Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supreme Court thread

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trump Selects Amy Coney Barrett to Fill Ginsburg’s Seat on the Supreme Court

ETA--looks like it's not 100% confirmed, but looking like it will be her.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-25-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    it's gonna be her, unless they find some horrifying skeleton in her closet during this rushed vetting process.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    it's gonna be her, unless they find some horrifying skeleton in her closet during this rushed vetting process.
    Everyone has a closet full of skeletons. It's the imperfect nature of human existence. We all have flaws. And the magnitude of the flaws we harbor is subject to interpretation. But she sure seems young for filling this position. Much younger than I am, although I suppose that no longer has much relevance. Her age could portend a very long tenure.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Everyone has a closet full of skeletons. It's the imperfect nature of human existence. We all have flaws. And the magnitude of the flaws we harbor is subject to interpretation. But she sure seems young for filling this position. Much younger than I am, although I suppose that no longer has much relevance. Her age could portend a very long tenure.

That's the appeal... it's why she's so young, and Kavanaugh was young too. It's not a coincidence. You'll be living with these decisions for the rest of your life.

"BUT I WANTED TO SAY THAT I DIDN'T LIKE HILLARY! AND SHE HAD EMAILS OR SOMETHING!!!!! BENGHAZI!!!!!"

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Justice Kagan was appointed to the SCOTUS at 50.

Justice Sotomayor was appointed to the SCOTUS at 55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    god motherfucking jesus shit dicks damnit fuck.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think that our best hope at this point is that more Supreme Court Justices are added to offset the 6-3 super majority that the conservatives are about to have. Let's hope for a massive blue-wave in November.

VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!
    VOTE!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Justice Kagan was appointed to the SCOTUS at 50.

Justice Sotomayor was appointed to the SCOTUS at 55.
    Same strategy, same reasoning behind it. You don't nominate a very old Justice for that reason. I think RBG was 60 when she was appointed?

All I'm saying is that I am hearing way too many people underestimating the importance of the Supreme Court, just like they did in 2016, and they're these idealists whining into the void about the impotency of incrementalism... If Hillary FUCKING Clinton was elected, we at least wouldn't be looking at this aspect to the insanity.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Same strategy, same reasoning behind it. You don't nominate a very old Justice for that reason. I think RBG was 60 when she was appointed?

All I'm saying is that I am hearing way too many people underestimating the importance of the Supreme Court, just like they did in 2016, and they're these idealists whining into the void about the impotency of incrementalism... If Hillary FUCKING Clinton was elected, we at least wouldn't be looking at this aspect to the insanity.
    Yup, absolutely.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I get pissed when I hear some people say "(Clinton/Biden) hasn't earned my vote. So I'm either going to vote for (Stein, Hawkins) instead." Just think of The Supreme Court, ffs.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    she's got Michelle Bachmann eyes... yeah, I'm not feeling this.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    she's got Michelle Bachmann eyes... yeah, I'm not feeling this.
    i try not to judge based on looks but i see what you’re saying.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm not going to share that fucking Notorious ACB shirt, but my god, what a thirsty fucking clown thing to do. We gotta get as many of these fuckers out of office as we can.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Is it any weirder than appointing a Chief Justice? I seem to recall that being a point of contention.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, while on one hand I think a SCOTUS nominee should be able to pronounce "poignant," I am not gonna die on that hill

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    of course she doesn't commit.

she knows what she plans on doing.

probably part of the deal she struck when Trump "interviewed" her for the job.

really really hope there's a strong democrat voter turnout in texas and florida. I don't trust the governors of either state and expect some bs to happen.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

The most confusing thing I've read so far today.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Fucking finally. I hope this shit works!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    These fuckers did it...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    These fuckers did it...
    Win presidency.
    Win Senate.
    Eliminate filibuster.
    Expand to 13.
    Force Breyer to retire.
    DC & PR statehood.
    Do it all in 2021. No waffling. Playing nice doesn't work anymore and that should be the party line and not some radical left <gasp!> <clutch pearls!> pipe dream. Do the above and ensure no GOP majority in the Senate for the foreseeable future. Only then can we start getting shit done.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Win presidency.
    Win Senate.
    Eliminate filibuster.
    Expand to 13.
    Force Breyer to retire.
    DC & PR statehood.
    Do it all in 2021. No waffling. Playing nice doesn't work anymore and that should be the party line and not some radical left <gasp!> <clutch pearls!> pipe dream. Do the above and ensure no GOP majority in the Senate for the foreseeable future. Only then can we start getting shit done.
    I'll go further.

Expand Federal Circuit to 15 (it's currently 13, packed with Republican-appointed justices, too small), appoint additional Justices.

Expand SCOTUS to 15.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'll go further.
    I'll allow it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Win presidency.
    Win Senate.
    Eliminate filibuster.
    Expand to 13.
    Force Breyer to retire.
    DC & PR statehood.
    They will only POSSIBLY do the filibuster and DC & PR statehood. Current Dem leadership clearly does not have the will for court reform in any way. They are absolutely terrible and spineless. They could have blocked Barrett at least for the rest of the year, if not for good, and CHOSE not to do the aggressive tactics they could have employed to do so. Feckless, the lot of them. Schumer and Pelosi needed to be catapulted into the sun.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    They will only POSSIBLY do the filibuster and DC & PR statehood. Current Dem leadership clearly does not have the will for court reform in any way. They are absolutely terrible and spineless. They could have blocked Barrett at least for the rest of the year, if not for good, and CHOSE not to do the aggressive tactics they could have employed to do so. Feckless, the lot of them. Schumer and Pelosi needed to be catapulted into the sun.
    They can’t even do statehood with the eliminated filibuster because the 6-3 conservative court will strike down every bit of legislation after the GOP challenges. Expand the court and rebalance it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Senate Dems tried blocking Barrett. (The House can't do shit, they have zero Constitutional power re SCOTUS.)

The Senate Dems didn't show up for the vote, so the Senate wouldn't have quorum. The Republicans proceeded ANYWAY, without quorum. Which the Republicans did with Kavanaugh.

https://www.justsecurity.org/72521/s...court-nominee/

The time to block a Republican SCOTUS pick was the 2016 Presidential election.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    All this talk of stacking the court seems pretty unlikely now. This election is a shitshow. "We" now know there really is 1/2 of the country that is dumb/evil enough to want Trump after these 4 years. Also, if Biden wins and the republicans hold the senate it pretty much guarantees no Biden court appointee sees the bench. You think a 6-3 majority is bad? Wait til 2024 when Trump/his daughter runs again and wins the senate so they can go ahead and get a 9-0 majority.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I really hope the senate goes blue, that would make things much easier. But nothing about this election makes me think dems will get enough turnout in 2022. And Trump isn't going to just go away like we're used to seeing with presidents. He realizes the power he has through social media. He will be louder than ever and while you and I may not care, his base isn't going anywhere. He will either run in 2024 or hand pick one of his family members to do it for him. Because of his ability to turn out voters, what's left of the republican party will allow it, they'll continue to bend over for him.

And the SC won't prevent a dem administration from passing legislation. But it will cripple them in that they wont be able to challenge any republican legislation thats been passed. And anything the dems do get done will easily be torn apart the next time republicans hold power. Not to mention they have two months now to strip healthcare with their stacked court. I hope I'm wrong about every bit of this.