Thread: Nintendo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I showed up late for the wii-u. Have yet to play Skyward Sword. I'll probably get it sooner than later though. Why not?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I showed up late for the wii-u. Have yet to play Skyward Sword. I'll probably get it sooner than later though. Why not?
    It almost made me swear off Zelda games forever from here on out... so that's a possible "why not" if you hate it half as much as I did. The controls (even with the enhanced remote) are crap unresponsive motion nonsense, it was ugly even when it was new, and it gets everything wrong about the series that it always previously got right. Less dialogue please too; Zelda was never about story or narrative.

Couple all that with the unanimous praise it received, and when you ask "really?" online, you get a response from a twelve-year old saying "LOL itz just you suck and are old!" The game isn't difficult, the game just sucks, and even trying to talk about it was met with such rabid fanboyism it was almost scary. Hey, kids, I was alive when the first Zelda game came out, and I beat it. Sorry if that makes me "old," but I liked these games back before they sucked.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It almost made me swear off Zelda games forever from here on out... so that's a possible "why not" if you hate it half as much as I did. The controls (even with the enhanced remote) are crap unresponsive motion nonsense, it was ugly even when it was new, and it gets everything wrong about the series that it always previously got right. Less dialogue please too; Zelda was never about story or narrative.

Couple all that with the unanimous praise it received, and when you ask "really?" online, you get a response from a twelve-year old saying "LOL itz just you suck and are old!" The game isn't difficult, the game just sucks, and even trying to talk about it was met with such rabid fanboyism it was almost scary. Hey, kids, I was alive when the first Zelda game came out, and I beat it. Sorry if that makes me "old," but I liked these games back before they sucked.
    I've mostly heard mixed things about it. I'm still going play it. I want to go back and finish Wind Waker before I do that though (haven't beaten it). If it sucks, I'm only down 20 bucks and I can say I at least tried it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I've mostly heard mixed things about it. I'm still going play it. I want to go back and finish Wind Waker before I do that though (haven't beaten it). If it sucks, I'm only down 20 bucks and I can say I at least tried it.
    Wind Waker is a much better game.

Maybe people have cooled their heels after the hype wore off, and maybe realized Skyward Sword was a fucking mess and a half. I have problems with the new Final Fantasy game, but holy shit was Skyward Sword a greater departure and a far poorer entry in a heralded series...

But yeah, you can get it bargain bin price now, and why not... and you're not staring down overwhelmingly ecstatic praise that makes you feel insane. People have calmed down about it, by Skyward Sword still holds a 93% average on Metacritic, which means it's still one of the best reviewed games of all time. And it fucking sucks.

This is the most sensible version of the criticism that hit everyone who thought the controls sucked (from the comments section of the lowest Metacritic scoring article... how dare he): My first instinct says that the people struggling the the controls have a few screws loose or just a few cards short of a full deck. Maybe they’re extremely young or old. Or maybe, forgivingly, they simply don’t WANT to enjoy/understand the game’s control scheme.

Even
    politely, this fan is implying the critic (or anyone who didn't like the controls) is too young (or old, let's cut to the chase) to appreciate how great it is. No, it just isn't great, and now that we've all grown tired of motion controls and gimmicks of the sort, we can all look back in horror at the defensiveness run rampant there behind its praise, and that was the most eloquent version of that sort of criticism I could find. Maybe it's easier to enjoy the game now, now that there's not a legion of blathering fanboys desperate to call you "grandpa" because you think the game sucks.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-12-2017 at 10:01 PM.