Page 116 of 122 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Well, after almost two years of successfully avoiding it, I might have Covid. Thankfully my symptoms are pretty mild. Getting tested in the morning and will hopefully know for sure by the weekend. Not happy about it, but glad I got vaccinated, as I know it could be much worse.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

all the best tweets say something to the effect of "of course he's taking ivermectin, he's a horse's ass / jackass"

but also:

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well, after almost two years of successfully avoiding it, I might have Covid. Thankfully my symptoms are pretty mild. Getting tested in the morning and will hopefully know for sure by the weekend. Not happy about it, but glad I got vaccinated, as I know it could be much worse.
    A coworker who was vaccinated got covid last night and it's kicking his butt so good luck.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    A coworker who was vaccinated got covid last night and it's kicking his butt so good luck.
    I just got the moderna booster 2 hours ago and all I see in the news is it doesn't work against Omni. They're also saying everyone in the country is going to get it now. I guess its still better to get it vaxxed than unvaxxed.

Hope everyone in here and their families dealing with it get through it ok.

Sometimes, just...fuck this world.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I just got the moderna booster 2 hours ago and all I see in the news is it doesn't work against Omni. They're also saying everyone in the country is going to get it now. I guess its still better to get it vaxxed than unvaxxed.

Hope everyone in here and their families dealing with it get through it ok.

Sometimes, just...fuck this world.
    Delta is still out there so if people figure they're going to get omicron & let their guard down it could become more of an issue. Moderna does work on that one.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Delta is still out there so if people figure they're going to get omicron & let their guard down it could become more of an issue. Moderna does work on that one.
    Oh of course. And they are also seemingly still very effective at preventing death even with omicron. Even if we all do have to have it, there's not a chance I would want to get it without the vax based on all the data.

All that said, getting that booster had me really reflecting on these last two years. And it'll be another 2 or 3 before there's any chance of society seeming normal again and that's just the most optimistic estimate. And then there's the coming economic shocks. It'll eventually pass but not without drastically altering the last few prime years of my life. It's got me thinking what might have been if it never happened. Who I'd have met, where I'd have gone, what could have been etc.

Very appropriate this was one of the last tracks of 2019

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I just ordered 4 free home test kits from the US government. Here's the link for people in the US:

https://www.covidtests.gov/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    After MPs wiped the floor with him last week, Boris Johnson announced that England is dropping all Covid restrictions and mask mandates.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60047438

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    good lord smh

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    After MPs wiped the floor with him last week, Boris Johnson announced that England is dropping all Covid restrictions and mask mandates.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60047438
    we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas.gif is getting the dead horse treatment with Covid and politicians.

Last edited by allegate; 01-19-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Talking about long COVID.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.6323751

I am hoping that what defines "fully vaccinated" isn't a moving goal post where in 5-10 years we need 17 vaccines to be "fully vaccinated".

"I have vaccines 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18. I can go inside the Walmart but not inside McDonald's or the vision center"

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I'm supposed to get shot #4 next month. My doctor said to wait until March as both Pfizer & Moderna have new boosters coming out then.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.6323751

I am hoping that what defines "fully vaccinated" isn't a moving goal post where in 5-10 years we need 17 vaccines to be "fully vaccinated".

"I have vaccines 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18. I can go inside the Walmart but not inside McDonald's or the vision center"
    I don't think it'll end up like that, but it will probably become a yearly thing just like a flu shot. Unfortunately, COVID is here to stay.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's the freedom to die in pain and leave your family with funeral and hospital bills out the ass! Freedom! America! Death death death!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I don't think it'll end up like that, but it will probably become a yearly thing just like a flu shot. Unfortunately, COVID is here to stay.
    What's worrisome is that the European Medicines Agency, which is our EU counterpart wrt health, recently stated that too many boosters, too soon, could permanently damage immune systems.

BUT, they still suggest that people with compromised immune systems get all four shots.

I. Do. Not. Fucking. Understand.

I do know one thing, though: the politicization of this thing is...well, it makes me lose faith in humanity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Always talk to your doctor, and if you don't trust the opinion or you're skeptical get a second opinion.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What's worrisome is that the European Medicines Agency, which is our EU counterpart wrt health, recently stated that too many boosters, too soon, could permanently damage immune systems.

BUT, they still suggest that people with compromised immune systems get all four shots.

I. Do. Not. Fucking. Understand.

I do know one thing, though: the politicization of this thing is...well, it makes me lose faith in humanity.
    Immune response is incredibly complicated — it's one of the least-understood functions in biology. But the EMA was saying administering a booster vaccine every 4 months is probably not a good idea, and that's likely true for most people if they produce antibodies at the expected rate — which wouldn't be the case with a compromised immune system.

For the general population, as long as the virus continues mutating and spawning new variants, we will likely need a yearly shot tailored to specific new mutations. We already do this every year with flu shots.
    Last edited by botley; 01-23-2022 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm afraid my mom has this "long covid" going on. She's been sick as fuck for five or six months. She's insanely exerted from getting up to use the bathroom, or get coffee, and she also has sore throat, headache

She's ALSO tested positive for (supposedly different strains of) influenza 4 times.
    She did have covid last winter, though.

