Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    SERGIO PEREZ! What a drive in the wet.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    SERGIO PEREZ! What a drive in the wet.
    Not a fan of Red Bull but he did have a good run. Pretty wild day at the race. It probably won't happen but I'm hoping to go to the first Las Vegas Grand Prix a year from now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Nice! We'll just have to agree to disagree haha. 1 of us will be going to a game next weekend, I think. I also got first home game of ALDS & ALCS. Good bleacher seat for wildcard & ALCS. Better seat for ALDS (bleachers were gone). Spendy though. I'm going by myself as it was too expensive to count on friends to buy the extra seat & buying a single allowed for a better choice. It was bedlam on the presale but I'm pretty good at working that system. I'm sitting out the end of the regular season for economic reasons. GO Ms!
    Nice...I can really only afford to go to one post-season game. I did also buy tickets to an ALDS game, but if the wild card game is played in Toronto, I'll be selling the tickets to the ALDS game, this was my back-up game in case the wild card was played elsewhere.

That said though, I'll be 10th row in the left field corner, 100 level if it happens.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Nice...I can really only afford to go to one post-season game. I did also buy tickets to an ALDS game, but if the wild card game is played in Toronto, I'll be selling the tickets to the ALDS game, this was my back-up game in case the wild card was played elsewhere.

That said though, I'll be 10th row in the left field corner, 100 level if it happens.
    Ya, I definitely blew the budget but the team will refund any games not played. If the Ms make the world series, I'll try for one game for that too. Fortunately there aren't really any concerts coming that I need to buy that I don't already have tickets for. I think I have tickets for 4 going to May. 2 of those are rescheduled that I bought a long time ago. I suspect you will be having a lot of visitors from Seattle in Toronto next weekend.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Ya, I definitely blew the budget but the team will refund any games not played. If the Ms make the world series, I'll try for one game for that too. Fortunately there aren't really any concerts coming that I need to buy that I don't already have tickets for. I think I have tickets for 4 going to May. 2 of those are rescheduled that I bought a long time ago. I suspect you will be having a lot of visitors from Seattle in Toronto next weekend.
    PS: I really like the left field bleachers here. There's a row of regular chairs for disabled people & the view is right down the 3rd base line. They're in the lower echelon of the ticket prices, too. So I got those for 2 of the games & a lower level seat on the third base side for the ALDS. I used to like to get close to the field but I don't do stairs well anymore so I sit up top of the sections in the ADA seats.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Well, I hope your Mariners get to play against Cleveland and can make it to the ALDS for ya.

If they hold their 2-spot and play against the Jays, I can't cheer for them, but hopefully it'll line up a bit differently and we won't face each other until the ALCS.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Well, I hope your Mariners get to play against Cleveland and can make it to the ALDS for ya.

If they hold their 2-spot and play against the Jays, I can't cheer for them, but hopefully it'll line up a bit differently and we won't face each other until the ALCS.
    Congratulations! Just saved me $70 haha. Seriously, we could easily end up in the third wildcard spot. Tampa Bay owns the tiebreaker against us. The Ms played well against both your boys & Cleveland this year so things aren't hopeless. I was there for wins against both CLE & TOR. Julio Rodriguez came back off the IL & went 3-4 last night, so that's a good thing. A bad thing is Sam Haggerty got hurt last night. People probably don't know him but he's been a sparkplug all year. His music coming up to the plate is priceless: the theme from "The Godfather". Good humour there. The juggling of the pitching staff starts today's doubleheader. Probably bullpen starts both games today with Marco Gonzales going tomorrow. The rotation for the wildcard series will be Castillo, Ray & Gilbert. Short of Justin Verlander, Scherzer & Kershaw I'll take that rotation against anybodies. Nice that Canada lifted the vaccine restrictions this month because Robbie Ray can now get in the country. Probably why he isn't still pitching for Toronto this year. I'm excited & actually hope we end up playing Cleveland so we can play the Bluejays later. Have fun at the game Saturday!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Congrats to Judge! Now that that's out of the way can the team get back into position to actually win it this year? 62 is impressive but it's just a footnote if they don't find a way to win a title one of these years. This is the Yankees after all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

