Thread: Favorite NIN artwork

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Favorite NIN artwork

I really like the aesthetics of this series of 2006 live shows posters, they're kind of a mix between WT and YZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Looking at them, I can't imagine the Broken art being pictures of Trent at all. The sleeve design (incl. photography) is credited to Gary Talpas, as well.

If you ask me, it looks like a close up shot of, like, silk sheets with an orange filter over it. A bit like this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

fucking this. it's such a strong visual statement and says a 1000 words tbh. almost like a painting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post

fucking this. it's such a strong visual statement and says a 1000 words tbh. almost like a painting.
    I love it too, is this the only album artwork where Trent actually appears? It makes it seem even more personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Not that it really matters, but did we ever figure out whose arm that is? I've always liked to think it's Trent's own hand, shopped onto his shoulder. Like the pieces of who he was coming to drag him down, make him slip.
    It's Alessandro Cortini's arm, source: nin.wiki as said by modwheelmood in a Japanese interview

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I love it too, is this the only album artwork where Trent actually appears? It makes it seem even more personal.
    It's the only album cover Trent is on, yes. He has only ever been on the inside of the booklet for PHM, and the inside of the CD case for WT.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The artwork on Year Zero and YZR was perhaps the closest we ever got to seeing a depiction of the dystopian future of the concept (the blurry, glitchy ARG videos weren't as eye-popping, as they aimed for raw realism). Most of the art was made by Matthew Santoro, a visual effects artist who used to work at Hydraulx and is now making a movie of his own called Higher Power (it's not the YouTube star of the same name, but their IMDb credits are all mixed up).
    Right, so, I spoke with the IMDb admins and they rectified the situation. This is now the proper page for Year Zero artist Matthew Charles Santoro. Again, very little is known about this guy's work. I haven't seen his contributions being brought up in any Year Zero conversations. The art of Rob, Russell Mills, David Carson and Gary Talpas has been discussed to death, but this guy's art? He made one of the most memorable NIN covers ever, bringing to the YZ concept the blockbuster-like quality that it aimed for.

BEHOLD. OBEY THE PRESENCE.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    The only Sheridan ones are the in-studio ones, I thought?

There's a bunch here: http://phillipgraybill.com/music-boo...nch-nails/NIN/
    Sorry for digging up the thread but wow I didn't know those pictures were made this way. And there's a lot that were not released with the album. Those are all gorgeous. thank you.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My favorite NIN artwork is anything from the Year Zero era. Amazing stuff that helped draw me into becoming a NIN fan.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    While I already mentioned The Fragile, I think just as far as the front album cover art alone goes, Pretty Hate Machine turns out to be my most favorite, since The Fragile got my vote as far as cover art, both inside and out. Anyway, I also still can't decide between the original version and the remastered version. I just love both of them equally.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-22-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I never quite grasped the idea behind changing that cover so much - shift colours, turn it 90 degrees, text in capitals... meh

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I never quite grasped the idea behind changing that cover so much - shift colours, turn it 90 degrees, text in capitals... meh
    If you'd never read Rob Sheridan's notes about that, they're super fascinating (IMO) - http://www.nin.wiki/Pretty_Hate_Machine#Artwork

The short version is that the original artwork didn't exist anymore, so they had to completely recreate it from scratch anyway, which led to various new creative decisions being available. Regardless of whether you like the remaster design or not, that link's got a lot of info about the process that went into it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, i read that before and still it looks like the final thing could benefit from even more adventurous approach

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think it's one of the best cases of changing the art for a remaster ever. It's immediately recognizable without being exactly the same, it updates the cover to match the darker palettes of the band's future albums, and it's not ugly. I don't think it gets much better than that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This might belong in the controversial NIN opinions thread, but I definitely prefer the remastered PHM artwork. I think Rob & Trent improved on the original cover and made it even better. The colors of the original looks pretty dated to my eyes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    This might belong in the controversial NIN opinions thread, but I definitely prefer the remastered PHM artwork. I think Rob & Trent improved on the original cover and made it even better. The colors of the original looks pretty dated to my eyes.
    When I was first introduced to PHM I only listened to and saw the artwork for the remastered version. I was so confused when I finally took note of the original artwork, thinking my boyfriend who showed it to me was playing a joke on me. I didnt think it was possible that the PHM album was supposed to look so bright for being NIN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    The colors of the original looks pretty dated to my eyes.
    I definitely agree. The cover of most NIN albums are fairly timeless and look like they could be from anything, but original PHE just screams "1980's album" to me, especially with that rippled "effect" put over it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Favorite nin art work... all the content that Alex over at 42Entertainment has put together as Bottom Of The Pyram1d. His work is sick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Hesitation Marks era artwork is pretty sweet, the deluxe edition cover is my favourite piece. The bright orange with the cracks and the cropped NIN logo looks so awesome.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Wait, deluxe edition cover is not orange, it's black and dark red...

one of my favourite too
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 11-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Wait, deluxe edition cover is not orange, it's black and dark red...
    I believe he was referring to the iTunes artwork with the fishing lures:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I am having no luck citing my source here. Anyone able to lend a hand? @Leviathant? @Lt. Randazzo? @allegro? @Malechite? @sheepdean? One of y'all with ungodly NIN-related knowledge?At some point in the 1990s, I could swear I read something that said that the cover art for Broken (and, in turn, Fixed) was assembled by cutting up a picture of Trent and arranging it so it looked like flames. I cannot find any reference to this online at the moment. Because I was able to find it in the '90s, before I had an internet connection and everything in the world was archived, I think it was an interview from a reasonably major publication, but I could be wrong.

Until now, it never even occurred to me to question the legitimacy of this interview or document (assuming it does actually exist), but given twenty years of perspective (i.e., Impossible Pain) on the weird shit people lie about, since I'm having trouble even finding it, I'm definitely curious.
    Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate I will feel like a bit of an ass if I've been telling people this for decades (you know, because it comes up super often) and it's been untrue.
    what is your question exactly
    dont say i am not looking
    Last edited by rossi123; 01-22-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I don't know why I didn't post these sooner, but these pictures are also some of my most favorite artwork from Year Zero due to my constant fascination and even obsession of the connection between religion and politics. The one that combines a cross with a gun is also my ultimate favorite as a result, as it just said it all to me.

I also thought that this was just a rather nice touch to it as well.