Page 39 of 122 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @versusreality my point was more about allegro's all day, every day diatribes that are potentially ginning people up more than whats needed right now. And you see how well that went.

As far as 9/11, it was traumatic for me just like everyone else. Lost my next door neighbor to it, as he was a firefighter who rushed back into one of those buildings. Destroyed his family & they've never fully recovered. It's terrible. I took @SM Rollinger's post to mean he simply wasn't living in a state of fear of terrorists being able to get away with something like that again here. I agree with that train of thought.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I just realized that I do have one of those N95 mask. I bought it last summer when I was supposed to do some painting at my mom's place and I knew I would have some sanding to do and well, I did not want to breathe that in. But then, my brother died suddenly of a heart attack and there was no painting done.

It's still in its package, unopened. I told my mom I will go drop it to our local hospital and my mom said " but it's just one mask". I told that it's better to have one more than one less.

Anyway, I can't justify keeping it. It don't see my mom going shopping for paint soon anyway.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I don't think it's hyperbole when I told my mom that this is my generation's WWII.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    @versusreality my point was more about allegro's all day, every day diatribes that are potentially ginning people up more than whats needed right now. And you see how well that went.

As far as 9/11, it was traumatic for me just like everyone else. Lost my next door neighbor to it, as he was a firefighter who rushed back into one of those buildings. Destroyed his family & they've never fully recovered. It's terrible. I took @SM Rollinger's post to mean he simply wasn't living in a state of fear of terrorists being able to get away with something like that again here. I agree with that train of thought.
    How is anything I’m posting that much different than anyone else? You are singling me out. “All day every day diatribe?” I’ve known some of these people on here for 15 years. People are posting informative links. This isn’t the Tool thread.

You aren’t reading his post within the context of his response to my post, which was a response to @versusreality and @Sarah K . Posts don’t live alone. You seem to point them out as individual posts, but that’s not always how this works. The topic was New York City, the Empire State Building, and the anxiety levels right now regarding NYC. It was about the Empire State Building with a siren, what reaction that causes, could it could spark PTSD, etc. It wasn’t an abstract philosophical point about patriotism or the country. It was about a singular building in a single city and what that building was doing at that very moment and the reaction it was causing. Particularly for people who hear the ambulances all day long, or who still had PTSD from 9/11. Nobody was thinking about terrorists in caves, except him. And you, I guess. He may have misunderstood the context (he’s in S.D.). You fully understood and took it as yet another opportunity to trash me.

@Sarah K inferred that it made her very emotional. @versusreality said it was scary. I agreed and said it was both. @SM Rollinger posted a total non sequitur, that was also disrespectful of the people who were reacting to the symbolic nature of the red siren; not only the symbol of the current state of emergency, but also 9/11. I told him that. Three people clicked “like.” He didn’t respond. You did it for him. By attacking me, basically telling me I’m mentally ill (“manic”) and that I’m stirring things up and I need to calm down for “my own good” before I, I dunno, hurt myself.

If you disagree with me, that’s one thing. It’s a message board, whatever. But the shit you posted was some macho condescending bullshit that manifests exactly why my PMs are turned off. If you want to spew that mean baseless shit, you can do it right here in public.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-31-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    You both make good points.

meanwhile, Trump has been rambling for over 2 hours at this point. I tune in for the doctors...but man, Trump makes it so hard...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I don't think it's hyperbole when I told my mom that this is my generation's WWII.
    You are spot on with that statement. I think the big thing is it is affecting everyone in the world (even if they don't know it or refuse to acknowledge).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    "The Empire State Building lights were red on Monday to represent the “heartbeat” of America. And the mast flashed like a red and white siren to pay tribute to emergency workers. Officials say the lights will go on like this every night during the coronavirus pandemic."
    Good gosh I would find that very disconcerting and rather anxiety provoking. But if it helps convince some of the unconvinced that this crisis is real, and social distancing should be observed, then perhaps it can be tolerated? As it may be saving lives?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    2015 Italian state tv broadcast on how Chinese scientists in the city of... three guesses... had created a Coronavirus based on SARS.

http://www.rai.it/dl/RaiTV/programmi...7dc47565b.html
    this is the kind of thing that aluminum foil hats were made for, right?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    We've seen the RNA sequence for the SARS-Cov-2. It doesn't have any telltale signs that it was anything other than a naturally ocurring mutation. You can Google it.

Wearing a face mask in public may make you feel better but that's a false sense of security, doesn't do anything more than staying 2 meters away from everybody else does. I touch my face WAY more when I'm wearing one because I'm always adjusting the damn thing or fogging up my glasses when I breathe into it or some shit.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Wearing a mask helps me not touch my face. And, if I did have it, at least I would be reducing my ability to pass it on.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I touch my face WAY more when I'm wearing one because I'm always adjusting the damn thing or fogging up my glasses when I breathe into it or some shit.
    That is a REALLY good point.