Congrats to Judge! Now that that's out of the way can the team get back into position to actually win it this year? 62 is impressive but it's just a footnote if they don't find a way to win a title one of these years. This is the Yankees after all.
    Lol, look at the dude jump the stands as the ball is landing. Guessing he was hoping it was gonna end up in that no man's land between the walls. Doubt he would have gotten to keep it once he got arrested, but it didn't even end up falling down there.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Lol, look at the dude jump the stands as the ball is landing. Guessing he was hoping it was gonna end up in that no man's land between the walls. Doubt he would have gotten to keep it once he got arrested, but it didn't even end up falling down there.
    Honestly I don't even blame the guy. They're saying that ball would sell for over a million dollars. Seems like a decent risk to take with that much at stake.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    heading out for last regular season baseball game. it's good to be retired! my ability to do this may soon be taken away so i'm going to enjoy it. GO MARINERS!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm glad you guys are having so much fun watching a sport where a perfect game involves a man throwing a ball to another man, and nothing else happens.

I guess the REAL barn burners are when BOTH teams are close to no hitters.

(jokes aside, GO RANGERS!)

Anyway, as far as what I'M into, the NBA preseason is on tonight, and the Mavs official season starts in two weeks!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm glad you guys are having so much fun watching a sport where a perfect game involves a man throwing a ball to another man, and nothing else happens.

I guess the REAL barn burners are when BOTH teams are close to no hitters.

(jokes aside, GO RANGERS!)

Anyway, as far as what I'M into, the NBA preseason is on tonight, and the Mavs official season starts in two weeks!
    Hey baseball and basketball are my two favorite sports and they're really the only sports I know anything about. And basketball is by far my favorite sport to play. That said, baseball has become my favorite sport to watch and I will defend baseball every day of the week and twice on sunday. NOTHING in sports compares to the atmosphere playoff baseball creates in the fall. Basketball can be nerve racking if it's a close game down the stretch and your team is in it. But baseball? Baseball in the postseason will raise your blood pressure for about 4 hours straight. It's one of the reasons I wish the new pitch clock rule was for regular season games only. Playoff baseball is a different animal.

Side note, I'm just glad that you're a Rangers fan down there in good ole Texas, if you were an Astros fan it might soil my opinion of you haha.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! I was just breaking ball breaking wrt baseball, although I haven't really gotten into it since the days of Nolan Ryan.

Even then, it was WAAAAAAY off to the side, compared to basketball. The basketball thing goes back to my GRANDAD: the one who died several years before I was born. He was a great HS basketball player, and a coach, and then gave anonymous scholarships to kids on the basketball team up here.

So of course, the love of the sport continued with my mother: I was going to west Texas state college games up here when I was a damn toddler, REGULARLY, and it went from there.

As far as fandom, though? HOUSTON?

Oh, HELL no.

I AM Dallas Tx. Hell, about a third of my shirts and ALL of my hats have something to do with dallas.
    (Defend Dallas, Dallas vs Everyone, Dirty Dirty Dallas, Dallas: WE RUN THE SOUTH, just "DALLAS,' mavs jerseys, shirts and hats, cowboys shirts and hats, 972, you name it).

I spent most of my life in Dallas, mostly using train and bus and feet, so I just feel SO connected to it.

My sports teams are DFW teams, PERIOD. I don't care if they're the worst teams in the world.

People who decide to be full time fans of teams that AREN'T from their city, when their city HAS teams, utterly baffle me.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @burnmotherfucker! I was just breaking ball breaking wrt baseball, although I haven't really gotten into it since the days of Nolan Ryan.

Even then, it was WAAAAAAY off to the side, compared to basketball. The basketball thing goes back to my GRANDAD: the one who died several years before I was born. He was a great HS basketball player, and a coach, and then gave anonymous scholarships to kids on the basketball team up here.

So of course, the love of the sport continued with my mother: I was going to west Texas state college games up here when I was a damn toddler, REGULARLY, and it went from there.

As far as fandom, though? HOUSTON?

Oh, HELL no.

I AM Dallas Tx. Hell, about a third of my shirts and ALL of my hats have something to do with dallas.
    (Defend Dallas, Dallas vs Everyone, Dirty Dirty Dallas, Dallas: WE RUN THE SOUTH, just "DALLAS,' mavs jerseys, shirts and hats, cowboys shirts and hats, 972, you name it).

I spent most of my life in Dallas, mostly using train and bus and feet, so I just feel SO connected to it.

My sports teams are DFW teams, PERIOD. I don't care if they're the worst teams in the world.

