Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mortal Kombat - third film to be shot in Australia

South Australia, to be precise, with James Wan producing it:

https://indaily.com.au/news/2019/05/14/289608/

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www..../1100-6480062/

"They did not hold back," an actor on the movie says, as writer adds that the movie will earn its R-rating.

The upcoming Mortal Kombat movie from Warner Bros. is apparently going to feature the franchise's trademark gruesome fatalities without anything held back. Actor Lewis Tan, who plays an unspecified character in the movie, told GameSpot sister site ComicBookthat some of the fatality sequences that he saw on set made him sick to his stomach.
    "Let me just say this, there were some days on set that I felt sick. I'm not kidding," Tan said. "They did not... They did not hold back."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Who knows when we'll see this film. They announced a week or so ago everything has come to a stopping halt until covid is over... Whenever that will be.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    It's unrelated to the first two films, incidentally.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: Early looks at the leaked script - the terrible, terrible leaked script - seem to indicate the movie is about an original character named Cole Turner and nobody who still loves MK is happy about it.

The R rating doesn't matter much to me; we'll get a bunch of gore, sure, but if the movie doesn't concern MK characters I could give a rat's ass about it.

(MK is something I've always loved. I've got a frighteningly large amount of knowledge about the series :P)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    It's unrelated to the first two films, incidentally.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: Early looks at the leaked script - the terrible, terrible leaked script - seem to indicate the movie is about an original character named Cole Turner and nobody who still loves MK is happy about it.

The R rating doesn't matter much to me; we'll get a bunch of gore, sure, but if the movie doesn't concern MK characters I could give a rat's ass about it.

(MK is something I've always loved. I've got a frighteningly large amount of knowledge about the series :P)
    This is very underwhelming to hear. Did they start up production or filming at all? I could have sworn they announced everything was postponed.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    This is very underwhelming to hear. Did they start up production or filming at all? I could have sworn they announced everything was postponed.
    They finished filming last December, so it's been in postproduction. No idea if they finished work on it or not.

There were a few set pictures that had cardboard cutouts of the likes of Nitara and Reiko visible circulating. That kind of thing should make me happy, but my gut tells me they're in there to have a five-second cameo before someone rips them in half.

I get a real Wolverine Origins/Bayformers vibe about this whole thing, like it's going to be the characters in name only. :/

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    That really sucks to hear. The og characters is what people care about. What I want is a feature length Sub-Zero vs Scorpion film like the one from that web series but done with the production value of Crouching Tiger or Hero, maybe with a little Kill Bill thrown in. Now that would be epic.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    How can they fuck this up after Annihilation which was the biggest fuck up in film history?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    How can they fuck this up after Annihilation which was the biggest fuck up in film history?
    Hey, at least it had a bad-ass soundtrack.
    That soundtrack was my introduction to Rammstein. So... thank you MK: Annihilation.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    That soundtrack was my introduction to Rammstein. So... thank you MK: Annihilation.
    I used to refer the MK and MK:A soundtracks as TVT/WaxTrax sampler albums...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yes! And Orbital, and KMFDM, and Type O Negative, and Psykosonik... taste-defining soundtracks.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    They finished filming last December, so it's been in postproduction. No idea if they finished work on it or not.

There were a few set pictures that had cardboard cutouts of the likes of Nitara and Reiko visible circulating. That kind of thing should make me happy, but my gut tells me they're in there to have a five-second cameo before someone rips them in half.

I get a real Wolverine Origins/Bayformers vibe about this whole thing, like it's going to be the characters in name only. :/
    Ugh. Yea, one of the actors on Twitter was boasting about the gore and that he got sick a few times from it. I'll take that with a grain of salt, but I want more than just mindless blood and gore and give us something with some more substance.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Both of those sound tracks shaped my impressionable middle school mind

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Those soundtracks are almost singlehandedly responsible for my music tastes for the last 25 years

Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I give Annihilation this: It's bad, but it's fun, campy bad. The actors tried, bless 'em. You can watch it with friends and drinks and have a great time. And it tried to tell MK3's story, which is a daunting prospect considering enough happens in that game to fill an HBO miniseries

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea... For some reason I find myself watching Annihilation whenever it comes on. I rememeber seeing it in theaters when it came out and was so pissed how they handled Rain and Ermac.. Those costumes!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    There's still a charm in how bizarre it is. And the original hold up pretty well for him with is.

One of my mom's friends wrote Annihilation, I met him at an Easter party and when I told him I was a fan he basically immediately apologized, and said essentially the studio just handed him a list of characters that all had to be jammed onto the movie no matter what, and that made things especially difficult. I was nice to him though, I don't hate the movie. It's still fun.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I totally thought that was Paul Rudd as Raiden in this picture. LOL.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    They got Steve Harvey too?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Well, I'll say this: It's really, really nice to see Kung Lao in live action looking proper for the first time ever.

Jax...really gives me a Steve Harvey vibe...

Last edited by Shadaloo; 01-15-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    They got Steve Harvey too?

I thought it was Gordon from Sesame Street.
    Last edited by imail724; 01-15-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pretty wild the guy directing this has essentially no other credits to his name. He directed some 1 minutes short in 2014 and that's literally it. No writing credits, no producing, nothing. Just that short and this film.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2585406/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    At first glance the stills look good enough I guess, but the summary says the lead character is a new character invented for the movie? That's an idea that absolutely everyone should have shut down on site. It's a gaping hole that will sink this ship. It's profoundly stupid. Setting aside that mk games currently basically look better than actual movies and have more engaging narratives.

So disappointing.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ I legit said "Oh... No..." out loud when I read about the new character. And his name..... *Barf*.

I'm trying to leave me expectations at the door, but I love MK so much I'm hoping it's just ok at this point. The screenshots look like a well produced Netflix film instead is a feature film. We'll see!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    At first glance the stills look good enough I guess, but the summary says the lead character is a new character invented for the movie? That's an idea that absolutely everyone should have shut down on site. It's a gaping hole that will sink this ship. It's profoundly stupid. Setting aside that mk games currently basically look better than actual movies and have more engaging narratives.

So disappointing.
    It may pan out for the best. Remember that random unknown fighter who died at the hands of Goro in the 1995 film?

Also, I wonder why they are making Nitara a central character? She hasn’t been in any recent game storylines either. (She’s the “vampire” character, not to be confused with Skarlet).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    His name was Art Lean. Why is this bit of trivia engraved in my brain? Who knows?! He wasn't a central character. He wasn't a PoV character. And the rest of that movie has gone enough casting and pacing, and ultimately in retrospect is kind of perfect for what it is. It wins on embracing it's campiness. Will this take a similar approach.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Yes! And Orbital, and KMFDM, and Type O Negative, and Psykosonik... taste-defining soundtracks.
    Even Joseph Bishara (the composer/ghost-playing dude for the Insidious and Conjuring movies) got his start in a slot in the MK:A soundtrack.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea, Art wasn't a main character like this dude Cole is going to be. Hey, at least the actor is part Asian and we aren't get a Streets of Rage character instead.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Yea, Art wasn't a main character like this dude Cole is going to be. Hey, at least the actor is part Asian and we aren't get a Streets of Rage character instead.
    Since James Wan is involved, maybe it’s a big twist and it ends up being another character well-known from MK lore coming into the fold from a different angle?