That also creates the possibility that my wife and I have already had it, as we WERE pretty sick. I didn't lose my sense of smell, though.

ANYWAY, she's scared she's gonna fucking die. She sees a pulmonologist on 2-15, and hopefully something comes of that.
    One of my friends who had quite similar symptoms told me she got better with steroids, so maybe that will help my mom, too.

Right now, though, we're fucking worried about her, and she's losing her mind. She just doesn't get better.

Edit: @botley , I'm learning first hand about immune response issues with this damn RA. You never know what's going to happen next, the doctors disagree- it sucks.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-23-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I know a guy who used to work in pandemic preparedness, and he gave me a roadmap for this thing over a year ago. At the time, I thought he was being too pessimistic, but I believe him now. He said 3-5 years (from start to end) before we're really "back to normal", so to speak.

He said we'd get our first vaccines in 2021 (check), and that it would probably look like it was over through the summer, but that in the fall, it'd mutate and get around our vaccines (check). He said the vaccines wouldn't stop us from getting sick, but would prevent us from needing to be hospitalized in such high numbers (check). He said we'd get a booster in fall 2021/winter 2022 (check). He said to expect another booster and another mutation 6-9 months after that (so late 2022/early 2023), but that once it's mutated that much, our current vaccines will be much less effective because we're fighting something significantly different than what our vaccines were designed to handle.

He said to expect another, new vaccine in early 2023 that's tailored to whatever hits us in the fall, and that one will pretty much end it for us here. It'll still be years rolling it out to the less wealthy nations, but in wealthier countries we could be pretty much back to normal at that point.
    Last edited by M1ke; 01-23-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm afraid my mom has this "long covid" going on. She's been sick as fuck for five or six months. She's insanely exerted from getting up to use the bathroom, or get coffee, and she also has sore throat, headache

She's ALSO tested positive for (supposedly different strains of) influenza 4 times.
    She did have covid last winter, though.

That also creates the possibility that my wife and I have already had it, as we WERE pretty sick. I didn't lose my sense of smell, though.

ANYWAY, she's scared she's gonna fucking die. She sees a pulmonologist on 2-15, and hopefully something comes of that.
    One of my friends who had quite similar symptoms told me she got better with steroids, so maybe that will help my mom, too.

Right now, though, we're fucking worried about her, and she's losing her mind. She just doesn't get better.

Edit: @botley , I'm learning first hand about immune response issues with this damn RA. You never know what's going to happen next, the doctors disagree- it sucks.
    Finally found out what was going on with my fiancee, and that it is unfortunately Guillain-Barre syndrome. She has a lesser case but it's still pretty awful. So she's been in the hospital for 5 days now, and she might be out tomorrow. Auto-immune stuff is no joke.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Finally found out what was going on with my fiancee, and that it is unfortunately Guillain-Barre syndrome. She has a lesser case but it's still pretty awful. So she's been in the hospital for 5 days now, and she might be out tomorrow. Auto-immune stuff is no joke.
    I know, man. Hang in there.

I've had RA for like 4 years, now, I think? And at first, it was heartbreaking that I couldn't play guitar the way I used to.

Now it's in my wrists, elbows, feet, ankles, knees, hips...and there's no cure. It will likely kill me eventually.

I know it's heavy for my wife. Stay up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I know, man. Hang in there.

I've had RA for like 4 years, now, I think? And at first, it was heartbreaking that I couldn't play guitar the way I used to.

Now it's in my wrists, elbows, feet, ankles, knees, hips...and there's no cure. It will likely kill me eventually.

I know it's heavy for my wife. Stay up.
    I really hope that's not the case for you. She's been doing immunoglobin therapy, which is definitely working. So she's finally walking with a walker and should be better next week.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I mean we all know who's going to win this argument but it's cool he's making it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Love how money always wins.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I hope more artists follow Neil Young.

Sadly, many will not.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I switched from Spotify to Youtube music this week. Joe Rogan was a factor in that decision.

Also, there's supposed to be some kind of Trucker Tantrum going on in Canada right now, but I don't think it's nearly as big as the news is making it out to be though. They were supposed to be passing through St Catharines at the same time I needed to be out today. There's people on overpasses with signs to try to support them, but I don't think they've ever come by. Traffic was 100% normal, and I was pretty worried I was going to be late for work because of this little tantrum.

But it seems that (at least where I am), it's just an online smoke & mirror event to get the right wing whipped up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I switched from Spotify to Youtube music this week. Joe Rogan was a factor in that decision.

Also, there's supposed to be some kind of Trucker Tantrum going on in Canada right now, but I don't think it's nearly as big as the news is making it out to be though. They were supposed to be passing through St Catharines at the same time I needed to be out today. There's people on overpasses with signs to try to support them, but I don't think they've ever come by. Traffic was 100% normal, and I was pretty worried I was going to be late for work because of this little tantrum.

But it seems that (at least where I am), it's just an online smoke & mirror event to get the right wing whipped up.
    It's seem to be all the news talks about.
    They raised 4.7mill on GoFundMe. Unbelievable.