Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Box (2019)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Are they real feathers?
    Yes.

Isn't there a risk they'll rot for any folks who don't realise they're there?
    No.

Is this a problem for vegetarians
    No.

...or vegans?
    There's a spectrum there. I was once invited to a birthday party so long as I didn't wear anything that was leather. If you're okay supporting a man who has contributed a lot to the leather industry, indirectly or otherwise, but not okay with feathers being hidden in the box, you'll probably want to pass on the boxed vinyl.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    If you're okay supporting a man who has contributed a lot to the leather industry, indirectly or otherwise, but not okay with feathers being hidden in the box, you'll probably want to pass on the boxed vinyl.
    For what's it's worth I was being entirely serious. Like everyone I bought blind so had no idea about the feathers or how they were sourced. I still don't. And not that I want to get too personal but I don't have a problem with other folks making their own choices about leather, feathers, etc. I'd just like the opportunity to make my own informed personal choice.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    For what's it's worth I was being entirely serious. Like everyone I bought blind so had no idea about the feathers or how they were sourced. I still don't. And not that I want to get too personal but I don't have a problem with other folks making their own choices about leather, feathers, etc. I'd just like the opportunity to make my own informed personal choice.
    Yeah, no one knew about the feathers ahead of time. Part of why I typed out a longer response to that part of the post was to share my experience with friends who are vegan: some restrict that to diet, others take great pains to remove themselves from a specific subset of manufacturing altogether, others still distance themselves from people who use products made with anything animal-related. Maybe that's related to the breadth of lifestyles I encounter in Philadelphia now. I'm not passing judgment on these decisions people make, but you asked a very broad question, and in my experience, "vegan" can mean a number of different things.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don’t get the problem with this, birds shed feathers all the time without dying?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don’t get the problem with this, birds shed feathers all the time without dying?
    It's a question of how the feathers were obtained, what the animal welfare story is etc.

A couple of feathers used by Russell Mills in artwork, where he may even have picked them from a bush, is one thing. But this is an (albeit low run) mass produced product. Thousands of feathers, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a question of how the feathers were obtained, what the animal welfare story is etc.

A couple of feathers used by Russell Mills in artwork, where he may even have picked them from a bush, is one thing. But this is an (albeit low run) mass produced product. Thousands of feathers, at least.
    Maybe they just recycled the feathers from an old pillow.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

What are you, a fucking park ranger now?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Considering Trent's previous involvement with animal rights groups, I doubt that they obtained the feathers in a way that would directly harm any birds. I certainly don't see the production team going out and plucking feathers off of birds for this boxset.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Jesus are we for real fucking debating the "animal welfare" of these fucking feathers? For all we know they could be fake feathers for crafting with red paint thrown on them.

Jeeeeesus fuuuuucking chriiiiist.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaGun View Post
    Maybe they just recycled the feathers from an old pillow.
    I mean that would be great! The point I'm making is I would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Considering Trent's previous involvement with animal rights groups, I doubt that they obtained the feathers in a way that would directly harm any birds. I certainly don't see the production team going out and plucking feathers off of birds for this boxset.
    That's a good point and quite reassuring thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Jesus are we for real fucking debating the "animal welfare" of these fucking feathers?
    Well I am, sure, but nothing forces you to.

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    For all we know they could be fake feathers for crafting with red paint thrown on them.
    That was pretty much my first question a page or so ago and I was told they're real. I haven't had my shipping notification so I'm relying on those who are lucky enough to have received theirs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    can't remember if i mentioned this when the abridged version came out, but the creepy arpeggiated synth melody in "careful what you wish for" is very reminiscent of the main line in the song "black antlers" by COIL (who coincidentally also have a song titled "careful what you wish for")

anyway, i'm listening to the vinyl now and it sounds pristine. this is also the most terrifying score they have done. Waves is unsettling at times, sure. but birdbox is actively scary, especially "trespasser". :: shudder ::

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Wow, this thread got intense.