Cool article:

Do You Really Have to Disinfect All Groceries Now? An Expert Explains
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the 1918 influenza (Spanish Flu) sounded SO brutal it did not even sound like the Flu, Frankenstein Flu, people choking to death on their own Phlegm. How on earth is that Flu.

what was so tragic about it was that it mostly effected young people, healthy young people aged 20- 30 would drop dead. They think the older generations had developed some sort of immunity to it in previous waves of the Flu but the younger generation had not. and this one was indescribably worse
    Very Unusual form of it, Flu on steroids,

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    God, I forgot you can't use this site on April 1 if you've got music playing on your computer. See you tomorrow, folks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    God, I forgot you can't use this site on April 1 if you've got music playing on your computer. See you tomorrow, folks.
    yeah Leviathant or someone put it to rest this year, reading about a pandemic ravaging the world,killing hundreds of americans a day thousands of people.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is why everyone should be using a scarf or improvised facial covering when they venture out in public for necessary tasks:

Iceland lab's testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases have no symptoms

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Thanks for the farts

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    This is why everyone should be using a scarf or improvised facial covering when they venture out in public for necessary tasks:

Iceland lab's testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases have no symptoms
    CNN needs to be careful: That’s a misleading sentence. They need better editing.

My city now has the highest number of cases in my county. But that number is 50, which isn’t astronomical. But, still.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Is tooting a symptom of the rona?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    PBS is airing an episode of The American Experience about the 1918 influenza pandemic, aka the Spanish Flu tonight.
    Did you happen to see the episode about Polio? We watched it last night, we only had a cursory knowledge about the Polio outbreak. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    yeah Leviathant or someone put it to rest this year, reading about a pandemic ravaging the world,killing hundreds of americans a day thousands of people.
    I respectfully disagree.

I would get in the face of everyone who would dare try to prank us with "cure for covid-19 found" today. That would be cruel and utterly stupid. And disrespectful.

But the little things like Farting ETS on April 1 is a reminder that it's still okay to smile. It's pulling us away from the doom and gloom we live in right now. And it's the little silly things like this that prevent us from going batshit insane right now.

When I saw the Empire State Building with its spinning light on the other day, strangely, I did not associate it with an emergency vehicle light. I thought " they have turn the ESB into a lighthouse". A lighthouse is guiding ships in distress to safety. I saw it as meaning "follow the directives and the guidelines and we will get through this." Boy, did I get that one wrong!

But hey, I love lighthouses. Meh!
    @allegro I did. I didn't know much about polio either and jeez that was scary. All we need now is an episode about smallpox and one about the Black Death and we will be properly scarred for life!
    Last edited by marodi; 04-01-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Farts are funny. As far as I know, they are not a sign of COVID-19 and just an ETS gag for April Fool’s Day

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I didn't know much about polio either and jeez that was scary. All we need now is an episode about smallpox and one about the Black Death and we will be properly scarred for life!
    I thought it was interesting how Salk came up with the vaccine (but then tested it on kids in orphanages, eek). And then that other guy came up with the sugar cube version and saved the world. All we need now is another Jonas Salk.

I bet that will happen, too!

Here is one of the lighthouses by our boat, to make you happy :-) (Well, where our boat USED to be before we sold it just before Christmas, thank GOD omg):

Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Is tooting a symptom of the rona?
    There is no Corona Radifarta.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    There is no Corona Radifarta.
    but more than four of us are dying

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so Trump begins his press conference talking about the war on Mexican cartels and terrorists. unbelievable.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Holy shit. THIS IS THE DUMBEST FUCKING CONFERENCE YET.

Drugs! Battleships! Cartels! Aircraft! Military deployment!

Surely they don't actually think this attempt at changing the discussion is going to work?

Edit - NARCOTERRORISM!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    you know...he may intentionally try to get us into a war, with his stupid thought process of "well America joining WWII got us out of the economic depression, let's get into another one so we can avoid a depression!"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

hich is why the CDC must

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    CNN needs to be careful: That’s a misleading sentence. They need better editing.
    I read through the linked article again, and it seems to support the headline. What am I missing? The takeaway is that there are many people who have the coronavirus, but no significant symptoms, so they can spread the virus to others without even being aware of it. I think that's a very important thing for people to understand. Even if you feel fine, you might be a carrier and are infecting others who might therefore die.

The news article from CNN is hardly the first to bring up this subject. But it's the first I have seen which indicates that such a high percentage of asymptomatic carriers may be likely. Until there is more testing of all persons, including those who feel well, we won't know the exact percentage. But any significant number is very dangerous. Which is why the CDC must quickly amend their guidance to deal with this threat, by recommending or even mandating any type of mouth/nose covering in public, for everyone, not just those who are obviously sick.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Maybe it's a family trauma with the Trump's in the end, since his grandfather fell victim to the Spanish flu... so nobody will talk about it. Then again, I don't think he even thinks back that much. Oh well!