People who decide to be full time fans of teams that AREN'T from their city, when their city HAS teams, utterly baffle me.
    Yeah, believe me I get it. There's a ton of sports I just never got into and well, once you're an adult it's just too late I think.

And I get the family thing too. Honestly family is the only reason I even give a shit about baseball and basketball. I mean I'm from Carolina. We didn't invent basketball, Kansas did, but we perfected it haha.

And you mention having teams that aren't from your city? Well, that's exactly why I'm a Yankee fan. There are NO MLB teams back home. Most everyone back there was an Atlanta Braves fan. But my dad was a life long Yankee fan. He grew up watching the Mantle/Marris Yankees. The 90s were the best decade in sports I have or will ever experience as a fan. The Braves won it all in 1995 and I thought I'd never hear the end of it from all my friends. Then the next 5 years followed and it was just magic. It screwed me up as a fan honestly. I just expect to win after that.

But even so, there is a home connection. Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, and Andy Pettitte, who were 3 out of 4 players that went on to win 5 championships with the Yanks, they all played on a little minor league team down in North Carolina known as the Greensboro Hornets.

But hey if you wanna talk Mavs basketball. How about a trade? LaMelo Ball for Luka?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Sorry your game ended early for you. That was about as close to a perfect baseball game as you can get for the Mariners. Giving Castillo a 3 run lead before he even threw a pitch wasn't going to turn out well for the Blue Jays. Now we've got last year's Cy Young winner that we signed away from Toronto. I know, COVID vaccination status was the culprit from your point of view. You have to think Robbie Ray is going to be fired up tomorrow to pitch against his old team. 1 win away from me going to a playoff game next Saturday....

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Sorry your game ended early for you. That was about as close to a perfect baseball game as you can get for the Mariners. Giving Castillo a 3 run lead before he even threw a pitch wasn't going to turn out well for the Blue Jays. Now we've got last year's Cy Young winner that we signed away from Toronto. I know, COVID vaccination status was the culprit from your point of view. You have to think Robbie Ray is going to be fired up tomorrow to pitch against his old team. 1 win away from me going to a playoff game next Saturday....
    We're going to get to Robbie Ray...he's not the pitcher he was last year, plus he was ours last year, so we know how to play against him.

We've got Gausman on the mound, who we signed instead of Ray in the off-season, and he's put up slightly better numbers.

Our boys got the gitters yesterday. A 44% whiff rate, compared to numbers around 29% for the entire regular season. Castillo pitched a gem for sure, but if we can get our team out of their own heads and just playing baseball the way they've played all year, we'll still get ya in 3!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    We're going to get to Robbie Ray...he's not the pitcher he was last year, plus he was ours last year, so we know how to play against him.

We've got Gausman on the mound, who we signed instead of Ray in the off-season, and he's put up slightly better numbers.

Our boys got the gitters yesterday. A 44% whiff rate, compared to numbers around 29% for the entire regular season. Castillo pitched a gem for sure, but if we can get our team out of their own heads and just playing baseball the way they've played all year, we'll still get ya in 3!
    Arguably we're in better shape tomorrow with Logan Gilbert on the mound. & if Ray or Gilbert aren't "on" we can bring in George Kirby from the pen. He has the makings of a number one starter & had a great rookie season. We should leave you at home with your beer, back bacon & poutine.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So this is small town shit.

But, because Stratford won state last year, they moved us up from 1A to 2A, to where we have to play much bigger schools.

Like our town's team (2k people) vs an Amarillo team (300k people).

And we're fucking 6-0.

We made a mockery of a much bigger town/school last nite, who was undefeated: 40 to 7.

In FACT, holy shit: we made the Amarillo Paper for our win last nite!

That brings us to 18 and 0 in the last 18 games.

I know it might sound crazy, but for ME? Seeing kids I see around town, from my ancestral home, winning fucking State, playing at Texas Stadium?

