Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Legend by Ridley Scott is better than Gladiator.
    I think Kingdom of Heaven(Director's Cut) is better than both.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I think Kingdom of Heaven(Director's Cut) is better than both.
    I'd certainly put it on a par with Gladiator. Been too long since I've seen KoH's theatrical cut to comment on the differences, but the director's cut is one epic piece of cinema.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I'd certainly put it on a par with Gladiator. Been too long since I've seen KoH's theatrical cut to comment on the differences, but the director's cut is one epic piece of cinema.
    The theatrical version left out 45 minutes of substantial character and plot stuff so they could have more theater showings per day to make more money. That backfired on them badly since it was a far weaker movie and it bombed. It should have been released in the fall or winter as sort of a 'prestige' film, but the studio thought it was a summer blockbuster. I think this was one of the most substantial director's cuts in history in terms of how much better it made the film than the theatrical version.

Back on topic, I think Event Horizon is pretty good.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Back on topic, I think Event Horizon is pretty good.
    Event Horizon is a goddamn masterpiece.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I don't see why Citizen Kane gets such immense praise and is constantly touted as the best movie of all time. It's good, but it's not that good. I even find it bloated and overbearing at times.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 08-06-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Event Horizon is a goddamn masterpiece.
    It's a seriously underrated piece of sci fi horror, for sure.

And Alexandros, I've never seen it, but I have seen The Third Man, a great noir film that Welles was in. Fantastic movie!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The director of Event Horizon said there was a much harder version of it that got NC-17. It was cut down to get an R. He looked for the extra footage to put on a dvd and apparently it was lost. What I wouldn't give for that director's cut.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Seriously, that shit blew my mind as a 16yr old as it was. I'd love to see the cutting room floor shit...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Afaik these are the only few scenes left that did not went missing. Gives you an idea how over the top brutal that movie could have been:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Event Horizon is absolutely underrated. Paul W.S. Anderson has his moments as a filmmaker and I kinda liked his version of The Three Musketeers. It was extremely ridiculous yet I couldn't help but enjoy myself no matter how bad some of the acting was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Animal House isn't funny. At all.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I just watched the 2011 Conan and I think it wasn't that bad. Not saying its great or anything; it should've had a director and cinematographer with more talent, but there are some good things there. Khal Drogo was pretty damn good as Conan, the costumes and set design looked great, and the sword fights had brutality and style.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    They should have given Conan to Neil Marshal (director of The Descent). Apparently he really wanted to do it

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I don't know if Animal House isn't funny but Revenge Of The Nerds is the much superior movie.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I like Michael Bay movies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I don't know if Animal House isn't funny but Revenge Of The Nerds is the much superior movie.
    Fuck to the yes.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I love Freddy Got Fingered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    I love Freddy Got Fingered.
    Oh Christ Almighty me too. The scene in the restaurant where he's making a business call to impress the girl makes me barf with laughter. Also, I like Poison Ivy 2 with Alyssa Milano. I've seen it more than any human has on earth. I still don't know why I like it. Other than her boobies.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    All the monty python movies/tv shows/whatever are complete garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gladiator is a God-awful film.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3:15 View Post
    Gladiator is a God-awful film.
    You know something. I kinda agree to that. I think it's very overrated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Comic book movies are ruining American film culture.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I don't see why Citizen Kane gets such immense praise and is constantly touted as the best movie of all time. It's good, but it's not that good. I even find it bloated and overbearing at times.
    It's because of how old it is. The fact it was filmed in 1941 and one of the first "Blockbuster" films to be widely received. I feel the same way about Casablanca. It's a good movie with a solid plot, strong characterization and was released early on during WWII but it's really not all that fucking all mighty untouchable as everyone claims.

I know it's an unfair label but these older films get the praise they do because they're the first of their caliber.

However, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and The Grapes of Wrath deserve all the praise they get. Those movies are excellent.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I try to stay out of threads like this, but I have to get this out. I've never understood the love for District 9. I love the premise of the film, I love the social commentary it tries to perform. I just think its execution is flawed. I usually give points for effort, but that film and its buffoonish main character just rubbed me the wrong way.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    All the monty python movies/tv shows/whatever are complete garbage.
    Motherfucking fighting words.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Motherfucking fighting words.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Kings of the non-sequitur, shit's hilarious. You're just... so wrong.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It's because of how old it is. The fact it was filmed in 1941 and one of the first "Blockbuster" films to be widely received. I feel the same way about Casablanca. It's a good movie with a solid plot, strong characterization and was released early on during WWII but it's really not all that fucking all mighty untouchable as everyone claims.
    I guess my main gripe is absolute characterisations like "best film of all time" in general. I can understand "one of the best/most notable films of its time", but more than this is meaningless. Especially when you compare films that are several decades apart, the differences in cinematic eras/philosophies/aesthetics muddle the waters significantly, except for a few films here and there that were ahead of their time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't understand all the love for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It falls completely flat for me every time I try to watch it, which is frustrating because I like the movie's premise & generally like Kaufman's other stuff. But this one just comes off as irritating & pretentious to me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think Waterworld is pretty good. Its not super great, but its got some fun sequences, and I appreciate the minimal use of CG(Is there any CG?). I mean, they actual built that huge floating town-thing, and did that explosion on the tanker.