

You want to continue to see bullshit like on-disc DLC and shady practices of that nature then be my guest, continue paying into the system and see where it gets you.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 02-19-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sorry did i not just buy their $600 fucking device to begin with?

I swear people have this masochistic nature toward being milked for every dime they have and don't believe in standing up for anything.

You want to continue to see bullshit like on-disc DLC and shady practices of that nature then be my guest, continue paying into the system and see where it gets you.
    I'll be completely honest with you, money is not an issue with me when it comes to console gaming. I've never had an issue with Sony and their business practices. I understand fully that people are tight on cash these days. I was there at one point, but Sony doesn't owe you or me a damn thing. Like I said before, if you're upset by this, speak with your wallet. The only way to be heard is by doing just that.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Regardless, Robin Hood must have took a trek through Sony.. just got a free $10 voucher. Most likely due to tomorrow's announcement.

Anyone else?

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments...t_for_the_psn/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Having a free online network should be a thing that everyone likes... especially because having a functioning online network is essential to your system being something that people want to buy (with money).

Here's the problem. Sony probably would have held to that "free is a good thing" business model if the Microsoft fans didn't try to justify paying for it. It blows my fucking mind, and I'm still waiting to hear why "PSN is trash." However, Microsoft somehow proved that not only could they charge people a monthly fee, but their users would exhibit gratitude for it and claim it's the reason their online service is better. MEANWHILE THEY NEVER EXPLAIN EXACTLY HOW THE SERVICE IS BETTER BECAUSE IT REALLY ISN'T. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. Do you people honestly think Sony has not put tons of money into how to compete with Xbox Live? Do you REALLY think they require money from a monthly subscription in order to justify making their online network competitive?

And here we go, the new lame version of the PSN store. It sucks and everyone hates it, but whatever, it's not worth getting excited about... right? but it looks more like Xbox LIve, and it has just as many ads! Thanks a lot guys!

People say things like "dude, Xbox Live is so much better because I pay for it" and astonishingly, this form of discourse isn't laughed at. I don't get lag, I have never had matches or games disconnect. What are you people talking about?! PSN is fine, and it's free. Free is better than paying, so please explain why what you're paying for is so much better, and for the the love of whatever, be specific, because I'm sick of seeing people say "it just is." And yes, I get what I pay for, and I paid for the system, so I get online gameplay, which is dependent mostly upon the servers for the games, and I'm ok with not paying for that because it makes complete sense. The companies that choose to close their online servers for their games don't keep the Xbox ones online.

Please STOP defending Microsoft here. You guys are fucking it up for the rest of us.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-20-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Having a free online network should be a thing that everyone likes... especially because having a functioning online network is essential to your system being something that people want to buy (with money).

Here's the problem. Sony probably would have held to that "free is a good thing" business model if the Microsoft fans didn't try to justify paying for it. It blows my fucking mind, and I'm still waiting to hear why "PSN is trash." However, Microsoft somehow proved that not only could they charge people a monthly fee, but their users would exhibit gratitude for it and claim it's the reason their online service is better. MEANWHILE THEY NEVER EXPLAIN EXACTLY HOW THE SERVICE IS BETTER BECAUSE IT REALLY ISN'T. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. Do you people honestly think Sony has not put tons of money into how to compete with Xbox Live? Do you REALLY think they require money from a monthly subscription in order to justify making their online network competitive?

And here we go, the new lame version of the PSN store, that sucks and everyone hates it, but whatever, it's not worth getting excited about... but it looks more like Xbox LIve, and it has just as much ads! Thanks a lot guys!

People say things like "dude, Xbox Live is so much better because I pay for it" and astonishingly, this form of discourse isn't laughed at. I don't get lag, I have never had matches or games disconnect. What are you people talking about?! PSN is fine, and it's free. Free is better than paying, so please explain why what you're paying for is so much better, and for the the love of whatever, be specific, because I'm sick of seeing people say "it just is." And yes, I get what I pay for, and I paid for the system, so I get online gameplay, which is dependent mostly upon the servers for the games, and I'm ok with not paying for that because it makes complete sense. The companies that choose to close their online servers for their games don't keep the Xbox ones online.

Please STOP defending Microsoft here. You guys are fucking it up for the rest of us.
    Agree with all of this.

I really dont want to pay for online, especially one that shows basically no fucking difference whatsoever. You know how to not get lag and drop matches on PSN? Get good internet.

I pay for enough [expensive] shit as it is. The console itself, plus an extra controller which is $65, then the games themselves which is another $65. I really shouldn't have to pay for online.

Regardless, Robin Hood must have took a trek through Sony.. just got a free $10 voucher. Most likely due to tomorrow's announcement.

I just logged onto my PS3 just a few minutes ago and got a message from Sony giving me $10. Cool shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, uh, I've played a good chunk of online games on the PS3 and have had little to no issue. Also, I don't have to pay to have Netflix on my TV with the PS3, which I would have to with an XBox. There's pretty much no sensible rationalization for XBox live. These companies are already making billions on us, and paying shit minimum wage or less to chinese workers to make their parts, you can't logically justify it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury View Post
    Yeah, uh, I've played a good chunk of online games on the PS3 and have had little to no issue. Also, I don't have to pay to have Netflix on my TV with the PS3, which I would have to with an XBox. There's pretty much no sensible rationalization for XBox live. These companies are already making billions on us, and paying shit minimum wage or less to chinese workers to make their parts, you can't logically justify it.
    Exactly i mean don't get me wrong, I'm not some brat that thinks they're entitled to everything under the sun but i like things reasonable for the average being and i am morally for everyone getting their due, everyone needs to eat but these corporations have been in the game god damn long enough, I'm pretty sure they can afford to pay their workers and make sure those under their employment are satisfied it's absolutely no excuse, it shouldn't ALWAYS have to be up to us especially when businesses like these clearly have a lot of show for themselves. Anything else is just plain greed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I barely play online games at all.. a few co-op ones now n then, but competative multiplayer just does not do it for me most of the time.. I pay for Plus as its a great great service, not just for the 'free' games (that I rarely play) but more for the cloud storage on Vita and PS3. If they keep plus the way it is, but roll in more features, I can't see how that is bad, particularly with all the 'cloud streaming' gaikai stuff thats been rumored But thats exactly what these things are, rumors, sure some may be right, but take most things with a pinch of salt until tonight.
    In other news, I'm totally pumped to see some GAMES tonight. subscription or not, its the games I'll wanna play, not the hardware.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    oh man this multicam editor is a fucking jackass. Cutting to multiple angles of the screen during the video presentation, THAT'S WHAT WE WANT TO SEE. wtf?