That was more emotional than any cowboys superbowl.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-08-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Theme music for Toronto Blue Jays: Down in a Hole by Alice in Chains

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    ^^^^please ignore the trash talk. heat of the moment haha

^^^^posted when Mariners were down 8-1. I won't rub it in.
    Last edited by chuckrh; 10-09-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @chuckrh

That was impressive! Also, how is your blood pressure? haha

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    @chuckrh

That was impressive! Also, how is your blood pressure? haha
    I thought I was going to have another ambulance ride to the hospital for awhile there. Am still in shock. The (young) Mariners don't give up. Of course there was a bit of luck involved but that's baseball. Game 3 against Houston is next Saturday & I am so there! GO Ms!!!!!!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I thought I was going to have another ambulance ride to the hospital for awhile there. Am still in shock. The (young) Mariners don't give up. Of course there was a bit of luck involved but that's baseball. Game 3 against Houston is next Saturday & I am so there! GO Ms!!!!!!
    I'd have had a heart attack by the 9th. But congrats on getting to go see your team in the playoffs finally! I hope I don't end up regretting my wish to see the Mariners and Yanks in the ALCS. Most teams aren't coming back from 8-1. And the Jays are no slouch, for a min there I thought they might catch NY in the east. No team ever won a series without at least a little luck.

So now please get your M's to do the whole world a favor and beat the breaks off the Asstros! And since those guys are in your team's division, how does that matchup look to you? I'm sure you've seen them play many times this year. What do you expect to happen in the series? Good luck!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I'd have had a heart attack by the 9th. But congrats on getting to go see your team in the playoffs finally! I hope I don't end up regretting my wish to see the Mariners and Yanks in the ALCS. Most teams aren't coming back from 8-1. And the Jays are no slouch, for a min there I thought they might catch NY in the east. No team ever won a series without at least a little luck.

So now please get your M's to do the whole world a favor and beat the breaks off the Asstros! And since those guys are in your team's division, how does that matchup look to you? I'm sure you've seen them play many times this year. What do you expect to happen in the series? Good luck!
    The Cheatin' Asstros have been our nemesis for several years with their ballpark being a special house of horrors. We went 7-12 against them this year but we did win a series for the first time in a long time. & we did actually beat Verlander once. Most of the games were real close this year though. It's been a bit since we played them & things are different now. I think we actually have a chance. With the post season being about pitching & defense our chances aren't horrible. I'd almost not pitch Robbie Ray against them as he hasn't been good against them & in general has worn out over the season. I'd go with Castillo, Gilbert & wonder rookie Kirby using Ray out of the bullpen. Probably won't happen as we're paying Ray a bunch of money. The Mariners have had better offense in the wildcard than in general. If a few guys get hot anything can happen. For instance, Julio Rodriguez has played well but hasn't exploded yet. I feel safe in saying that's coming. He's only 21 & now has had a taste of the postseason. He should be comfortable now. While realistically the odds favor the cheaters, the Ms are capable of giving them a real bad surprise. I like the Ms chances this round more than Cleveland's. I would love to play the Yankers in the ALCS. There's a bit of history there & we played well against them this year. Note: this doesn't affect me but the first 2 games are on TV @ 12:30 Seattle time. As I'm retired I have no problem with watching & actually I'll be recovering from a brutal round of chemo (haven't had this one for 3 years, it worked ok slowing the disease progression some for awhile but stopped. I'm out of options) today this week. I don't think we'll have a huge crowd like this weekend watching the game on the stadium scoreboard but there will be a decent crowd. I just have to concentrate on getting into game shape for Saturday. The after effects from today usually last a week but I'll be able to go. I'm glad I didn't get a ticket for Sunday as the Seahawks are playing at home, also. The stadium zone will be ridiculous with parking priced out of control. On a normal Hawk game day parking close to the stadium is $50 to $100. Saturday, I'll head down there early (3 hours + before game) so I can get a free spot within a reasonable distance of the park. It's worked out well for me this year. I usually hit the sports gear stores & check out the bargain racks before the game. The street between the 2 stadiums is closed off on game day & I usually snag a great & reasonably priced hot dog before the game. Way better & less expensive than inside. I'm pretty excited. Just need to get through today & the week. GO Ms!!!!!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    That was absolutely brutal to watch.

Good luck with the next round, the Asto's deserve to get swept, so make it happen!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    That was absolutely brutal to watch.