I have a friend who's a taxidermy artist. There's a whole community of people who deal in animal parts, and they have a very strict philosophy of only sourcing materials through ethical means.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Wow, this thread got intense.

I have a friend who's a taxidermy artist. There's a whole community of people who deal in animal parts, and they have a very strict philosophy of only sourcing materials through ethical means.
    I'm finding something quite amusing about the idea that it was a last minute brainwave from Trent, followed by him and Atticus heading out with a baseball bat to find some birds.

#commitment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Woohoo, Bird Box and With Teeth have shipped!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Got my box yesterday and it smells like Carmex. That was enough to freak me out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bird Box and With Teeth arrived this morning. The smell sure is strong and a bit pungent - I'm assuming its from the material used to make the record sleeves.

Its a lovely package though, I love the obvious thought and attention which has gone in to it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is it easy to take the insert out for the feathers? I don’t want to damage it to get it out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprekon666 View Post
    Is it easy to take the insert out for the feathers? I don’t want to damage it to get it out.
    I just turned it upside down and put a very small amount of pressure on the middle with my thumbs while holding the sides and it popped right out easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    feathers were crunchy in the middle part, as expected, but was surprised to find them quite pleasantly flavored despite the pungent aroma

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    feathers were crunchy in the middle part, as expected, but was surprised to find them quite pleasantly flavored despite the pungent aroma
    Hope you seasoned 'em

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    How thick is the box? I like to use a outer sleeve with it but I know this won’t fit. Anyone think if I cut a couple on the side and tape them together would work? I don’t want to buy a pack when I only need 1.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprekon666 View Post
    How thick is the box? I like to use a outer sleeve with it but I know this won’t fit. Anyone think if I cut a couple on the side and tape them together would work? I don’t want to buy a pack when I only need 1.
    try this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is there anybody else who got their plastic vinyl sleeves (outside of paper sleeves) damaged when they got the box?
    I asked for a replacement, stating I don't need the whole box replaced but just the sleeves. It's my first time dealing with a plastic outer sleeve, let alone a damaged one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Boo mine was supposed to show up to me today but delay in Louisville and didn’t make it on the plane. Probably weather related to come to Toronto lol.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not to rain on anyone here BUT... IT ARRIVED!!! (along with Watchmen Vol.2 and With Teeth.) So fucking dope! On a side note, the smell... it was so bad my wife kicked me out of the office as she was inputting final semester grades... and mine has three feathers (I guess some had two.) She thinks it's a little gross but thats just how TR & AR trolls the fan base was my explanation, lol.
    Last edited by nmitchell86; 12-10-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Lol my tracking info for this. It left Louisville, KY to Mansfield, OH to Buffalo, NY back to Louisville, KY. UPS is just as bad as Canada Post. All within 27 hrs. Is this actually gonna show up Monday.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    UK bird box order arrived

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    On a side note, the smell... it was so bad my wife kicked me out of the office as she was inputting final semester grades... and mine has three feathers (I guess some had two.) She thinks it's a little gross but that just how TR & AR trolls the fan base was my explanation, lol.
    Yes, that strong smell (I don't think it's off-gassing from the plastic inner folio sleeves, but rather from a deliberate scent application to the textured outer box) and holes in the cover are certainly intended to shock — along with the hidden feather compartment, of course. You can't download that stuff!
    Last edited by botley; 12-08-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, that strong smell (I don't think it's off-gassing from the plastic inner folio sleeves, but rather from a deliberate scent application to the textured outer box) and holes in the cover are certainly intended to shock — along with the hidden feather compartment, of course. You can't download that stuff!
    That’s amazing. My physical package is being held until Christmas, so I haven’t had a chance to see it (or smell it) in person. I figured it was just a polystyrene or polyethylene smell. It is also possible to get acrylic that smells like rancid cat piss.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Nevermind. Read some more here and found my 3 bloody feathers....

My Birdbox arrived. It's feather-free......
    Last edited by atomobile; 12-10-2019 at 12:26 PM.