Good luck with the next round, the Asto's deserve to get swept, so make it happen!
    Thanks. The first part of the game was brutal on my end, haha. I thought the Ms had no chance of winning once we were down 8-1. Have been on the bad end of that though not in the playoffs. You were right about Robbie Ray. Hopefully he'll be better next time he pitches. He still finished top 5 in strikeouts this year. He has a problem with giving up the one big inning. Maybe we'll play you again next year. I think that there's a good chance the Yankers will lose Judge after the season. Should make the AL East interesting. GO Ms!!!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The Cheatin' Asstros have been our nemesis for several years with their ballpark being a special house of horrors. We went 7-12 against them this year but we did win a series for the first time in a long time. & we did actually beat Verlander once. Most of the games were real close this year though. It's been a bit since we played them & things are different now. I think we actually have a chance. With the post season being about pitching & defense our chances aren't horrible. I'd almost not pitch Robbie Ray against them as he hasn't been good against them & in general has worn out over the season. I'd go with Castillo, Gilbert & wonder rookie Kirby using Ray out of the bullpen. Probably won't happen as we're paying Ray a bunch of money. The Mariners have had better offense in the wildcard than in general. If a few guys get hot anything can happen. For instance, Julio Rodriguez has played well but hasn't exploded yet. I feel safe in saying that's coming. He's only 21 & now has had a taste of the postseason. He should be comfortable now. While realistically the odds favor the cheaters, the Ms are capable of giving them a real bad surprise. I like the Ms chances this round more than Cleveland's. I would love to play the Yankers in the ALCS. There's a bit of history there & we played well against them this year. Note: this doesn't affect me but the first 2 games are on TV @ 12:30 Seattle time. As I'm retired I have no problem with watching & actually I'll be recovering from a brutal round of chemo (haven't had this one for 3 years, it worked ok slowing the disease progression some for awhile but stopped. I'm out of options) today this week. I don't think we'll have a huge crowd like this weekend watching the game on the stadium scoreboard but there will be a decent crowd. I just have to concentrate on getting into game shape for Saturday. The after effects from today usually last a week but I'll be able to go. I'm glad I didn't get a ticket for Sunday as the Seahawks are playing at home, also. The stadium zone will be ridiculous with parking priced out of control. On a normal Hawk game day parking close to the stadium is $50 to $100. Saturday, I'll head down there early (3 hours + before game) so I can get a free spot within a reasonable distance of the park. It's worked out well for me this year. I usually hit the sports gear stores & check out the bargain racks before the game. The street between the 2 stadiums is closed off on game day & I usually snag a great & reasonably priced hot dog before the game. Way better & less expensive than inside. I'm pretty excited. Just need to get through today & the week. GO Ms!!!!!!
    Some sort of good news. I went to my doctor today & his crew had messed up the order & insurance stuff. So, I didn't get the bad chemo today & won't for 4 weeks. They gave me a shot of something else to fill the gap. It's got me feeling pretty sick right now but I should be in the clear & be at full roar for the game Saturday. GO Ms!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @chuckrh

Thanks for the insight. 7-12 against them tells me that while they may have the edge, they can be had by you guys. Obviously post-season baseball is a different beast but if your pitchers consistently show up you'll be in the hunt. The Asstros have had the Yanks number these last 5 years in large part because their starting pitching has been excellent and timely hitting, and of course the cheating. But I hate to be one of those fans that only blames it on the cheating. For all I know the Yankees were cheating too and got out cheated. This is baseball after all, cheating has been a part of the game for damn near a century so I won't harp on that too much.

As for news from the Yankee camp, they axed Chapman from the post season roster and I am thrilled. Never liked that guy and I don't care how fast he threw he is the biggest choke artist I've ever seen pitch. NY's bullpen is the weakest it's been since 2016 but our starters are probably better than they've been in that time as well and if our hitters show up I think they can make a run. But this is still a team that has underachieved and won nothing so they still have a lot to prove.

I fear you may be right about losing Judge. But I hope his 62 sent a message to the front office to use the "old ways". George Fucking Steinbrenner would NEVER have let Judge walk over money. Say what you will about the guy but he got the best players at any cost and his organization only ever increased in value to the point it actually didn't cost him anything. His kids don't seem to understand that last part.

Also, glad you got the easier dose of chemo for now so that you'll better enjoy this run! You are truly the most loyal of fans and I hope your M's can live up to your fandom on the field.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm a Mets diehard so this post season just went from very promising to a disaster with them bowing out so quick. Nemesis's all around. The Phillies and most especially the Braves can both go DIAF. Can never root for the Yankees. Can't root for the cheating Astros. The best outcome for me is to hope the M's or Guardians match up with the Dodgers at the end.